Top 50 Saves of ALL-TIME

seagoal

49 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

After today, I’m pretty sure someone’s gonna go full 8. 

Two thigh, one knee, three calf, two boot. 

just think of how HEAVY those would be and LONG it would take to get those on/off.

You speak of heresy, my friend. 

On one hand, that's a nice, long video filled with some great saves for us to enjoy. And I do appreciate the fact that they took the time to put a video like that together. Any goalie or hockey fan would have fun watching that. 

On the other hand, I thought this was, all things considered, not a great list. Now, I am likely to judge that video much more harshly than lots of other hockey fans (even goalies) because I've probably watched every save compilation made by someone over 13 in the history of YouTube. I think I actually thought YouTube was just a goalie highlight generator-app until a few years ago... anyway, there are some compilations with more 'rare' footage, where there are plenty of saves that are clearly better (more acrobatic, more shocking, more stylish, whatever you want to call 'em) than some of the ones on the NHL's Official Top 50 list. I mean, here are just a few in my recent history...

Old School Goalies Vol. 1

Old School Goalies Vol. 2

Best of the 80's and 90's

Winningest Goalies of the 90's

Winningest Goalies of the 00's

Puh-lenty of saves that are easily "better" than some of the ones on this list, especially numbers 50 down to 30. And those are just with video footage that people at home were able to acquire. Can you imagine the NHL's vault of footage? 

I accept that there's bound to be a recency bias — saves go viral (or at least get shared) very easily in today's uber-connected world. Everyone sees every highlight the next day, and if they don't, there are daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly compilations and countdowns to make sure they see them. Plus, the game is faster and the players are more athletic than ever before... there are bound to be tons of eye-popping saves. 

But some of these choices are just lazy. What was with those Schneider saves? I mean, great stops, I remember going wild for both of them when those games were on. But those are two of the best saves in NHL history? Get the hell outta here with that. 

Ultimately, some of these less-than-impressive saves can be attributed to the fact that as much as these compilations are given official titles — "NHL Top 50 Saves of All Time"! — they're not being thought about that much. Our ravenous media consumption has created an environment where companies and creators are expected to just shit out "content" at a never-ending rate. "Listicles", compilations, embedded tweet-stories, click-bait, redundant op-eds, etc etc etc. So while I'm sure some thought went into the selection of these saves, and there was likely *some* panel that helped determine the order and ensure certain saves got in there, I doubt it was nearly as thorough or official as the title suggests. And I'm sure after they got some really famous, iconic saves in there (there are at least 30 of them, no doubt), they probably just plugged up the rest of the spots with "some really sick saves from the past few years".

It's all good, but I would like to think that the NHL (not a YouTuber with a Patreon account) with all it's video footage, resources, money, experts, and historians, could sink a little more time and thought into a video that you're claiming is "The Top 50 Saves of All Time". 

Having said that, 99.9% of the people who ever watch that will enjoy it, and be amazed by all the saves. But yes, I tend to think that people that are at our general level of knowledge and fanaticism, would be a bit disappointed with this list.

On a more positive note, I was happy that Brian Boucher save on Patrik Elias made the list! I remember watching that game in the spring of 2000, and it was probably the craziest save I'd ever seen at that time (I was 12). It was impossible to find on YouTube for a while, and the recordings I found were of poor quality. I had begun to wonder if the save was really as amazing as I remembered it, but goddamn, it is. So much going for it...

• High pressure game: Eastern Conference Final — check
  • Great opponent: Patrik Elias was possessed in the 2000 season — check
  • Exciting scenario: Puck squirts out of the Devils zone, Elias wins a footrace, gets a breakaway — check
  • Acrobatic: Uh, ya — check!
  • Hero-Factor: His mask flies off and he stays completely involved in the play, no whistle — check
  • Creativity and desperation: Hardly worth mentioning, but so many amazing saves are the result of poor positioning, or just a total fuck-up (makes them no less exciting in my eyes). And I think most of us know that even some of the more creative NHL saves are something the goalie knew they were going to do, more or less (Hasek is a great example). But when I watch this play, I still think Boucher missed an honest poke-check, realized he was beat, and just did the only possible thing his body allowed for. I love and respect Hasek rollovers and scorpion saves as much as anyone, but I always think the creativity of this save is particularly instinctual.
  • Great commentators: Say what you will about ESPN and hockey, I miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement like you couldn't believe — they were terrific. Check.
  • Cursing: Someone on the Flyers wasn't too happy at the 4-second mark... check

Man 45min? I need to find some time to watch the whole thing. Watched the first 10 min or so, some were classic, like Quicks save. Brodeurs "scorpion" save has to be in there as well. But really, there are so many insane saves in the NHL day in and day out, who's to say which makes the "Top 50 of All Time" cut? I'd say it has to not only be an amazing save, but one that alot of people remember, or something crazier than usual, and preferably at a clutch time (like in OT, Finals, etc.). Just for example, Richters penalty shot save on Bure in the Cup Finals. It was not just a great save, but clutch, everyone was watching, etc..

I'd say for the NHL to release a "Top 50 saves of All Time" it could definitely be done better than this. Two Corey Schneider saves in the first 10 min is really uncalled for.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, estogoalie said:

Man 45min? I need to find some time to watch the whole thing. Watched the first 10 min or so, some were classic, like Quicks save. Brodeurs "scorpion" save has to be in there as well. But really, there are so many insane saves in the NHL day in and day out, who's to say which makes the "Top 50 of All Time" cut? I'd say it has to not only be an amazing save, but one that alot of people remember, or something crazier than usual, and preferably at a clutch time (like in OT, Finals, etc.). Just for example, Richters penalty shot save on Bure in the Cup Finals. It was not just a great save, but clutch, everyone was watching, etc..

I'd say for the NHL to release a "Top 50 saves of All Time" it could definitely be done better than this. Two Corey Schneider saves in the first 10 min is really uncalled for.

Skip to the last 2 minutes or so and they do a quick recap of 50-2 leading into #1...if you haven't watched it already.  I know this was posted a month ago.

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Skip to the last 2 minutes or so and they do a quick recap of 50-2 leading into #1...if you haven't watched it already.  I know this was posted a month ago.

Solid Pro Tip; I had skipped this because of the length. Now I got to watch it, and while it has filled me with an enormous feeling of "meh," it only cost me ~2:00. LOL!

Agree with the posts about recency bias/availability of footage etc. I've been reading a lot about Original six era goaltending (I've always been a huge fan of that era in general), and while I'm not about to go searching for it now, I'm pretty sure I've seen film of Bower or Hall get hit in the face, fall down, and make an incredible save on the next shot. And so many more "how did he do that?" saves from that era, from Sawchuk, Plante, Worsley, and others that stand alongside today's saves even without considering the glacial pace evolution of goalie protective equipment over those decades. Factor in the banana blades in the 60s, and it becomes exponentially more impressive.

How does at least one of those giants of goaltending NOT make an alleged "all time" list? I suspect a temp/student, or some other younger member of that larger demographic that believes 5-10 years before their own consciousness constitutes the entirety of relevant history was given the task of compiling this. I also suspect there is a perceived intolerance/impatience for black and white in a world of HD and 4K viewing experiences, much the way average audiences cannot abide subtitles in their movies. So if the makers of this were purposely pandering or wistfully ignorant, that's fine. Just don't call it something that it so egregiously isn't.

Phew! That turned into a bit of a rant there. As you were.

Archived