Adjusting to new chest protector

Max27

Hey all,

I have found, despite being about 6'2, that my size Large V7 chest protector is way too big for me. I find my mobility just isnt there, something I find crucial to have. It covers a lot of the goal but I cant move well in it and i feel clunky.

Despite being 6'2 Im not super "built" so-to speak. Not that Im weak,just not super "broad" I guess you could say. Im only abt 185 lbs and even at the tightest connection-points on my V7, it still feels loose and floppy. Its too long on the arms and the chest goes down too far for my liking. I tried the G4 Medium, and it felt better, but I still felt clunky in it, like what I have felt on my V7.

I got my V7 pre-owned and didnt have to break it in, so I dont have any real ideas on how to break in C&As. Can anyone help? Any feedback is appreciated. 

Have you felt not-clunky before?  What are you comparing this clunkyness to?

I've broken mine in by hanging it in the shower with the water on all the way hot and the door closed, not in direct contact with the water.  Wait for it to warm up, put it on, strap it up how I want it, and then just move around in it. 

Beyond that it's just wearing it.  There's not too much you can do to expedite a C&A for break-in.

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Have you felt not-clunky before?  What are you comparing this clunkyness to?

I've broken mine in by hanging it in the shower with the water on all the way hot and the door closed, not in direct contact with the water.  Wait for it to warm up, put it on, strap it up how I want it, and then just move around in it. 

Beyond that it's just wearing it.  There's not too much you can do to expedite a C&A for break-in.

I felt fine when I got it, but started to loosen all around as months went on. 

Im meaning clunky that its like floppy. It always felt a little big but I never really noticed it until recently.

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I see.

If it's too big it'll definitely bog you down.  Our C&A is the most cumbersome piece of gear we have already, especially if it's too big.  Just size down, seems like an easy fix.

yeah that's what I did, I ordered a Small in the mail that should arrive any day now

was just wondering if there was any special things I should do to break it in besides wear it. Ill try the thing w the shower you mentioned, I did that w my Greiss glove to make it close easier and it definitely works 

6 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah that's what I did, I ordered a Small in the mail that should arrive any day now

was just wondering if there was any special things I should do to break it in besides wear it. Ill try the thing w the shower you mentioned, I did that w my Greiss glove to make it close easier and it definitely works 

Nice. 

Any combination of moisture and heat will help break-in gear, no matter what it is.  Some might not like to do it or use other methods, but moisture and heat work.

Breaking-in is just making something that is stiff and inflexible softer and flexible.

What'd you order?

You're starting to overhaul your gear, eh?  Good on you.

18 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice. 

Any combination of moisture and heat will help break-in gear, no matter what it is.  Some might not like to do it or use other methods, but moisture and heat work.

Breaking-in is just making something that is stiff and inflexible softer and flexible.

What'd you order?

You're starting to overhaul your gear, eh?  Good on you.

i ordered a G4 SR. Heard from all the reviews of it online that its great and I have a medium rn and it feels great, just a little too big. Once my Small comes im gonna sell the v7 and return the Medium to goaliemonkey

and yeah i am lol ive replaced my gloves (old vaughn v5 blocker and reebok mitt to greiss ones) Skates, Mask, Pants (got new S190s in the mail td), and once i find a job (was planning on looking over winter break but got sick) gonna save up for new leg pads. Not sure if ill go w the PVEs but ill cross that bridge when i get to it

14 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Take a hot shower while wearing it. Itll break in real fast that way.

Ill check that out lol seems like itll work 

35 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@Max27 what’s your wingspan?  I wore a large Vaughn and am 5’9”.  I have a long torso tho and moved into a large GT Pro.

I’m not sure the clunky or floppy feeling may be related to the chestie not being adjusted properly?  

I have a 68' wingspan. I referenced tightness as a possible cause of the floppiness bc it could make the chestie too loose on my torso

my torso is rather small for my height though 

12 hours ago, Isles12 said:

Jesus are you a Boeing 747 or what? Jk, but how do you wear your C&A and pants? Have you tried tying them through the belly loop? May make it feel less floppy

😂😂😂

i wear my chest protector tucked in, on my old e1.9 pants there was these 2 clips on the inside that you  click to the chest protector and i used those, and i made a little clip in the back that you click from the back of the chest protector to the pants, still just felt kinda big. My new s190s have an internal belt and i got suspenders as well for my g4 c&a

• 10 months later...

Wore the CCM AB Pro Medium yesterday for first time. Man i really dislike wearing brand new stuff. I was almost thinking before I left the house to bring my old one with me but i left without it. I gotta get into this new one now. It fits fine ... the arms feel weird. They aren't too long or short just stiff and a bit more bulky. I did notice cuff of catcher wasn't clearing around wrist all the way. My old one went fit nicely into cuff of glove. 

Movement took a little to get use to but after about a half hour it was feeling good. Neck gaurd seemed to be fine underneath it. I go untucked, untied and no suspenders over the top. Overall it seems like it will be a good addition to my arsenal but may need to tweak the arms a bit. 

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

Wore the CCM AB Pro Medium yesterday for first time. Man i really dislike wearing brand new stuff. I was almost thinking before I left the house to bring my old one with me but i left without it. I gotta get into this new one now. It fits fine ... the arms feel weird. They aren't too long or short just stiff and a bit more bulky. I did notice cuff of catcher wasn't clearing around wrist all the way. My old one went fit nicely into cuff of glove. 

Movement took a little to get use to but after about a half hour it was feeling good. Neck gaurd seemed to be fine underneath it. I go untucked, untied and no suspenders over the top. Overall it seems like it will be a good addition to my arsenal but may need to tweak the arms a bit. 

Chesties are a love/hate thing for me. I may finally buck up and buy a Brown. I was considering a Passau, but I was supposed to meet someone to show an example to me and was stood up twice, literally 30 minutes from when we were to meet.

I always feel something lacks with a Chesty for me. Arms too long, stiff, floppy. Never found one I truly love...

On 1/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, Max27 said:

I felt fine when I got it, but started to loosen all around as months went on. 

Im meaning clunky that its like floppy. It always felt a little big but I never really noticed it until recently.

Same exact problem with mine. My waist part seemed to get way bigger on my chest protector. Tie skate lace around the whole lower body. Like tie it around ur abs part of ur stomach all the way around, not too tight or you will feel shots in a bad way. Should keep everything in place really well

Archived