Ever Wanted to Actually Fight a Goalie?

stackem30

This is maybe the last thread-topic I would have imagined myself starting — I am a pretty easy-going guy, and I think fights in mens league are usually stupid and unnecessary. And goalie fights — even at the professional level — feel especially contrived, fun as they may be. But I just remembered a game that I wanted to post about this past summer.

Long story short, it was the first time I ever fantasized about skating down the ice and punching the opposing goalie in the face. I'm about to get mad even writing this.

Right from warmups, the opposing goalie seemed like a bit of a character. GGSU stick, GGSU jersey, fresh new Bauer gear, expensive composite stick, and impeccably painted mask. Not my style, but who cares? I'm happy in my pillow-pads, he's happy in his stuff. As I'm stretching, one of his teammates skates over and says to me, "Dude, old-school pads!" (A rare instance of a player even noticing goalie gear, amazing). I say thanks man, have a good game. He turns around to his goalie, who I then hear say, "Those things are amateur shit... Embarrassing." Alright, now I'm like fuck this guy. But he's already headed to his net, and I'm not about to skate into another teams' zone during warmups to get mad at swag-boy who doesn't like my gear. Time to play hockey.

So my team was (as usual), super short on players... I think we had maybe two or three subs. We're a good group of players, but very few played any college hockey, at least not for any notable schools. The other team had 2+ lines, and they had a few guys whose pants and helmets suggested they'd played for some pret-ty amazing schools in the area (Harvard and BU, or maybe Northeastern... I forget). Anyway, these guys are giving us a pretty good thrashing. All good! They were a better team, they had a few guys who could really play, and we were outnumbered. It was one of those games where I "played great", and I think we lost 9-1. I know we only scored 1 goal... more on that later.

We're not getting many shots on this kid at all. He probably had to make a dozen saves, none of them particularly challenging. For most of the game, all the action's down by me, or in the neutral zone. At one point in the first half (we play two 25-minute, running-clock halves) when the puck was in our zone, I glance over and see that the other goalie has his mask up, leaning on his stick like Ken Dryden. I'd never seen anyone do that during play before, but I disliked it instantly. At the very least, it seemed like some seriously embarrassing poseur stuff. But mostly, it felt disrespectful to my teammates (and I hate how much the term respect/disrespect is thrown around in hockey). It was like he was bored, disinterested, positive we'd not generate any offense, and he wanted everyone to know how bored he was.

He was also really into puckhandling (admittedly, he had a good long game). I wouldn't usually begrudge a goalie for trying to handle the puck a bit more when their team is routing the other team — good time to practice that stuff — but this was next-level. He wouldn't even play the puck to a defenseman if they were near him and totally open. Each time he'd look down the ice, and attempt to saucer the puck wayyy over everyone's head to whatever player was furthest down the ice (that player was never open...). I mean, this kid wanted a Sports-Centre goalie assist and nothing less, and he was going for it whether it made sense or not. I even noticed his teammates looking annoyed. During one play, he gloved a lobbed dump-in, and the ref blew the whistle while the he was dropping the puck down for another long pass. He made a huge deal of it, shrugging his arms and complaining to the ref that he wanted to play it. 

I'd also like to mention that this kid whacked and pushed every teammate of mine that came even close to his net. His defensemen were always right next to him when this happened, and the one time one of my teammates turned around to look at the goalie after a healthy chop, his defensemen were all over it. Again, I have no problem with a goalie being aggressive or feisty, but I think one should only do it if they're prepared to answer for it themselves — not because they know their defense will protect them. Mostly, it just seemed obnoxious for a game where he hardly saw any action, and his team was beating us badly.

I could not have been happier when one of our players slipped one by him with less than 2 minutes left. At this point, his reaction was predictable: slammed his stick over the crossbar, and started jawing to the ref about something. Sucks to lose a shutout at the very end, but give me a break. The game ended in our zone, with me smothering a shot in my gut in the dying seconds. One of the really good guys on the other team tapped my pads and said "good game", and I said "Your goalie seemed upset at the end, there". He rolled his eyes and said, "He said I screened him." 

In the handshake line, I kinda slap-shook his hand (almost like an aggressive high-five), gave it a good squeeze, and said, "Keep your fucking mask down next time." He gave me a pretty blank look, I don't know if he knew what I was even talking about. It's not really something I felt good about (wished I could have just let it go, knowing that this kid was a jerkoff who would never find love, make friends, or achieve true happiness in life), but I just couldn't help myself at that point... I was pretty heated, and it had nothing to do with the loss (as long as I play well and don't cost us the game, I truly don't mind losing). The cherry on top was hearing him explain, "What a bunch of fucking bendersss" to his teammates while they were leaving the ice. 

