Ever Wanted to Actually Fight a Goalie?

stackem30

No. Some have amused me with "I'm-a-crazy-goalie-look-at-me" antics but I have never cared what the guy at the other end was doing. Be that as it may, I did get into an altercation during junior where the league decided to have the teams dress in locker rooms across the hall way from each other. So you end up with 40 highly charged 17-20 years olds armed with sticks and their crazy coaching staffs during the early 80s. After 60 mins of taking "liberties" with each other, things got a little exciting in the hall way as both teams left the ice. I know the other goalie, who was actually a friend, and I hit each other repeatedly and others while others hit each other and us. All I know for sure is I hit people and people hit me and we all hit each other until local law enforcement arrived. I am glad I never had to engage again. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully I don’t bother the opposing goalie. I like to lean against the crossbar with my arms resting on it when the play is at the other end. I do it to relax and conserve energy for when I need it. I’m also centered in the net and tap the buttend of the stick on the post as I step out to address the oncoming attack. I started doing this back when I was playing almost every night and needed to find ways to conserve energy. If I was tall enough I might even jump up on the top of the goal and sit there like that picture of Kari Lehtonen from many years ago. 😜

personally i never wanted to fight an opposing goalie, nor do i really want to fight an opposing player

Unless they purposely do some dumb shit to me, i tend to be very quiet. Even then, when they do stupid stuff, the extent of it will be me yelling some insult at them or wack their shin w my stick. I remember i once got ran over and i fell on my back and my helmet flew off and i didnt really lose my cool that much (mainly bc we had 5 people on our team and 2 kids had penaltys already, league is super strict and game wouldve ended if i took a penalty) but the kid looked all scared bc i was like twice his size and i just blew it off and asked him if he was alright too

Id rather let my performance in the game speak for me, as opposed to, like @Fullright said earlier, the "im a crazy goalie look at me" act

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

E2DFC231-7EF8-4F84-82D5-DE0AAF7A489C.jpeg

I've played enough competitive hockey in my life to know there are certain things you don't do. I've played for teams that have had over 100 shots on goal in a game, and I've been on the receiving end of 50-plus shot games. If you don't have a lot of shots, you don't lift your mask up during play or, god forbid, sit on the top of the net, which is far worse. At certain level, you should not only have respect for the game, but also the goalie at the other end. We are--as they say--a "different breed." You see plenty of one-sided games in the NHL, and you never see goalies doing this garbage. 

In juniors, my two fights were products of two entirely different, and unrelated, situations. The first was egged on by the players on both teams who wanted to see a goalie fight and both teams wouldn't make the playoffs. They eventually got what they wanted after a 3rd period line brawl. The second fight was the product of a line brawl at a college showcase in Massachusetts: I looked up and the goalie was shaking his gloves, so let's rumble. 

29 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

I've played enough competitive hockey in my life to know there are certain things you don't do.

Not sure what you are alluding to here: one goalie fighting another, or the flipping of the mask, but quite frankly nothing you've mentioned here warrants a fight, especially a goalie shaking his gloves.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, stackem30 said:

I know, but what's the message — that you can't be touched? You're not really addressing what we were just saying. Everyone else on the ice deals with a hell of a lot more without feeling like the need to retaliate and "send a message". Why do goalies have to be different? 

All the guys skating in front of you have had to learn that if they want to play this game for any length of time, they're going to have to learn to deal with not taking every little whack and push as a personal offense that requires a retaliation. They know that the other player is just doing their job, and playing them hard. It's nothing personal. I think more goalies should keep that in mind, rather than behaving as though we exist in some untouchable realm. 

I agree, with the caveat that if I feel endangered I will strike back.  Like when you catch a puck in the belly standing up and some jackhole foward cruises by and takes a whack in your midsection.  That riles me up.  

A poke at the glove on the ice with the puck covered, no biggie.  A two handed slash at my hands, yeah, I'm gonna get pissy.

