-Pekka Rinne NSH

Pacific Division 

-Marc-Andre Fleury VGK

-John Gibson ANA

Just looking externally:

CCM 5/8

Bauer 2/8

Vaughn 1/8

Lots of leather straps and buckles in this crew, folks. 

CCM appears the be crushing usage numbers this season, overall.

7 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Voted on by whom? I'm fairly certain only the captains were a public vote this year.

That's correct. 

The bulk are chosen by the league hockey operations department.  They need popular stars there that draw eyeballs.

Price is as popular as it gets for goalies. 

They could , alternatively, just choose goalie by statistics, but that wouldn't guarantee stars are there.

I'm sure they'd admit it isn't about the best, it's about stars.

What it should be:

Atlantic: Vasilevskiy / Andersen

Metro: Hank / DeSmith or Lehner (both have high save percentages and GSAAs, pick one)

Central: Rinne / Dubnyk (Hey they got one right!)

Pacific: Gibson (AKA the Ducks) / Rittich (AKA Flavor of the Month)

I really dislike how they select All-Stars with the current format, and some of the snubs this year are especially egregious. But then again...

• This event (and everything in sports, really) exists to make money.
  • Name recognition is everything in an ASG. This is one of the main chances the NHL has to promote player personalities, and they're going to want to do it with their biggest stars, regardless of whether they're having an All-Star worthy season.

• Children are still the target demographic for the ASG, and children gravitate towards the big names — they tend not to be as enchanted as adults are with breakout prospects, no-name guys having a career season, etc. Just another reason you can usually count on the NHL to take the big names over smaller, more deserving players.

• ASGs are something that smaller markets and bad teams DO care about. Having a player in the ASG is something the fans of struggling teams can hang their hat on a little, and it's something the organization can promote (it's good for their bottom line, after all). I wouldn't even be surprised if it was something the owners asked for. I think that's why the NHL made it so that every team gets a player in the game, not some "snowflake, Millennial entitlement!!!1" as I've seen some cool Facebook Dads asserting in comments sections. But I digress... having players from every team is just another way that more deserving players get snubbed. 

• This is a 3-on-3 tournament where players don't hit, try trick shots, have fun with each other, etc. It's not real hockey, or even real competition. 

At the end of the day, this is a silly-fun promotional event to market big stars. It doesn't mean I like it, but I think any fan who's angry about snubs (and I'm not saying anyone on this thread is) would do well to remind themselves how gimmicky the whole concept is. I don't think it's a meaningful slight when someone doesn't make the cut (Vasilevsky), nor is it that meaningful of an honor to be named (Price). It does kinda suck that "being an All-Star" has been rendered less meaningful... at least when fans voted, you tended to get the best of the best. But even then, it was just a popularity contest, and subject to plenty of flaws. At the end of the day, if I may quote the Godfather, "It's nothing personal, it's just business".

8 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

at least when fans voted, you tended to get the best of the best. But even then, it was just a popularity contest, and subject to plenty of flaws. At the end of the day, if I may quote the Godfather, "It's nothing personal, it's just business".

You mean All-Star John Scott wasn't an actual bonafide All-Star?

194116661_JOHNSCOTT.thumb.jpg.c22668d8a4a1ca2d4784cc9b771fd611.jpg

9 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'll throw in a back-up Wild Card:  Saros and Rinne in the Central.  

What a duo those two are.  

Saros isn't having a good season so far though (.903 save percentage is worse than Price. -2.39 GSAA is a little better than Price), whereas Dubnyk is the only other guy having a decent one in that division. I doubt they'd let Varlamov in.

Fair enough. 

But following @stackem30, this isn't about the best and technically speaking there is no hockey played at an All-star game. It's a 3on3 tourney designed to wow people with offensive displays and charisma.

It's about fun and stars.  I think Saros is both and he's on my ballot :)

Same for Halak, who's got awesome stats right now.  

14 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Mr. Andersen such a great season and isn't there? What a joke, plus Price is just coming off an injury, does he really need to be there?

JOKE

Neither is Marner or Rielly who should both be there too. It is what it is. Like somebody else said, it's an event for the big names and not really whos having the best season.

As a huge Detroit fan, I hate Howard with a passion. There is no way (IMO) that he should be at the ASG. There are so many more out there that are better at what he does. And I would argue that he's not even that popular, so he's not "drawing in" a crowd like Price would just because of the name.

Other than that, I do agree that  Vasilevsky should be there.

7 minutes ago, loki1416 said:

As a huge Detroit fan, I hate Howard with a passion. There is no way (IMO) that he should be at the ASG. There are so many more out there that are better at what he does. And I would argue that he's not even that popular, so he's not "drawing in" a crowd like Price would just because of the name.

Other than that, I do agree that  Vasilevsky should be there.

Howard has the third best SV% of the group and is in the middle for GAA.

While he's not a superstar so to speak, he's in line with the rest of the cast and honestly, who else should go from Detroit? Larkin with 39 points?

30 minutes ago, Max27 said:

in all honesty he completley couldve gone lol hes 1st in both GAA and Save% but I see putting Hank and Holtbeast above him 

9 wins in 19 games isn't going to do him any favours.

Plus, the guy is a bit of a nutcase with almost zero star appeal. NHL don't like dem type o' fellas

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

9 wins in 19 games isn't going to do him any favours.

Plus, the guy is a bit of a nutcase with almost zero star appeal. NHL don't like dem type o' fellas

Yeah I do see why they didnt put him in lol wouldve been really good for him though, considering the year hes had. His record doesnt really speak for how he plays. Ive watched every minute of every game the Isles have played this season and really only 1 loss i can blame him for

Archived