Broken Collarbone

Beezer201

3 minutes ago, Beezer201 said:

My bone density is fine bud, the level of Brown fan boys on here is unreal. Guys will walk around with pulmonary embolisms thanks to their Brown chesties and they’ll blame themselves for getting black and blues easily. “It’s just a blood clot, no biggie, hockey is a dangerous sport!” Smh

I respect that Brown has been around forever and built up a loyal following. However, I do understand your opinion there. On GSBB and now on here, there seems to be some opinions boardering on group think that Brown's are perfect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I respect that Brown has been around forever and built up a loyal following. However, I do understand your opinion there. On GSBB and now on here, there seems to be some opinions boardering on group think that Brown's are perfect.

I don't think they're perfect, far from it.  But anyone who thinks that a stock Vaughn will be more protective has been hit on the head a few too many times.  Now the Passau Pro Pack, that's as near to perfect as you can get.  ;)

I think we need to walk this whole debate back a bit. The OP is understandably upset because of a serious injury that has real life consequences. He didn’t do anything wrong to get this injury.

He has some accurate observations on the John Brown Hockey company. Such as, they were behind the curve in terms of innovation (They innovated early on with mask making and chest and arm design), they aren’t heavily represented professionally (Except for a niche in the KHL) especially in the NHL and their neck protector didn’t protect him.

However, the Injury occurred because of a design flaw in the integrated neck guard. Said neck guard is merely a thick soft foam ring that is attached only by unpadded material (vinyl?). Brown seems to be the only manufacturer that includes an integrated neck guard as an option on their units. Perhaps the other manufacturers realized that the only effective way to protect the collarbone and neck/throat area was to have a separate unit. Brown also has a separate neck guard as an accessory. Maybe they should inform the consumer that the integrated neck guard is not as protective as the separate neck guard. Or they can discontinue altogether the integrated neck guard and sell the separate neck guard only. 

Furthermore, the actual Brown chest and arm unit is quite robust and is often cited as the most protective in the industry albeit the heaviest and hottest to wear. In other words, had this shot, or any shot for that matter, actually hit the chest and arm unit itself there wouldn’t have been an injury. Likely there wouldn’t have been any pain whatsoever. 

I’m pretty sure that covers the whole discussion.

Phew. I need to catch my breath. 

2 hours ago, Beezer201 said:

My bone density is fine bud, the level of Brown fan boys on here is unreal. Guys will walk around with pulmonary embolisms thanks to their Brown chesties and they’ll blame themselves for getting black and blues easily. “It’s just a blood clot, no biggie, hockey is a dangerous sport!” Smh

No need to be touchy, bud — the guy said, "with all due respect and absolutely no sarcasm" and made a suggestion about your health to try and help you out.

I'm sorry you broke your collarbone, really — I separated my shoulder very badly a few months back, and I understand that's a rough headspace to be in. You made your thread, and you've expressed your opinions more than a few times. People can agree with you, or not agree with you. It's not up to you to change their minds and decide what gear they should or shouldn't wear.

Now you're putting contrived, hyperbolic words in people's mouths, making weak-ass jokes about pulmonary embolisms, and calling them Brown fanboys ... because they don't share your opinion? Grow up.

@Beezer201 For the record, I am not a "Brown fanboy" - I have never owned a piece of Brown gear and currently am in a Bauer Elite (senior) CA - which is about as protective as a winter jacket. All I know about Brown is what I have heard on these forums which has been mostly positive - I would probably consider one if/when I ever upgrade.

My question about bone density was only a suggestion as again, you said (not me) the shot wasn't that hard. Your response to this seemed a bit defensive so to that end I will say don't worry, I wasn't questioning your masculinity. My only response would be, however,  how do you know?  Have you had it checked?

Feel free to go your own way, hopefully you will find what you are looking for, but personally, I don't have time to filter through your anger-filled diatribes to see if there is really any meat to it.