Now I've seen similar threads here where people talk about things other goalies do that bother them... hot-dog saves, celebrate their teammate's goals, etc. That stuff annoys me too, but not too much — I'd certainly never consider fighting someone over it. But somehow, this kid was so obnoxious in so many ways that I really did start thinking about the possibility... something I never thought would enter my mind at age 30. Fortunately or unfortunately, he wasn't in goal the other time we played them. Maybe his teammates hated him too...

What do you guys think? Was I overreacting? Should I not have said something in the handshake line? Should I have done something more? Is this fight-worthy stuff? Has anyone here ever fought another goalie (for any reason other than a bench-clearing brawl / they fought your teammate)? What would it take for you to do so? Are goalies with lots of GGSU swag really that lame?? Discuss.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. A few different goalies but one of them is a bit of a long story. 

Anyway, this was in a tournament, I don’t know a lot as I got most of the info form my teammates. I think we beat the team 7-1 or something, the team was getting chippy, not really aiming to score but to try and “take their frustration” out on my teammates. The goalie on the other end would raise his hands up and yell at the refs when they got a few icing calls ‘wrong’, I’m not sure most of what he was saying but he was jawing at my teammates for whatever reason (they were screening him maybe?), what’s funny is he tapped my pads as we skated past each other but oh boy. I don’t know what instigated this but the goalie yelled out at my teammate “suck my dick number 9!” and some other stuff I don’t remember. It was also funny cause when his team finally scored on me they were talking shit on the bench about me saying stuff like “this goalie isn’t even good” and “she’s so easy to score on” as I skated past then I yelled out “look at the f*cking scoreboard”

On top of that, every time we scored on the goalie, he would saucer it down all the way to my end. 

I can't say I've ever wanted to fight another. All the goalies in my league are pretty laid back. The players are the one I really want to fight. This one kid kept clipping me back and forth throughout the game. After one of the goals his team scored against me he took the puck out of the net, chipped it into my back, and then crosschecked me from behind (I know it sounds exaggerated but it's not I promise you). I just blew up on the kid. I hit the back of his calves and gave him a good push with the blocker. Luckily the refs saw everything that guy had been doing and gave him a penalty while I got away without.

46 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

What do you guys think? Was I overreacting? Should I not have said something in the handshake line? Should I have done something more? Is this fight-worthy stuff? Has anyone here ever fought another goalie (for any reason other than a bench-clearing brawl / they fought your teammate)? What would it take for you to do so? Are goalies with lots of GGSU swag really that lame?? Discuss.

Thoroughly enjoyed that story. I felt my blood rush a little from it.

I've been in one goalie "fight" in my career and it was very early on. It's something that I've learned from and won't seek it anymore. Though, I'm never one to shy away from jawing at someone if I feel they need it (player, goalie, ref). And let me tell ya, knob boy there deserved more than what you gave him. Guy was a Grade A fuck wad.

Don't think too much on it Stackem. It's Hockey.

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

the opposing goalie seemed like a bit of a character. GGSU stick, GGSU jersey,

It's not like he didn't warn you he was a douche.

Sometimes people who are exhibiting asshole behavior don't realize it is asshole behavior. Self-awareness isn't our best trait in this bizarre time.

In all seriousness, I hate any goalie that claps their stick after their team scores a goal. It's okay if you're a mite or squirt who is just excited his team scored, but a grown-ass man dead-ending in men's league doing it should feel intense shame and self-loathing for doing so.

I wanted to run a goalie this session. I was skating out and was pursuing a dumped in puck. The goalie (6'4''/lanky as fuck), steps out of his way to cut into me, which is dangerous for both parties. I resisted the urge to shoulder him for being that dumb, went behind the net to avoid disaster, but on the way back I did give him a firm love-tap behind the pad to let him know of his folly. He slashed and tripped a few of my guys, so we figured he was just a douche, and sitting 3 games because of him wasn't worth it. Instead, his helmet's quality was tested as a result. I hated re-reading this because I sound like a douche as well. The "Oooh, tough guy..." line could apply for anyone involved in this story. 

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that story. I felt my blood rush a little from it. 

Dare I ask, to where?

I have a tendency to get a bit fired up at times, but the only time I wanted to smack another goalie was at a pickup years ago.  My side had a bunch of young kids on travel programs and the other side had a bunch of older, slower dudes.  Their goalie was getting lit up, so I decided to skate down and see if he wanted to switch.  He ended up berating me saying I was taking away his practice time.  OK dude.

