What car do you use to haul your gear to games?

1C5

It's a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible (long name, I know). It has a 455 cubic inch V8 that makes a whopping 250hp in a car that weighs over 2 tons and is 19 feet in length. This thing is huge but still not as big as they come.

None of the other stuff in the garage is mine except for the tiny trucks and the hockey gear. All of the boxes in the car are empty, we just need to break them down and throw them out, We'll probably do that over spring break. It'll look much nicer once all that's gone.

And yes, we do have the rest of the car, we just need to repaint it and put it back on. Maybe get the interior reupholstered too.

Once this is ready for the road I will achieve high school god status by owning a classic, V8, convertible. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

What you think you'll look like:

screen-shot-2015-04-02-at-9-13-28-am.png.8e7eb557db5b93456a396dd7e46f1535.png

What you'll actually look like:

high_school_car.jpg.058871175db319ecf2c550e5982435bb.jpg

You may be wrong but you may be right. Either way I'll like and that's all that matters. I always thought F&F corvette was kinda ugly anyways.

This is also Texas which means it doesn't matter how practical your car is, it just has to be big, sound good, and look good. My car meets all of those requirements.

Edited by ThatCarGuy

2008 4Runner. Fitting my bag was a necessity in every car I bought, but sacrifices have been made along the way when funds were a concern. A couple of standouts though: '03 Pontiac Vibe, '98 Cherokee. Another reason I liked the 4Runner, closest thing to an open-air SUV (moonroof, all four doors, and rear hatch window all open) without having to store the pieces (like a Wrangler).

• Like 1

‘10 Ford Fusion Sport AWD. They weren’t using the Eco-Boost motor in the Fusions yet (I think that changed in ‘11 or ‘12), so the fuel economy sucks, but it’s both fun to drive and can deal with snowy roads well enough for me to get to and from work when it’s blizzarding outside.

Currently own the first 2 cars and they share goalie gear carrying duties.  All of my previous vehicles share a common theme.  I've never had to worry about snow :)

Main Family car 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R - Pros: power tail gate, heated steering wheel and H6 power

IMG_0729.thumb.JPG.184f0f5497ae95ad2e5ad17b4a0909cc.JPG

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i - Mainly driven for hockey as my work issued truck is too dirty for hockey gear to go in.  Pros: Sedan like handling, excellent hydraulic steering feel compared to new electric steering, only 130,000km 

IMG_0730.JPG.815cb1ba7b910fb9474790d8d808ecd4.JPG

The fastest and funnest way to get to the rink used to be my 1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon L with full STi drivetrain swap and a ton of other work.  Saw dedicated track car duties for many years.  Car lost it's battle with rust and was parted and scrapped few years ago.  Pros: Ripping 1-2 gears was enough to take any worries away, best used for Summer hockey with windows down drive home.

IMG_7832.thumb.PNG.b5bd9f52721339a5e161c93d77d59213.PNG

Previously before the Outback I had this 2008 Exploder, worst purchase of life but I needed a vehicle capable of towing above car to/from track and did not want my gear in a truck bed.  We traded in this 1998 Legacy Outback Limited which was really a great car aside from head-gasket issues common with those years. 

IMG_0731.JPG.7923eeac022798f8fa94b731ff21b89c.JPG 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Almost Hip said:

...I had this 2008 Exploder, worst purchase of life but...

Love the term "exploder".

Reminds me of these fun days:

Jackson-4-willis-case.jpg

k-ford-explorer-2002.jpg

roof_crush1.jpg

Exploding tires and defective roofs on the Explorer was a GREAT combo...

• Haha 1

@MTH  Was that from the famous Firestone tires?   Mine, the running boards fell off while driving (only 80,000km on it), Sync did not work and caused a glitch with turn signals until I changed Stereo head unit, too many other issues to list but enough to not want to buy "Big 3" ever again

Yeah, sadly the Firestone tire mess. Nearly 300 people were killed. Terrible.

Ford had such a head start on the SUV market that they made some sloppy Explorers that sold as fast as they could make them. 

Now, with all the car makers all caught up (and ahead); I think the Explorer is a way better vehicle than versions past.

The Firestone Wilderness in specific size and plant were the issue. You had to look at the code that was stamped on them. I know the tires were on a ton of the 2 door versions. The added plus was that the roof was nowhere as strong in rollovers as it should have been. So when the tire went, and the SUV rolled, the roof just caved in and made it that much worse.

The rusting sideboards were a common issue. I don't know if Ford ever addressed that in a recall or TSB. But they would hold so much salt and moisture against the body that the steps would rot right off. So many issues. I feel your hesitation on the big 3 too. I can attest after owning 2 four door Wranglers that they don't have any real issues. Why I bought another one after driving my first one nearly 175k miles. I plan on picking up the Wrangler pickup next in a year or two and giving my current four door Wrangler to my now 12 year old son.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@motowngoalie Love Saab... So hard to find... But that is spectacular.  My lease is up on my Explorer next summer... I'm leaning towards a Volvo V60 R Design or a Kia Stinger.  

But you cn't go wrong with a car company that builds jets!

No kidding! It took me about 3 months to find one with the newer body style (2008 on) and the turbo V6. Volvo's wagons are beautiful, one of the few remaining wagon options it seems..

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 7:24 AM, motowngoalie said:

No kidding! It took me about 3 months to find one with the newer body style (2008 on) and the turbo V6. Volvo's wagons are beautiful, one of the few remaining wagon options it seems..

The 2020 Saabs are sweet.

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2019 at 6:24 AM, motowngoalie said:

Wagons are amazing and I really hope they can take back the market from pickup trucks, crossovers and SUV's here in the states.