8 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't think they're perfect, far from it.  But anyone who thinks that a stock Vaughn will be more protective has been hit on the head a few too many times.  Now the Passau Pro Pack, that's as near to perfect as you can get.  ;)

Not an advocate of a stock Vaughn either, haha

Just always like to encourage people to cosnider multiple options 

There is a stock Vaughn that doesn’t require any extra padding, the Ventus LT98. I’ve been using a grey and orange one for like 3 years and haven’t had any issue, even with the arms. Just a thought. Design hasn’t changed much to the present. Looks like the Ventus SLR carbon is what it’s called now. Differences between LT98 are mesh instead of nylon covering on elbow and suspender straps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big time Brown fanboy...for c/a at least.  Everything else is way outdated in my opinion.  I will 100% agree that these c/a are not 100% perfect.  Far from it.  Its a simple design and the protection is among the best out there but there are things I would change that I feel could be improved.  Mostly the design of the arm floaters.  With that said, I've never worn one with an attached neck guard so if there is indeed a gap in padding in that area then I wouldn't be able to comment on that.  That part I apologize for jumping to conclusions about in my first post.  I have worn a Maltese neck pad for quite a while and have never had problems in my neck/clavicle area.  

• 3 months later...

@Beezer201 how has your recovery and return to the ice been?

I broke my collarbone a month ago today from a straight shot. I was wearing a dangler but no collar or padded shirt. Puck deflected off my dangler into my collarbone and snapped it (not quite as bad as yours).

60548632_443392716487739_751761221603662

I was not wearing a Brown but a similar smaller brand companies' chest-protector. I really do not blame the injury on the chest protector. I was playing with some NCAA guys who can fire away and it was a pretty point blank shot. I have already bought a Vaughn Neck Collar and am in the process of purchasing a 'custom' Zoombang shirt.

The first 7-10 days was awful pain and comfort wise. Im at a month now and feels much better. Doctor said 3 months from the injury I can play again, Id rather it be fully healed than rush anything. Hope youre back to stopping pucks Beezer201!

14 minutes ago, AG37 said:

@Beezer201 how has your recovery and return to the ice been?

I broke my collarbone a month ago today from a straight shot. I was wearing a dangler but no collar or padded shirt. Puck deflected off my dangler into my collarbone and snapped it (not quite as bad as yours).

60548632_443392716487739_751761221603662

I was not wearing a Brown but a similar smaller brand companies' chest-protector. I really do not blame the injury on the chest protector. I was playing with some NCAA guys who can fire away and it was a pretty point blank shot. I have already bought a Vaughn Neck Collar and am in the process of purchasing a 'custom' Zoombang shirt.

The first 7-10 days was awful pain and comfort wise. Im at a month now and feels much better. Doctor said 3 months from the injury I can play again, Id rather it be fully healed than rush anything. Hope youre back to stopping pucks Beezer201!

Beezer hasn't visited the site since shortly after making this thread. I don't think he's going to respond.

1 minute ago, AG37 said:

@coopaloop1234 good call! Oh, well.. Doc says healing looks good, it is aligned correctly and unionizing. Just curious to hear about other guys recoveries and returning to the game, this will be my longest stint without playing hockey since I was a child.

Yea, pretty sure he just signed up to slag on Brown and left when he realized that many users didn't share the same sentiment. :rofl:

I know @stackem30 went through a collarbone injury almost a year ago. It was biking related, but still a good separation. He'd be a good guy to talk to.

I had a Grade 3 AC separation, which is when both ligaments that connect the clavicle (collar bone) to the scapula (shoulder bone) are completely torn (picture below).

I did physical therapy for 3 months, and completed a daily regimen of exercises and stretches to stabilize/mobilize my shoulder. The doctors I saw are big in sports medicine in the Boston area, and it was cool that they were fairly knowledgeable/interested about what kind of challenges I'd have in net. I separated the shoulder at the end of August, and I was skating by mid-November... pretty amazing, considering how painful the injury was. Apparently, it takes the better part of a year for you to get a real sense of how recovered you'll be. So far, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at — the body's ability to heal from a trauma can be pretty impressive to witness.