2 hours ago, Colander said:

Not sure what you are alluding to here: one goalie fighting another, or the flipping of the mask, but quite frankly nothing you've mentioned here warrants a fight, especially a goalie shaking his gloves.

It's pretty clear from the context of the conversation, and my posts, what I consider plainly unacceptable: and that's lifting your mask up during play (I've never seen any goalie sit on top of their net during play). If you disagree, fine. But I've played enough competitive hockey in my life, including juniors and college, to know that doing so is wildly unacceptable. Maybe not all agree, but in my 20+ years of playing goalie, I've learned that hockey, like golf, has gentlemen rules. One of those rules, in the context of playing goalie, is not lifting your mask up--during play--and leaving it on top of your head while you watch play in the other team's zone. At bottom, it's disrespectful, if not worse. And I'm more than happy to make a goalie pay for it.

I merely explained the context of my own two goalie fights to give readers the necessary background to know that I have not fought any goalie for doing what I consider unacceptable, as explained above (probably because most goalies know it's total garbage). Indeed, my own goalie fights (something apparently many other readers in this thread have not experienced) were the result of pretty normal circumstances: line brawls. 

If you want to lift up your mask to watch play in the far zone (not to briefly wipe sweat or something), by all means. But if you do, at least you now know how people feel about it.

OK – I’m still not seeing it. A guy almost 200 feet away flips is mask up – why would I think that means something and even if it did, why would I care?

I guess I come from a different school of hockey, but I’ve never heard of this “gentleman’s rule”.  Whenever I see a guy flip up his mask I assume he’s just getting a blast of cool air – could even be part of his ritual to “maintain an even strain”.  

As you said, I do flip mine up to take a drink and/or wipe my face. But I guess sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…

On 2/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, MTH said:

Meanwhile the dude is dying from asthma. Or worse, is congested and can't breathe through his nose.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, BauerHockey47 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's what happening when someone lifts their mask up to watch the play in the other team's zone. (eye roll)

Actually, I think these two posts sum up the fact that there are definitely two polar opposites in how people view the mask flip .

As I said before, you chose how what others do affects you.

4 hours ago, Colander said:

Actually, I think these two posts sum up the fact that there are definitely two polar opposites in how people view the mask flip .

As I said before, you chose how what others do affects you.

How is it not disrespectful? You’re making it obvious you think the team sucks if you keep your mask up that long, and when you keep your mask up that’s kinda saying the team sucks so bad that you don’t have to be ready and put your mask back on for a shot. I’m not saying if you put your mask up at all during play it’s disrespectful, we’re talking about the douchebags who keep them up during play. 

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

How is it not disrespectful? You’re making it obvious you think the team sucks if you keep your mask up that long, and when you keep your mask up that’s kinda saying the team sucks so bad that you don’t have to be ready and put your mask back on for a shot. I’m not saying if you put your mask up at all during play it’s disrespectful, we’re talking about the douchebags who keep them up during play. 

First off, don’t get me wrong – I am not defending the fellow: my point is, whether it is disrespectful is in the eye of the beholder. In the original situation that may have been the goalie's intent, but even if I cared, what am I going to do about it - skate 200 feet and punch him out?

Truth is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy – either:

(a) he flips his mask up and pays for it by not being ready and getting scored on when a rush comes - at which point he probably stops the mask flip,  or

(b) he is good enough that he has enough time to put it down and make the save.

I know no one likes the “b” option (present company included) but that’s the reality. The OP actually stated they were playing over their heads (my own words) – the other goalie took full advantage of this. If he is putting you off your game, then he is winning.  

@stackem30: I know you were not happy about the opposing goalie’s mannerisms: I don’t blame you and am not trying to minimize your feelings about that issue. I am just stating my view toward one of the issues and trying to understand why it is acerbic to others. Compared to some of the stuff that happens today it seems (to me) pretty benign.