I used to go to a few sticktimes to get back in shape.  There is always that one dude that will take full on clappers on you when you aren't looking, are lined up with another shot, etc.  These still piss me off to this day and I will usually say something.

All good, guys and gals — this game happened in August! I was probably over it by the time I pulled into my driveway. I just remember thinking that kid was a rare diamond, and I'd meant to post about the whole thing on here months ago. 

How about putting the mask up during play, has anyone seen that before? I know it doesn't sound like the craziest thing in the world, but I'd never, never seen that before, and I really didn't like it.

25 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

All good, guys and gals — this game happened in August! I was probably over it by the time I pulled into my driveway. I just remember thinking that kid was a rare diamond, and I'd meant to post about the whole thing on here months ago. 

How about putting the mask up during play, has anyone seen that before? I know it doesn't sound like the craziest thing in the world, but I'd never, never seen that before, and I really didn't like it.

When I see the goalie at the other end sporting old pillows, a whooped stick, a birdcage, and some Tackla breezers that look decidedly 'Soviet-era', I get the feeling that I'm gonna lose that game. While I was once that exact guy at the other end, I would hope that my modern gear wouldn't give anyone the impression that I'm a dickhole. This guy, however, is a dickhole. Nothing, a stout beating, or time are the only cures for his ills

Frankly, as a former 'pissed-off, middle-class white male', I can no longer take guys getting chippy and shitty during the game. Just last game, a fella on the other team was getting aggressive after the whistle, and a little bit of "Guys, guys, let's have fun" made him change his tune and actually apologize to me. The world is simply a better skate to suit up for when things skew positive. 

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

Is only game, why you heff to be mad?

53 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I used to see it in roller hockey when I was a kid. In fairness, it was because the rink in the summer was uncomfortably warm. Especially with goalie stuff. 

13 hours ago, Moose75 said:

It's not like he didn't warn you he was a douche.

In all seriousness, I hate any goalie that claps their stick after their team scores a goal. It's okay if you're a mite or squirt who is just excited his team scored, but a grown-ass man dead-ending in men's league doing it should feel intense shame and self-loathing for doing so.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about the GGSU stuff.

Unfortunately, that's about where we stop seeing eye to eye.  I always give my guys three quick, light taps on the ice for a goal.  I feel like they deserve the encouragement in a close game.  In a blowout the taps are light enough no one would ever hear them.  What can I say, superstitions are a beyotch.  In fairness I will congratulate an opposing forward on a nice goal and always give the opposing goalie a couple quick taps to recognize a solid save.  Personally, I've found that making sure I recognize good plays for both teams tends to make for a more relaxed enjoyable game and keeps my from slipping into my old "Hextall/Belfour" mentality where I wanted to kill the family of everyone who scored on me.  

12 hours ago, dualshowman said:

When I see the goalie at the other end sporting old pillows, a whooped stick, a birdcage, and some Tackla breezers that look decidedly 'Soviet-era', I get the feeling that I'm gonna lose that game. While I was once that exact guy at the other end, I would hope that my modern gear wouldn't give anyone the impression that I'm a dickhole. This guy, however, is a dickhole. Nothing, a stout beating, or time are the only cures for his ills

Frankly, as a former 'pissed-off, middle-class white male', I can no longer take guys getting chippy and shitty during the game. Just last game, a fella on the other team was getting aggressive after the whistle, and a little bit of "Guys, guys, let's have fun" made him change his tune and actually apologize to me. The world is simply a better skate to suit up for when things skew positive. 

Well said on more than a few points, @dualshowman. I know what you mean about being strangely intimidated by guys with old gear. I can't really claim to be one of them — my pillow-pads and other "old school" effects are all fairly modern/customized: my gloves and chest pad are 8-15 years old, but everything else has been bought in the last 2-3 years. If anything, it's a curated look, like how people want "vintage" stuff. I'm not Tacks-and-birdcage cool.

Just to clarify (for anyone reading this) I only noted his fresh new gear / impeccably painted mask because in hindsight, his behavior cast it in a certain light. I don't begrudge anyone wearing nice new gear — that would be stupid. Generally, I'm happy for anyone who has gear that makes them happy — I feel that "connective tissue" between my goalie brethren too much to judge people for what they like.