I eased back into hockey after climbing some other hills: first it was just PT exercises, then I started doing some yoga again, throwing a ball against the wall, etc. Eventually, my doctors told me to play for 5-10 minutes, to see how it felt. Then 15-20 minutes, then a half an hour, etc. I think I only test-skated it twice, to be honest — my team was about to start the season, and I felt confident in where it was at. It still feels a little sketchy at times, but usually any soreness I feel can be attributed to muscle tension, and not some structural issue. Stretching is more important now, the shoulder's about as stable as it can be at this point. But I do have to be careful about any hard contact with that shoulder — less in terms of shots, more in terms of hard falls, getting run into, etc. I do find that I instinctually hesitate before I do some crazy move or dive ... but I can still play how I want to, mostly. I just can't throw myself around with truly reckless abandon. I haven't noticed any real issues with my high blocker side.

Good luck with your recovery.

grade3_acrosep.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for bringing this back to the top of the heap...

Maybe it's time to change the inflammatory and inaccurate thread title?  And no, I'm not a Brown fanboy, but I just hate to see nonsense click-bait headlines draw more attention than the content is worth...

A day late and a dollar short on this reply, but the main thing that kept circling in my head was the issue with the "neck guard." Someone else mentioned that maybe it was only to protect the throat, or mostly to protect it, something like that. I wouldn't say the collarbone is part of the neck, am I wrong here? Shouldn't the chest protector cover that area better in general? I think mine does, at least not to the point of me worrying about it (until now maybe).

When I first started playing in the late 90s early 00s (high school), I used public school issued equipment. I don't remember the brand of C/A it was, but it was old, and flimsy for sure, probably didn't fit right (no one was paying attention to that). I took a shot off my collarbone then, and while I didn't get any x-rays, I'm pretty sure some permanent damage occurred. When I flex that area now, my left one looks like it has a walnut in the middle of it, while my right one looks perfectly straight.

I agree with @Puckstopper though, maybe this thread could be called something like "Chest Protectors and Collarbone Injuries"

Late to the party but I'm still rocking my JB 553 that I had custom sized back in 96/97. Aside from minor mods done recently by Glenn Miller I can count on two fingers that I felt a shot and was bruised by it. The bruising occurred on an area where I removed all padding from the unit and the puck had "eyes". The other was a shot I felt on my belly that caught in between the chest blocks. Freak occurrence that has not happen again.

I am a JB fan boy for only his chest protectors and pants. Everything else I'm not.

I wont apologize for this guy's "injury", if it even did happen because nowadays its very easy to screen shot images and pass them off as your own. This guy loss his cred, IMO, when he started to use terms like fan boys and got a hissy fit about the bone density check up. He lost cred when he joined the group on Jan 06 the day he created this thread and was never to be seen or heard of again since Jan 14. Perhaps a Vaughn troll, which im a fan boy of leg pads, glove and blocker but definitely not of their modern CA.   

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Broken Collarbone
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

It’s been some time since I’ve posted and I’d like to come back and assess/ update my initial post. It’s been almost two years since I’ve broken my collarbone wearing a Brown. After much deliberation as well as assessment, experimentation...I’ve came to a conclusion. A custom Brown chest protector is the best option money can buy in terms of protection. Yes I’ve said it, even with breaking my collarbone while wearing one initially. Now let me explain.

The most important thing you can do as a goaltender is to update your equipment especially if you lose or gain weight. Whether it’s knee blocks on your pads, a cup, helmet, chest protector especially. When I played college hockey, I was at around 205 pounds. When I broke my collarbone wearing the same Chest protector, I was 185 pounds and it were 11 years later. Point is, The thing pretty much hung onto me and all the Velcro straps were useless which in turn, prevented that custom tight fit. The chest protector never gave me any issues my senior year but honestly, I only used it for a little bit and then put it away for many years only to pick it up later in life. I admit, I came on here blazing hot and wanted to shit on a company because I was mad and irritated and painkiller induced. I couldn’t sleep, let alone go to the bathroom with the combination of breathing pain as well as Valium, Percs and Oxy’s in my system. I was heated. Point is, since recovering... it’s time I point out my personal truths of discovery and do right by the company ran by John Brown. In the last almost 2 years I’ve tried every single high end retail and custom fitting chest protector available. Everything from Vaughn, Bauer, Warrior, CCM, Brian’s, Kennesky and Passau. I spent a lot of money buying and then reselling but my protection was worth more. While some were mobile and lightweight comfortable units, I still felt tons of stingers all over my arms and sometimes even shoulders. My sternum also took a beating specifically wearing CCM and Bauer. My torso was consistently covered in black and blues.  I would also like to add that, for the first time in my playing career, I added a neck/collar combo underneath all of my chesties. My two favs that I rotate are Kova and PAW. Both units are durable and have taken rockets with none to little pain, especially off my recovered collar. 

