New Team, Old Gear

MTH

21 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

That next picture in the Philly jersey and Habs gear, the glove just looks stupid big. Bad joke

Jokes like that - in this environment - are illegal with us gear mod addicts.

Had me picturing some giant 2 glove combo I could copy. I need all the help I can get.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

That next picture in the Philly jersey and Habs gear, the glove just looks stupid big. Bad joke

You think so? Honestly, I don't think it's so bad (and I tend to want to hammer guys for stupid-oversized gear).

I know the size of gloves and blockers was generally inflated in the 90's, but in this instance I think the design of the D&R glove (kind of a one-piece, and a round shape) makes it look larger than it actually is. The cheater and the pocket are definitely noticeable, but I feel overall it's not that enormous of a glove.

Oddly enough, my mind goes to Hasek and Roy when it comes to huge gloves. These pictures (both from 1996, from what it's worth) kinda show what I'm talking about — not only do they have big features, they just look like they're made for a human of a different size entirely, like a 10-foot giant. Mostly, they just look unwieldy — how did those guys 'flash the leather' and snag NHL shots with those massive things? I guess if they're big enough, you don't need to move them much!

image.thumb.png.8cf2d563581d8b40b13bec7f02c35cdc.png

image.png.bd93d8ac06563baeb43808c0983bfb4e.png

image.png.a1d1f688c06f56f8456666dd579155d3.png

Anyway, here's a really fascinating video from a 1998 conference on goalie equipment size — you see a lot of familiar faces (Roy, Beezer, Healey, Cujo, Bettman, Dryden, Lamoriello, etc) having some (very elementary) discussion on equipment sizing. It's interesting to see how the debate has both evolved and not-evolved over time.

And before I'm accused of hijacking this thread, keep in kind that Roy's still wearing his Montreal pads in those pictures 😜

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

You think so?

I think it's just the angle of the cuff that makes it look almost like the blue area is all glove palm. 

I watched that video in the other thread. I like how most of their attitudes, although they don't say this specifically, is "go ahead and take the outer inch away, we're still making most saves with the middle of our equipment" so it won't achieve what they're looking for. If they really wanted to increase scoring, take away the coaches challenges. 

58 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I think it's just the angle of the cuff that makes it look almost like the blue area is all glove palm. 

I watched that video in the other thread. I like how most of their attitudes, although they don't say this specifically, is "go ahead and take the outer inch away, we're still making most saves with the middle of our equipment" so it won't achieve what they're looking for. If they really wanted to increase scoring, take away the coaches challenges. 

Yeah, I liked that too.

I am kind of in the middle of the goalie equipment debate. I have thought goalie gear is too big for some time now (even with some of the restrictions in the past 10 years), and I am happy that they made C/As smaller, etc. At the same time, I do agree that shrinking goalie equipment will not have much impact on the scoring, and that any scoring drought should be more attributed to better goalies and defensive systems. I guess I resent that goalie equipment is given so much attention, even if I simultaneously agree it should continue to be addressed. It's just something I want done on principle, so that we never have to question the integrity of a goalie based on his gear.

I truly let out a laugh when someone asked Roy in that video, "If a few extra inches don't make a difference, why have the bigger gear" and he responded, "Because it was there!" Nice try, Patrick... but it's not Mt. Everest. I think that's a valid question and a bullshit response. I know we talk about sports having the slimmest margin of error and how athletes will do anything for the competitive edge... but it doesn't matter if you're talking about steroids, sports drinks, or the little necklaces MLB pitchers wear. If you chase any of those things down the logic hole, you ultimately end up with the same conclusion: athletes do these things because they do think it will make a difference, even if it's a small one. Anyone saying otherwise is either being dishonest, or hasn't thought much about it themselves.

• Like 1

Chevy on the Jets:

81QLQgb9vTL._SY587_.jpg

His later Hespeller gear were works of art. Wow wow wee wow!

51AeHoonWjL._SY445_.jpg

Then he was traded to the Flyers for Dom Roussel and subsequently sent to the Flyers minors and played at Hershey (while wearing his Jets McMartin gear)

season-hershey-goaltender-tim-cheveldae-

Start of the next season, played in 2 games for the Bruins:

d8e3bd0aef35b3d6ae85916ce54e7522.jpg

Had a Detroit era mask made for the Bs, but I don't think it saw NHL game action:

309.jpg

311.jpg

Tim last played as a pro in Las Vegas:

cheveldae.jpg

Edited by MTH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one:

Craig Billington was traded from the Devils to Senators. Colors were the same, so the gear worked. The devils mask wasn't too much out of line either too.

4920-334Fr.jpg

a501799d203844962d070b3395a783e3.jpg

Senators paint:

29091703601a_600.jpg

** Of note - per Hockey BD, Biller was traded to the Senators in June 1993. Yet he went into Senators camp and started the season still wearing his Devils mask. Would never happen today. Ever!

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin Hodson was a Detroit goalie in the 90s. 

Started out wearing his all black gear from juniors:

4678e.jpg

59495-3328576Fr.jpg

bfc4db8734cb4623992efd0268a06ee0_front.j

Give him some points for going with the black based gear with red trim. For a Red Wings goalie - way radical.

Eventually went to red and white gear (with black still at first). Even had some OG iceberg pads (kick rocks Cam Ward!!!)

hodson.jpg

3fe883bbb692a9170c02e4d11c862686.jpg

He was traded to the Lightning:

1999_00_Topps__1_558d627a2abb3.jpg

Full Wings gear. Can see the red mask peeking through the black over paint too.

7746193ff7a3410d90b7a2e465409254_front.j

Then he spray bombed those Vaughns...

front.jpg

Last seen rocking some nice Velocity 1s in Tampa Colors. 

season-player-kevin-hodson-of-the-tampa-