Sign in to follow this  
Beezer201

Broken Collarbone thanks to Brown.

3 minutes ago, Beezer201 said:

My bone density is fine bud, the level of Brown fan boys on here is unreal. Guys will walk around with pulmonary embolisms thanks to their Brown chesties and they’ll blame themselves for getting black and blues easily. “It’s just a blood clot, no biggie, hockey is a dangerous sport!” Smh

I respect that Brown has been around forever and built up a loyal following. However, I do understand your opinion there. On GSBB and now on here, there seems to be some opinions boardering on group think that Brown's are perfect.

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I respect that Brown has been around forever and built up a loyal following. However, I do understand your opinion there. On GSBB and now on here, there seems to be some opinions boardering on group think that Brown's are perfect.

I don't think they're perfect, far from it.  But anyone who thinks that a stock Vaughn will be more protective has been hit on the head a few too many times.  Now the Passau Pro Pack, that's as near to perfect as you can get.  ;)

I think we need to walk this whole debate back a bit. The OP is understandably upset because of a serious injury that has real life consequences. He didn’t do anything wrong to get this injury.

He has some accurate observations on the John Brown Hockey company. Such as, they were behind the curve in terms of innovation (They innovated early on with mask making and chest and arm design), they aren’t heavily represented professionally (Except for a niche in the KHL) especially in the NHL and their neck protector didn’t protect him.

However, the Injury occurred because of a design flaw in the integrated neck guard. Said neck guard is merely a thick soft foam ring that is attached only by unpadded material (vinyl?). Brown seems to be the only manufacturer that includes an integrated neck guard as an option on their units. Perhaps the other manufacturers realized that the only effective way to protect the collarbone and neck/throat area was to have a separate unit. Brown also has a separate neck guard as an accessory. Maybe they should inform the consumer that the integrated neck guard is not as protective as the separate neck guard. Or they can discontinue altogether the integrated neck guard and sell the separate neck guard only. 

Furthermore, the actual Brown chest and arm unit is quite robust and is often cited as the most protective in the industry albeit the heaviest and hottest to wear. In other words, had this shot, or any shot for that matter, actually hit the chest and arm unit itself there wouldn’t have been an injury. Likely there wouldn’t have been any pain whatsoever. 

I’m pretty sure that covers the whole discussion.

Phew. I need to catch my breath. 

2 hours ago, Beezer201 said:

My bone density is fine bud, the level of Brown fan boys on here is unreal. Guys will walk around with pulmonary embolisms thanks to their Brown chesties and they’ll blame themselves for getting black and blues easily. “It’s just a blood clot, no biggie, hockey is a dangerous sport!” Smh

No need to be touchy, bud — the guy said, "with all due respect and absolutely no sarcasm" and made a suggestion about your health to try and help you out.

I'm sorry you broke your collarbone, really — I separated my shoulder very badly a few months back, and I understand that's a rough headspace to be in. You made your thread, and you've expressed your opinions more than a few times. People can agree with you, or not agree with you. It's not up to you to change their minds and decide what gear they should or shouldn't wear.

Now you're putting contrived, hyperbolic words in people's mouths, making weak-ass jokes about pulmonary embolisms, and calling them Brown fanboys ... because they don't share your opinion? Grow up.

Edited by stackem30
  • Like 3

@Beezer201 For the record, I am not a "Brown fanboy" - I have never owned a piece of Brown gear and currently am in a Bauer Elite (senior) CA - which is about as protective as a winter jacket. All I know about Brown is what I have heard on these forums which has been mostly positive - I would probably consider one if/when I ever upgrade.

My question about bone density was only a suggestion as again, you said (not me) the shot wasn't that hard. Your response to this seemed a bit defensive so to that end I will say don't worry, I wasn't questioning your masculinity. My only response would be, however,  how do you know?  Have you had it checked?

Feel free to go your own way, hopefully you will find what you are looking for, but personally, I don't have time to filter through your anger-filled diatribes to see if there is really any meat to it.

Edited by Colander
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't think they're perfect, far from it.  But anyone who thinks that a stock Vaughn will be more protective has been hit on the head a few too many times.  Now the Passau Pro Pack, that's as near to perfect as you can get.  ;)

Not an advocate of a stock Vaughn either, haha

Just always like to encourage people to cosnider multiple options 

There is a stock Vaughn that doesn’t require any extra padding, the Ventus LT98. I’ve been using a grey and orange one for like 3 years and haven’t had any issue, even with the arms. Just a thought. Design hasn’t changed much to the present. Looks like the Ventus SLR carbon is what it’s called now. Differences between LT98 are mesh instead of nylon covering on elbow and suspender straps. 

Edited by Taco