Help with new CA for my son!

Big2

So here we go again - just got home from a tournament with my son and on the drive there he told me he’s starting to feel some of the harder shots. Currently in his second  Brian’s GNetik Pro prior to last generation, which has been a very good unit. 

Over the last 3 days we where lucky enough to be staying close to a Pure Hockey store so we went there to take a look at what is out there today, Vaughn we looked at both the Ventus and Velocity and we found that both of these units where too short in the belly region!

unfortunately my son did not want to try the Brian’s Optik - howerver as he’s not in the NHL I do not want a unit that was designed with the new specs and for whatever reason he seems to have migrated away from Brian’s??

We finally took a look at the 2 CCM units the Premier Pro and the  CCM Shield ( I believe, it was all white ) he liked them both but more the CCM Premier. At this rate he will be in all CCM except for his jock and skates.

Comments on the CCM Premier pro would be appreciated !!

protection?

size vs competion ?

Mobility ?

weight ?

13 minutes ago, Big2 said:

So here we go again - just got home from a tournament with my son and on the drive there he told me he’s starting to feel some of the harder shots. Currently in his second  Brian’s GNetik Pro prior to last generation, which has been a very good unit. 

Over the last 3 days we where lucky enough to be staying close to a Pure Hockey store so we went there to take a look at what is out there , today, Vaughn we looked at both the Ventus and Velocity and we found that both of these units where too short in the belly region!

unfortunately my son did not want to try the Brian’s Optik - howerver as he’s not in the NHL I do not want a unit that was designed with the new specs and for whatever reason he seems to have migrated away from Brian’s??

We finally took a look at the 2 CCM units the Premier Pro and the  

I would take a look at the optik. I’ve used a warrior old chest protector for so long and I switched to optik. The arms are beefy but very very mobile. Stomach is very protected. One of the most mobile units on the market right now. A lot of protection. Also the new regulation is just making the shoulder floaters less bulky. In my opinion it makes the smallest difference ever, and it gives you more head movement. I would try it out somewhere if you can

Vaughn definitely has a smaller body fit. Does he tuck? You should always try on a c/a with pants.

I've never been a huge fan of the Premier c/a. While you get a ton of coverage, I can only imagine the mobility is hugely sacrificed. 

Think of how popular Vaughn units were before the great streamlining apocalypse. Most goalies used the smaller, segmented floaters because it's so much easier to move. 

The more I see the EF Shield 2, the more it grows on me. It has the smaller, segmented floaters, the sternum has to be super protective with the D30 and it's super comfortable to wear. I've always been partial to my beef up Velocities, though. 

10 hours ago, cwarnar said:

What about Passau?  They do have stock units and offer solid protection with mobility.

I use a Warrior GT pro... I'd highly recommend them as well.

Cwarnar I will stop by to see the Passau if they have a Pro pack available to see!

I will also have my son take a look at the Bauer and Warrior Units as well 

17 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Cwarnar I will stop by to see the Passau if they have a Pro pack available to see!

I will also have my son take a look at the Bauer and Warrior Units as well 

Another option would be a padded shirt?  I still feel shots in my Warrior GT pro but never have a bruise... I think feeling shots is always going to happen but when bruising starts popping up its time for a change.

Where specifically is he feeling them? 

I have the ccm premier pro chesty without the d30 in the arms. It’s very protective, alghigh maybe not as much in the belly area. I tuck mine in and I have triple protection there from a little of my cup, my chest protector, and pants. I’m not sure if that protection would change if he didn’t tuck his into his pants. I came a warrior chest protector and the premier was definitely heavier but I definitely accustomed to it over time. Definitely had less than my warrior and took a while to get to used to like the weight.  Definitely try on the chesty with the pants though when buying the chest protector. 

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Which do you like more

They're both good units and I can recommend either, it just depends which you want.

Optik feels a little beefier with some of the padding designs and the cut fits more snugly in the shoulders. You also look more streamlined in it. That's nice for head tracking.

The CCM is very mobile and is a nice balance between bulk and mobility. It feels looser in shoulders.

I have a stock optik chest protector and I am having an issue where the shoulder floater strap coming undone in the middle of a game/practice. So what I did was I took some tape and wrapped it around both the straps because I don’t really want to play with where the straps go more than once. Does anyone know a more permanent way to fix this?

2 hours ago, Generals31 said:

I have a stock optik chest protector and I am having an issue where the shoulder floater strap coming undone in the middle of a game/practice. So what I did was I took some tape and wrapped it around both the straps because I don’t really want to play with where the straps go more than once. Does anyone know a more permanent way to fix this?

Had this issue taking it on and off. You could poke a hole thru the Velcro and the floater and tie a skate lace through the hole

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, cwarnar said:

Another option would be a padded shirt?  I still feel shots in my Warrior GT pro but never have a bruise... I think feeling shots is always going to happen but when bruising starts popping up its time for a change.

Where specifically is he feeling them? 

cwarnar - my son does where a padded CCM shirt.  He does like feeling the shots but I believe he said some are starting to hurt/no bruising and he commented on the belly are the area where its getting sensitive.

The Warrior Pro C&As (with the robot arms) are pretty awesome. They look quite bulky but it is the most mobile C&A I've ever been in once it's broken it. They're also really comfortable. Some have complained about the "robot arms" falling apart but I've had no issues so far. With this C&A a proper neck/collar bone guard is a must due to the large neck opening. Depending on your son's league this may or may not be important but the Warrior has some pretty good protection on the back and sides. 

Robot Arms:

Image result for warrior g4 pro chest protectorImage result for warrior g4 pro chest protector

Meaty.

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

cwarnar - my son does where a padded CCM shirt.  He does like feeling the shots but I believe he said some are starting to hurt/no bruising and he commented on the belly are the area where its getting sensitive.

One option may be adding a belly pad to his existing chest unit. I had Dennis @factory mad cut one in my old Vaughn V6 2200

19 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Guys thought I would throw this out there - what about the Brian’s GNetik CA does this model still exist ?

You can find them out there... I know they aren't the most well liked in the Brian's line.

This is a good video from Mike Bruins.. he knows his stuff 

38 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

You can find them out there... I know they aren't the most well liked in the Brian's line.

This is a good video from Mike Bruins.. he knows his stuff 

I’m sure Brians would make one of you could order an Optik with SZ or GNETIK floaters. Optik with SZ arms, etc 

Archived