Couldn't agree more with your views on not getting too pissed off, and everyone just trying to enjoy themselves. Not that you don't come across the occasional guy who you'd like to see get his, but I really try to remember that everyone on the ice has a job, a mortgage/rent, a family, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, parents, whatever. Really, the only reason I posted about this kid was because he was such a card that he successfully shattered my calm, forgiving demeanor. Generally, I don't care what people do on the ice, as long as it's not seriously dangerous or malicious.

For some perspective, I had a rough bicycle accident a mere two weeks after that game, and sustained a severe Grade 3 AC separation in my shoulder, tearing both ligaments that connect to the clavicle. It also happened two days before my wife and I were supposed to go on a trip we'd been saving our vacation time for, where we were to canoe out to a 'private island' campground in the Adirondacks and camp/hike for a week... it was a huge letdown. Mostly, I was depressed about not being able to be active, scared that I might never play in goal as much/as well in the future, etc. That injury took several months to recover from, and it took a lot of physical therapy and hard work. I've been back in the ice for a few weeks now and feeling good.

If anything, I have a refreshed perspective on just enjoying myself, being safe, and playing the position I love. Hopefully everyone else does the same. Cheers. 

35 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

If anything, I have a refreshed perspective on just enjoying myself, being safe, and playing the position I love. Hopefully everyone else does the same. Cheers.

See, since you were going to get hurt anyways, you should've just thrown down with buddy. ;)

Edit: Also, I now know your name, DOB and your weak spot.

there's a guy in my league who always has his mask up.  Doesn't bother me, except sometimes he doesn't get it down in time which can result in a whistle.  that's unfair. 

I'll give a little shout or a stick tap if we score.  It's a game, I want to win.  i'm not obnoxious about it, but if they're celebrating when they score on me, why shouldn't I celebrate a little when we score on them.  But i'll also give a stick tap when the goalie does a nice save.

I was mentoring a goalie and he joined the goal celebration (skating by the bench) and I was like "dude, don't ever do that again."  That's a douche move.

and if you get near my crease, I'll push you or slash a little.  It's hockey.  

But the rest of it, yeah, that's bush league.  Esp the comment about your pads.  That's just stupid.

36 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I was mentoring a goalie and he joined the goal celebration (skating by the bench) and I was like "dude, don't ever do that again."  That's a douche move.

I'll be honest, the whole skating by the bench thing feels a little like Jr. High girls softball to me.   Soon we'll have signs on the bench and choreographed cheers too.   

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

See, since you were going to get hurt anyways, you should've just thrown down with buddy. ;)

Edit: Also, I now know your name, DOB and your weak spot.

Re: Name: I'll delete that photo, I prefer not to have my name out there. Glad you pointed it out, Coop. I don't have social media, but enjoy my LinkedIn page?

Re: Birthday: The Ides of March, OoOoOo

Re: Weak Spot: Low stick-side is still the place to go on me, no question. And while I'm hard to deke on a breakaway (I've got that "Richter on Pavel Bure" move on lock), guys seem to be able to open me up for a five-hole goal. But my high blocker's not bad.

As an ex-outplayer and hot head i have found that being in goal has completely changed my attitude towards hockey in general.  went from being pissed off all the games we played to absolute loving it even though I am a newbie with tons to learn.  I don't even get upset anymore if i get hacked a bit encroached in the crease.  i have the attitude that we all gotta work tomorrow so let it go.  only thing that gets me heated now is if the other team is up but quit a bit and they celebrate a goal.  oh ya and half clappers,  supposed to be snap shots but guys like say if it don't go above my waist its a snap shot.  splitting hairs but like i said i need to go to work tomorrow too.  I celebrate in my own way talking to myself and saying its aboot time under my breath.  

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Re: Name: I'll delete that photo, I prefer not to have my name out there. Glad you pointed it out, Coop. I don't have social media, but enjoy my LinkedIn page?

Re: Birthday: The Ides of March, OoOoOo

Re: Weak Spot: Low stick-side is still the place to go on me, no question. And while I'm hard to deke on a breakaway (I've got that "Richter on Pavel Bure" move on lock), guys seem to be able to open me up for a five-hole goal. But my high blocker's not bad.

We're now going to be linked in buddies. And you would bring up Bure/Richter wouldn't you? :thumbdown:

• 3 weeks later...

@stackem30I felt your pain while reading that and @Moose75 was spot on with his GGSU douchebag warning comment.  I used to play against a goalie that always put his helmet up when the puck wasn't in his end and it used to bug the shit out of me.  He wasn't as douchey as your opponent resting on his stick but it still bugged me nonetheless.

Archived