I decided to give Brown one more try. Ended up going with a very beefed up (Russian Spec) 2400. Been using it for the last 7 months and I have to say...the thing is an absolute tank. I’ve taken bombs off this thing. Former pro guys, current pro guys, especially during the Covid lockdowns, I was fortunate enough to skate with a couple of NHL guys in practices and never felt a stinger or had a black and blue. It definitely took me some time to break it in and the weight (roughly 9 pounds) is enough to scare one away but, protection is everything. I naturally sweat tons during games or practices so I don’t feel the common “hot” theme most do. My only suggestion is to avoid the neck guard attachment and use either a Kova goalie or PAW hockey one underneath. 

Anyway, hope my post helps anyone looking for a new chest protector. I went from hating on the thing to absolutely loving it. Plus John Brown is a gentleman and worked with me to get the perfect fit! What more can you ask for from a company? Support traditional companies and now it’s safe to say, I’ve officially came to be a Brown fan boy myself. 

Stay safe everyone. 

On 1/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, Beezer201 said:

Hello All,

I was recommended to tell my story via the goalnet Instagram account. Back in October, I was using a Brown JB 2000 chest protector. It was a regular morning (medium talent level) private hockey skate. I was playing in net and went down early to stop a shot coming in behind a defensive screen off the wing. Next thing I knew, I felt a puck hit my collarbone and I heard a loud crack. The shot was a regular wrister, it wasn’t a hard shot, (it’s all on GoPro cam footage) but it hit me in the area right above the chest plate and below the attached Brown neckguard. After my right arm going completely numb, I knew something was wrong. Later in the day, I went to a medical facility and had an X-Ray taken, which I’ve attached below. Point is, the chest protector failed me and left me with a full double collar bone break.  I can only imagine what could have happened if it were a harder shot. I contacted Brown to notify them of their deficient product, they’ve yet to even come to a reasonable resolution. Point is, when you pay top end dollar for a supposed “top end product,” you expect actual protection, especially playing in net. Due to this injury, I’ve literally just laid around the house for over three months now. I’ve lost money opportunities as I can’t work, amongst other deficiencies that I won’t get into detail on a public forum. Point is, having a broken collar bone sucks. At one point it just hurt to breathe, let alone sleep, sit, go to the bathroom etc. 

So from one former Brown equipment user to a future potential buyer..stay away!!!! There are other better products on the market with better protection! I would never shit on a company, especially one that’s small owned but for them to not even acknowledge my story and situation which pertains to their own product, I have no other choice but to make their potential buyers aware of what their products may lead too. PAIN AND SUFFERING!

Enjoy your New Year folks! And stay safe out there!

- Beezer 

9E8A5B06-3104-4139-A848-987AE559C898.jpeg

3A2219C7-9496-49D0-9C17-0B2B4F8554F2.jpeg

C0E6B538-BA13-46A2-9BB3-CF54D3742ABE.jpeg

BD4181D2-F5E2-4F90-A1DD-897CEBB0BD16.jpeg

Just saw this post, and without reading the rest I'm sure you're getting roasted. You bought the cheapest chesty they have, and I'm guessing the puck simply missed a piece of padding.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, Beezer201 said:

Its a large, was fitted to my body during time of purchase. 

I’m 6’1, 188 lbs at time of injury. Weight and height hasn’t fluctuated since purchase. 

I wear it pretty snug. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, Beezer201 said:

When I played college hockey, I was at around 205 pounds. When I broke my collarbone wearing the same Chest protector, I was 185 pounds and it were 11 years later. Point is, The thing pretty much hung onto me and all the Velcro straps were useless which in turn, prevented that custom tight fit.

These two statements, 21 months apart, are not the same.

Archived