Maltese 2.0??? Roughneck

cwarnar

looks like a lot of the reps are also former Maltese guys. 

I do get it.  It's lighter and more comfortable than the off the rack big company versions.  I don't know that it's demonstrably more protective but what do I know.  And if you've ever taken a puck to the throat you want something good.  A buddy of mine spent the night in the ER after taking a puck to the throat and had been using a dangler (no throat protector).  

To my way of thinking, anything that protects something that is vital (head, throat, nuts) is worth spending money on.  

Defiantly a side company for Passau, Maybe we should be asking @GoalieTimmy33 for more info...

From ICANN: 

Contact Information

Registrant Contact

Name:
Organization: Passau Hockey
Mailing Address: , Quebec CA
Phone:
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:

Admin Contact

Name:
Organization:
Mailing Address: ,
Phone:
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:

Tech Contact

Name:
Organization:
Mailing Address: ,
Phone:
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:

On 12/21/2018 at 11:18 AM, cwarnar said:

Launched on GGSU this morning...

https://roughneckprotection.com/english

Interesting that the company address is the same as Passau.  I still have no clue how people are dropping this kind of money on a neck guard

Agree, I don't get it....my chesty does the job and under I got Bauer Vapors...don't flintch you won't get hit in the neck. 

3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Launched on GGSU this morning...

https://roughneckprotection.com/english

Interesting that the company address is the same as Passau.  I still have no clue how people are dropping this kind of money on a neck guard

because they did a good job of making people think that its a proprietary material.  It was definitely unique in that nobody else was using anything like that at the time, especially when it was originally gel, but its not something that anyone can't go out and buy and use a little ingenuity to make or upgrade their own gear. 

My old neck guard cost me about $50 to make and it was a Vaughn unit I got on clearance that I removed the stock foam and replaced it with a 3/8" piece of Shocktec Air2Gel HD that I glued to a piece of Kydex for additional structure.  

My mask kind of shredded the Vaughn material over the years so I need to make another, but the next one will have some Jenpro on top for durability.  When I pulled the foam pieces out, they were still good as new.  Very durable stuff that's for sure.

10 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

looks like the old maltese reps.  

@Chenner29 is the best man to answer this... but in the interim, I think I have this right.

Eco Pro is the stock option and there not going to be many options for it. It could eventually go retail.

Roughneck is designed around custom direct 2 consumer products.

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Agree, I don't get it....my chesty does the job and under I got Bauer Vapors...don't flintch you won't get hit in the neck. 

Looks like we got a cowboy over here.

I'll tell you about the last time I was hit in the neck. My team was lined up for warmup like normal. I was looking at Shooter A ready for his shot. Shooter B, two guys over wasn't wearing his glasses, and so he thought I nodded at him to take his shot. BOOM. Right on my unprotected neck. Just below the jaw line where no chest protector on earth covers and right beside my dangler. I went down hard.

My point is, s*** happens. Hockey is unpredictable. Sometimes you'll lose the puck and it will come from somewhere you don't expect it. Pucks will always find the one spot on your gear you aren't protected. If you're okay with that, and want to run that risk, no one's stopping you. But don't you think it's a little absurd to deride people that don't want to take that risk and companies that develop products for people that don't want to take that risk? We aren't pros. If we miss a day of work due to injury, we don't get sick leave and paid medical. 

6 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

@Chenner29 - can you fill us in? :)

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Chenner29 is the best man to answer this... but in the interim, I think I have this right.

Eco Pro is the stck option and there not going to by many options for it. It could eventually go retail.

Roughneck is designed around custom direct 2 consumer products.

The biggest difference with the Roughneck product when compared to the old Maltese, new EcoFoam is the composition of internal padding.

The Maltese used a 1/8" HD gel backed by 1/4" SD gel.  I believe the Eco is the same.

The Roughneck will be using a layer of traditional HD foam over the SD EcoFoam gel.
These units also have two dips, one in front and one behind the neck for mobility.
The collar height on these can also be customized. 