I’ll be honest I don’t pay much attention to the opposing goalie. If they had their mask up during play I wouldn’t notice because I am watching the puck/play in my own end. That said I have had a couple times where I almost got in a Goalie fight, twice. The first was in men’s league and I made the save, covered the puck someone gave me a bit of a spear after the play my teammates take exception and it turns into a line brawl. At that point I am just standing outside the fray when I see their goalie charging down the ice mask and gloves already off coming to jump me. Ref jumped in and grabbed him before he got to me. 

2bd time was in a money tournament, last game of the round robin, their starter got pulled as we were beating them badly. So tough guy is on the bench just chirping me all 3rd period long, I ignore him until he challenges me to fight, then I tell him come on out, I’ll fight you, he then shut up and even apologized in the hand shake line. That was weird

On 2/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, Colander said:

OK – I’m still not seeing it. A guy almost 200 feet away flips is mask up – why would I think that means something and even if it did, why would I care?

I guess I come from a different school of hockey, but I’ve never heard of this “gentleman’s rule”.  Whenever I see a guy flip up his mask I assume he’s just getting a blast of cool air – could even be part of his ritual to “maintain an even strain”.  

As you said, I do flip mine up to take a drink and/or wipe my face. But I guess sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…

No one is talking about starting a fight over briefly lifting your mask to take a sip or water or wipe your face; we're talking about someone who lifts their mask up during play--not between whistles--for no reason other than to taunt the opposing team. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

21 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

@southpawtendy48 gets it.

3 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

No one is talking about starting a fight over briefly lifting your mask to take a sip or water or wipe your face; we're talking about someone who lifts their mask up during play--not between whistles--for no reason other than to taunt the opposing team. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Hockey, as with many sports is a game of taunts - or what we now label as chirps. I think a thicker skin is needed if this is getting your blood boiling.

With regards to respect, as with life being fair, who said people were required to give you any? When you have the opportunity,  you can only hope to earn it from some people, otherwise it can be a long wait if you expect to automatically get it from the mass of people who don't know you - and some people will never give to anyone such as the character at the other end of the ice in this thread (for all you know he's reading this right now and chuckling).

As far as how I sleep at night:  compared to all the stuff in life you will deal with, a guy who flips his mask up at the other end of the ice will never cause me to lose a wink.

5 hours ago, Colander said:

As far as how I sleep at night:  compared to all the stuff in life you will deal with, a guy who flips his mask up at the other end of the ice will never cause me to lose a wink.

This.

Honestly, I probably wouldnt notice if the other goalie lifted his helmet. If youre paying attention to the other goalie and not the actual game i think you should look at your priorities as a goalie

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, Colander said:

@stackem30: I know you were not happy about the opposing goalie’s mannerisms: I don’t blame you and am not trying to minimize your feelings about that issue. I am just stating my view toward one of the issues and trying to understand why it is acerbic to others. Compared to some of the stuff that happens today it seems (to me) pretty benign.

Context matters. If you read the full post (which you may have, I just skimmed your responses), you'll see that keeping his mask up during play — not briefly lifting it up, as others have pointed out — was merely one ingredient in the cocktail of fairly disrespectful things the guy whipped up during a single game. He was just being a hotdog, and going out of his way to show how bored and unthreatened he was by my team the whole game — he was certainly not catching his breath.

But no matter, I wasn't advocating fighting the guy — if you read my comments throughout this thread, you'll see that I'm generally disinterested in fighting/retribution, and that I advocate letting most things go. The entire raison d'etre of this thread was to describe the one time someone nearly drove me to slug them. 

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Context matters. If you read the full post (which you may have, I just skimmed your responses), you'll see that keeping his mask up during play — not briefly lifting it up, as others have pointed out — was merely one ingredient in the cocktail of fairly disrespectful things the guy whipped up during a single game. He was just being a hotdog, and going out of his way to show how bored and unthreatened he was by my team the whole game — he was certainly not catching his breath.

But no matter, I wasn't advocating fighting the guy — if you read my comments throughout this thread, you'll see that I'm generally disinterested in fighting/retribution, and that I advocate letting most things go. The entire raison d'etre of this thread was to describe the one time someone nearly drove me to slug them. 

