Mask strapping style

It seems to me like there are two main styles of mask strapping, around the back of the mask or under the edge.

I'm wondering if one is better than the other for securing the mask and preventing the straps from popping off? Or if it's just personal preference.

Interested in getting your opinions on what you use/prefer and why?

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

8 hours ago, Isles12 said:

It seems to me like there are two main styles of mask strapping, around the back of the mask or under the edge.

I'm wondering if one is better than the other for securing the mask and preventing the straps from popping off? Or if it's just personal preference.

Interested in getting your opinions on what you use/prefer and why?

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

There's really only 1 "stock" and that's the top. If you have anything other than a Pro's Choice, no one would recommend this 2nd strapping style.

Pro's Choice dictates to certain clients that they strap their masks like Hellebuyck does. I believe it's to change to the angle of how the mask sits on the face.

@SaveByRichter35 @Chenner29 - Any insight why Dom does this?

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

There's really only 1 "stock" and that's the top. If you have anything other than a Pro's Choice, no one would recommend this 2nd strapping style.

Pro's Choice dictates to certain clients that they strap their masks like Hellebuyck does. I believe it's to change to the angle of how the mask sits on the face.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this. 

Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'll be strapping under the edge then. I used to have the straps the way Hellebuyck does but was having my straps pop off a lot so I switched it. Although seeing both styles used in the NHL made me wonder if it made any difference

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

This is the first time I’ve heard of this. 

There's a handful on NHL guys doing this with Pro's Choice. I don't know Dom, but I know someone who seems to know Pro's Choice well and he said Dom recommends this to certain people.

I've been forcing my mask to do this for 10 years.  I use some duct tape to hold the straps at the bottom edge so it can wrap around the back, otherwise it'd slip down.  If i had a long neck, I could wear it the way it's meant to be used, but, I have a short, fat neck that causes issues with me turning my head, just like in the pics above.  Short neck? The around the back method helps with short neck.  It keeps the straps off my Maltese as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 9:03 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I've never specifically heard anything about Dom suggesting this but I do know that majority of people who do/have done this happen to wear a PC so maybe there is something to it?

Speaking of strapping styles, I've recently switched from a lifetime of Bauer masks to a Sportmask and the strapping style is definitely noticeable.  There is a bit more "flop" on the top of my head than I was use to in a Bauer, due to the Sportmask harness lacking a top strap. 

Had a conversation with @cwarnar about it and it was agreed that it takes a handful of skates to get used to it and stop noticing the difference. 

Just thought it'd be useful for some folks to add Sportmask to this conversation.

image.png.77e5dec5d642198320168bea7ff3c95a.png

Archived