The Eco units do have a custom print option, and basic colors should be actively stocked in sizes S-L. 
I have only seen Eco units come out in 2" collar heights with front dip.

28 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

These units also have two dips, one in front and one behind the neck for mobility

After a few skates in my ecopro this is something I wish it had. Also I apparently have a short neck, so collar height would be cool too. 

5 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Looks like we got a cowboy over here.

I'll tell you about the last time I was hit in the neck. My team was lined up for warmup like normal. I was looking at Shooter A ready for his shot. Shooter B, two guys over wasn't wearing his glasses, and so he thought I nodded at him to take his shot. BOOM. Right on my unprotected neck. Just below the jaw line where no chest protector on earth covers and right beside my dangler. I went down hard.

My point is, s*** happens. Hockey is unpredictable. Sometimes you'll lose the puck and it will come from somewhere you don't expect it. Pucks will always find the one spot on your gear you aren't protected. If you're okay with that, and want to run that risk, no one's stopping you. But don't you think it's a little absurd to deride people that don't want to take that risk and companies that develop products for people that don't want to take that risk? We aren't pros. If we miss a day of work due to injury, we don't get sick leave and paid medical. 

It's a choice just like everything else in life, and which hockey equipment to use. I'm okay with the vapors covering me with my chesty.  I've taken shots close to the neck on my shoulders which were fine...unless something major happens I'm okay. 

I'm not putting down anyone for using it, the price is just absurd. Use it if needed.  Plus you got hit cuz of your teams stupidity not in game.  

10 hours ago, kedjlng3 said:

I stopped following goalie forums for quite a while and now slowly coming back- is Maltese now defunct (and when did this happen/leading circumstances?)

In the last six months or less they apparently had cash flow issues and are now basically done.

15 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's a choice just like everything else in life, and which hockey equipment to use. I'm okay with the vapors covering me with my chesty.  I've taken shots close to the neck on my shoulders which were fine...unless something major happens I'm okay. 

I'm not putting down anyone for using it, the price is just absurd. Use it if needed.  Plus you got hit cuz of your teams stupidity not in game.  

I myself got a slapper from the point straight to the throat and it saved me.

A player slashed me in the side of the neck when he twisted to get back on into the rush/backcheck. It was unwilling but it still happened.

I believe in my Maltese.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

don't flintch you won't get hit in the neck. 

@mr_shifty1982, This is just a stupid comment!!!! I'm pretty sure Malechuk didn't flinch when his throat was slashed. It would make more sense if you say "do everything right and you'll reduce the risk" but to say "don't flinch you won't get hit in the neck"  is just asinine.

Wear something or don't, every one has the choice. Roughneck looks like a decent option. 

1 hour ago, old but slow said:

@mr_shifty1982, This is just a stupid comment!!!! I'm pretty sure Malechuk didn't flinch when his throat was slashed. It would make more sense if you say "do everything right and you'll reduce the risk" but to say "don't flinch you won't get hit in the neck"  is just asinine.

Wear something or don't, every one has the choice. Roughneck looks like a decent option. 

Actually yes, alot of guys DO flinch... some play scared and when some shots that target your chest, go way high end up on your neck!

People can do as please, I'm not judging. 

6 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Actually yes, alot of guys DO flinch... some play scared and when some shots that target your chest, go way high end up on your neck!

People can do as please, I'm not judging. 

never said people don't flinch or that people should or shouldn't flinch. just think that not flinching won't prevent  getting hit in the neck/throat.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:27 AM, thebigm said:

When you wear a maltese and have been hit in the throat and collar bone you will understand!

Yup. Worth it.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:47 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Nonsense. Next you'll tell me you don't wear seat belts because you've never been in a crash. The line of thinking is just simply illogical.

Now, if you were to say "because I don't like it" or "because I don't want to", then thats different. 

Archived