Step steel and sharpen question

daffy

So back in the day i used a graf 750 boot with old Bauer supreme cowling.  Soft steel and i used 3/8 sharpen.  Loved the sharp edge.  I have weaker ankles i guess so i leaned in and the edges had lots of bite.

Figured i should move to more updated skates and now use Easton Makos that are super stiff with Vaughn cowlings (like the long blade).  Last season i had Bauer Reactor boots and at 3/8 provided lots of bite.  Boot wasnt as stiff.

This season i went to the Mako boots and black step steel blades.  Im on 3/8 sharpen but feel like i have no bite at all unless i widen my stance.  Wider stance is fine if a guy is in tight but makes it tough to shuffle side to side.  Is the black step steel that much harder?  Im thinking the stiffer boot keep my foot more upright which perhaps does grip as well then?  Not sure what to do here.  My shop says they can go sharper but though 3/8 is pretty sharp already.  Just wondering if i need to go to a softer boot again to allow my feet to collapse inward more and get some bite.  Really like the Mako boots as i dont have any foot pain.  Trying to find an answer......thoughts?

Just had them profiled a couple of weeks ago.  Talked with my skate guy today and he seems to think the stiffer boot has something to do with it.  So the stiffer boot might affect my technigue.  So there is an adjustment for me yet.

Guess all i can do is play around with the hollow and find the right sharpen.

Archived