SLR style forearm pads

seagoal

I was inspired by a recent post on @TheGoalNet Instagram about SLR forearm pads and I'm thinking I want to add some to my V7 pro C&A.

It seems like this should be a fairly easy mod with a combo of lacing and using the preexisting elastic strap on the forearm of the unit.

I have some old thigh boards I've never used for slicing up. I'm thinking I could easily modify the smaller egg shaped pads to fit on the forearm. 

Does anyone use the SLR unit with this pad that they could measure for me?

Any advice on how to do this mod?

20190108_083229.jpg

20190108_083151.jpg

20190108_082832.jpg

20190108_082849.jpg

20190108_082855.jpg

Dude, thank you.  You win today. 

Very helpful and generous. 

4 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Dims are in inches. its a rough estimate on the size due to the rounded edges and corners. I for got some dims, but I think you got the idea. Sorry.

vaughn.thumb.JPG.18c24d53c55a98c4642ea4dcc5e0ec50.JPG

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Dude, thank you.  You win today. 

Very helpful and generous. 

NP! This community helped me out with mods before too. BTW, I gave a geometric shape for it to be an additional piece (I measured the foam insert) , the actual guard is sewn into the arm. I'll add a picture of what I meant soon.

1 minute ago, itis121 said:

NP! This community helped me out with mods before too. BTW, I gave a geometric shape for it to be an additional piece (I measured the foam insert) , the actual guard is sewn into the arm. I'll add a picture of what I meant soon.

Is this pad on like a slider on the forearm elastic strap, making it removable on the SLR unit? <---- I'm thinking this is going to be one of my attachment mechanisms.

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Is this pad on like a slider on the forearm elastic strap, making it removable on the SLR unit? <---- I'm thinking this is going to be one of my attachment mechanisms.

No one side is sewn in and the other is on an elastic

20190109_192350.thumb.jpg.651c53f493429c7cdf8f285227195d67.jpg

I did this exact same mod a couple of years ago with my Passau. I was getting absolutely killed in that area due to my glove positioning. I used an old part from a McKenney CA that was rectangular shaped and was a mix of HD and LD foam. Laced in two ends to the two closest eyelets where the elbow cup attaches to. Then I had the elastic go over the other end to help keep it in place. Worked like a charm.

If you're doing it that way, you could sew a small tab that would keep the arm elastic in place

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I finally got around to modding my arm pads with an underneath forearm SLR style pad.

All I did was cut off and lightly modify the shape of the smaller pad on Vaughn thigh boards.  

I used the existing lace holes to simply lace them into the arms with the existing lacing on the arms and then sliced a small slit into the thigh pads to route the nylon straps through.   

This resulted in one issue: I opened the nylon skin of the pad to make it smaller and cut to the size I needed which meant the inner foam could then just slide out.  

To solve this problem without sewing access/ability, I simply made small holes and ran skate lace pieces through and tied it off to prevent the foam from coming out of the nylon skin.  So far so good and it is as of now quite comfortable and covers the area I wanted to protect on my forearm.

I'll remove it for my playoff game Monday and try it out for the first time at pickup on Tuesday.

20190406_181015.jpg

20190406_175852.jpg

20190406_175900.jpg

20190406_175909.jpg

20190406_175932.jpg

20190406_175958.jpg

20190406_180025.jpg

20190406_180037.jpg

20190406_180145.jpg

20190406_183109.jpg

20190406_183155.jpg

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Neat mod. 

I can't say I see an immediate benefit as I don't think in 9 years I have ever gotten got there, but, I see the potential benefit. 

Do you find that this will help? As in have you ever found that you've gotten hit there? 

Thanks Coop.

I can only remember getting hit there 3 times, twice on the glove side and once on the blocker.  One of the glove side ones was really bad, as in I couldn't even open my car door or lift a coffee cup and had to miss a game because I couldn't close my glove. Massive bruise and an actual dent in my arm.

So not often,  but enough times to think that if i could prevent it in the future, why not?  Plus I had this unused thigh wrap laying around just begging to be sliced up and utilized somehow.

I'm pleased with how it conforms to the shape of the arm unit rather than protruding out.  The way I rigged it is more internal than external if that makes sense.

WOW this could not have come up at a better time - my sons has gotten dinged twice since he got his TGN Spec CCM Pro twice in that region.

Going to SRS (authorized Bauer repair shop) on Monday to get a similar fix - will provide details when done.

6 minutes ago, Big2 said:

WOW this could not have come up at a better time - my sons has gotten dinged twice since he got his TGN Spec CCM Pro twice in that region.

Going to SRS (authorized Bauer repair shop) on Monday to get a similar fix - will provide details when done.

Nice, well hopefully you find a good solution for your son.

It's a tricky area that is probably most vulnerable on deflections or one-timers down low, which is how I got badly bruised/dented in that area.

Please post updates when you can!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 8:43 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Neat mod. 

I can't say I see an immediate benefit as I don't think in 9 years I have ever gotten got there, but, I see the potential benefit. 

Do you find that this will help? As in have you ever found that you've gotten hit there? 

Can’t speak for the board members, but I think you see this option springing up at pro because of RVH. When you lock the post and wait for pucks, vs reacting to make a glove save, pucks can hit weird places 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Can’t speak for the board members, but I think you see this option springing up at pro because of RVH. When you lock the post and wait for pucks, vs reacting to make a glove save, pucks can hit weird places 

To add on- When I switched to a 90 degree Passau glove I found I had to alter my glove positioning to one that was a mix between Fleury and Varlamov. This left my left underarm very exposed, and I definitely had some stingers. 

Weirdly I never got hit weirdly in the RVH. To be fair the pucks usually went through me rather than hitting me

Archived