Lundquist and NYR

Fullright

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to properly rebuild when your goalie steals you points constantly. When Lundqvist plays just average, you see how bad they really are. Who even are their top players? Do they have a face other than Hank? This team has no direction, they look disoriented, offense and defense don't know what each other are doing, etc. That team's defense is also a joke. It's pretty much all AHL caliber guys (I include Other Staal in this sentiment). The greatest goalie since Hasek is gonna go without a cup. That in itself is depressing. The fact that this team doesn't even have a top-end guy in any position to bank the future on, even more so. 

At least Florida has that top line for Lou. The rest of that team though...yikes.

As a Devils fan, I've never wished anything but losses and failure on Hank and the Rangers (nothing personal!) But now that it seems fairly apparent that the Rangers' Cup window has closed for the foreseeable future, and that Hank will likely never win a Cup with them, I can take off my Hater Hat a bit... and I do find myself feeling bad for the guy (or as bad as I can feel for someone with his lifestyle/money/looks/profession/popularity).

As much as my Inner Hater would love to see Hank dent his resume and reputation by joining a myriad of other teams to chase a Cup and fail, the better part of me hopes he retires a New York Ranger. It's increasingly rare to see a player of his caliber play for one team for their whole career ... I was so bummed when Brodeur signed with the Blues — not even because he was no longer playing for my favorite team, but because I really wanted him to be in that special class of one-team Hall of Famers.

The Rangers and Hank have been through a lot together, and I think it would be a classy move to stick it out to the end. I would never fault a player for chasing a Cup at the end of their career (their life, their prerogative, and many of them really do wait until the very end of their career to do it), but deep down, I've always felt it was kinda lame. Plus, I can't think of many players who have such a close tie to the city they play in, or who have embraced the culture to such an extent, as Hank. He took to Manhattan like a fish to water, and the city and fans have always loved that. It's not just hard to imagine him in another jersey... it's hard to imagine him living somewhere else (besides Sweden, of course).

Stick it out, Hank. It's not the same thing, but should you never win a Cup, some of that emptiness would be filled by the pride and deep satisfaction of seeing a job through to the very end.

14 hours ago, Moose75 said:

It's hard to properly rebuild when your goalie steals you points constantly. When Lundqvist plays just average, you see how bad they really are. Who even are their top players? Do they have a face other than Hank? This team has no direction, they look disoriented, offense and defense don't know what each other are doing, etc. That team's defense is also a joke. It's pretty much all AHL caliber guys (I include Other Staal in this sentiment). The greatest goalie since Hasek is gonna go without a cup. That in itself is depressing. The fact that this team doesn't even have a top-end guy in any position to bank the future on, even more so. 

At least Florida has that top line for Lou. The rest of that team though...yikes.

Agreed. I could see Rangers' management or fans getting mad at him.

In the last 2 seasons his numbers are not great including this one, I have seen him getting pulled waaaay too many times, perhaps his team infront of him isn't great sure, team can't score but he isn't stopping the puck.  He's on the decline....he passed his prime.  If the Rangers want a full rebuild perhaps it's time.  Don't pull a Vancouver with the twins.

The Rangers are in big-time rebuilding mode right now, I'm kind of surprised to see Hank still there. I mean I know he's a god in NY, but considering he's in his late 30's and the team is rebuilding, I kind of thought they would start to edge him to the bench more and make room for some younger guy who could go forward with the new team (sorta like Brodeur/Schneider in Marty's last days). We'll see. But yea, I feel bad for the guy, he always looks so sad when they get burnt and lose. Well, I guess as sad as I can feel for a multi-millionaire with a bunch of Ferraris or whatever... Anyway, I'm a Richter fan, no matter how good Hank may play, Mikey is always #1 with me (Stanly Cup 94, World Cup 96, MVP and deservedly so)

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

The Rangers are in big-time rebuilding mode right now, I'm kind of surprised to see Hank still there. I mean I know he's a god in NY, but considering he's in his late 30's and the team is rebuilding, I kind of thought they would start to edge him to the bench more and make room for some younger guy who could go forward with the new team (sorta like Brodeur/Schneider in Marty's last days). We'll see. But yea, I feel bad for the guy, he always looks so sad when they get burnt and lose. Well, I guess as sad as I can feel for a multi-millionaire with a bunch of Ferraris or whatever... Anyway, I'm a Richter fan, no matter how good Hank may play, Mikey is always #1 with me (Stanly Cup 94, World Cup 96, MVP and deservedly so)

Its sad bc hes blaming himself and putting undeserved/unneeded burdens on himself. I admire his loyalty to the Rangers but it just makes no sense for him to stay there imo

That's the thing of it...like him or not - I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch - but he hasn't blamed the lack of support publicly as far as I know and he always seems to take the "blame" saying he should have done this or that. Pretty classy in this day and age for a highly skilled player who is just getting his ass kicked. 

17 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Hank, Lou and Kipper are the ones I'm the most sad about not winning a cup. 

All of these guys are/were some of my favorite goalies I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Throw Hasek in there too. Hasek's Nagano '98 run was the reason 8-year old me entertained the idea of trying goalie (albeit roller hockey) in the first place. Prior to that I just collected hockey cards and watched the Rangers with my dad.

Archived