@stackem30 I did read all the posts, a number of times to ensure I understood where everyone was coming from. FYI: I agree fully with everything you have said in your post that I quoted in this response. It is clear the guy was trying to get under your team’s skin and I don’t agree with it. Frankly in my world there is no place for this kind of stuff, as well as chirps etc. but what can you do?

Again, my questions weren’t rhetorical: I was and am interested in why this flipping of the mask get so many people upset. I understand what the perception is, but it seems almost to be a “taught” response. I guess I look at it this way: when the play was out of his zone, Ken Dryden used to lean on his goalie stick, as one reporter wrote “like a farmer surveying his crops”. Back then it was just something he did. I suspect that today that would be considered disrespectful.

So I've seen this topic come back up on the Latest a few times... never really read through it until today. I get where @stackem30 is coming from... the pre-gram chirping... mask lifting... taking shots at anyone near his crease. My short answer is NO.

My long answer is that there will always be guys like that. At school, at work, at the coffee shop... everywhere. Sounds like he's old enough to not only understand what he's doing... but that he's been doing it long enough that even if he lost some teeth over it he wouldn't change. Real question is even if it would change him is it worth it? No. Thinking about him and his shinanigans during the game doesn't do much besides take your focus off of keeping the puck out of the net... or worse... get even more annoyed and frustrated when it does go in. I've found concerning myself with what I can control/influence keeps me plenty enough busy as it is.

I do play against a guy who gets under the skin of other goalies though... no personal chirping or anything... just does things like complains about EVERY call against his team or missed infractions... he calls out the score (usually only when his team is winning.) But whatever... that's him. He has a good team in front of him and when they win he's usually not the reason why... but when they lose he is. Those things tend to work themselves out in the long run.

1 hour ago, Colander said:

@stackem30 I did read all the posts, a number of times to ensure I understood where everyone was coming from. FYI: I agree fully with everything you have said in your post that I quoted in this response. It is clear the guy was trying to get under your team’s skin and I don’t agree with it. Frankly in my world there is no place for this kind of stuff, as well as chirps etc. but what can you do?

Seems like you've already got the idea ^^^ But I think others here did a fine job of explaining why keeping your mask up during play would be seen as an affrontit was a non-verbal way of telegraphing "I couldn't be less worried about getting a shot right now — this team is so bad that I don't even need to cover my face while the puck's in the neutral zone. Yawn." 

Examining almost *any* human behavior without the context and confines of the surrounding culture makes it look ridiculous. I mean, to someone with no knowledge of Western culture, lifting up a middle finger and gesturing towards someone is also completely benign, and they would likely think that it's bizarre to be offended by it — just as high school freshmen all laugh at the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet, where representatives of two families address the perceived slight of "biting your thumb" at someone. But we have collectively ascribed meaning to the middle finger, so most people are bound to be offended by the gesture — because we all agree it is indicative of a combative, negative attitude. Could we not say the same thing about keeping your mask up for an extended period during play? It's a harmless gesture, but to people of a certain experience/knowledge, it's loaded with some meaning.

At the end of the day, there's no right answer here: from "that guy looked at me funny..." to nuclear warfare, mankind has always struggled to agree on how to interpret actions, or what the proper response is. I just think stating "he lifted his mask, so what?" is a bit of a facile position, and ignores some of the 'cultural implications' within our sport.

@BadAngle41 I agree. I never really thought about fighting the guy, and I truly forgot all about him until months later when I was compelled to post about the game. Mostly just meant as a funny/aggravating story that I thought people here would find interesting. I think the better title for this thread might have been "The one time another goalie got under my skin" or "Listen to what a tool this guy was..." Still, it's interesting to learn what people will tolerate, or what they have no tolerance for. Personally, almost nothing bothers me on the ice, almost to a fault — this was a rare instance where someone managed to exceed my own expectations/tolerance for bad behavior.

Archived