Ever Wanted to Actually Fight a Goalie?

stackem30

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

... I mean, to someone with no knowledge of Western culture, lifting up a middle finger and gesturing towards someone is also completely benign, and they would likely think that it's bizarre to be offended by it — just as high school freshmen all laugh at the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet, where representatives of two families address the perceived slight of "biting your thumb" at someone. But we have collectively ascribed meaning to the middle finger, so most people are bound to be offended by the gesture — because we all agree it is indicative of a combative, negative attitude....

Perfect! I actually used that exact example of the middle finger when describing this thread to someone else. Your examples are pretty well what I was thinking when I questioned f this was some sort of "taught response".

In my case I never really connected anyone keeping the mask up as slag, so I guess I am the living embodiment of the saying "ignorance is bliss"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Colander said:

Perfect! I actually used that exact example of the middle finger when describing this thread to someone else. Your examples are pretty well what I was thinking when I questioned f this was some sort of "taught response".

In my case I never really connected anyone keeping the mask up as slag, so I guess I am the living embodiment of the saying "ignorance is bliss"

I mean, it depends: I usually have my mask up at various points during warmups, in-between periods, and even in between whistles — but I'd never keep it up during play, even if the puck was on the other end of the ice the entire game. 

• 8 months later...

About the only time I get upset at a player is if they continue to hack at me after the puck is covered and the whistle has blown 2 or 3 times and the idiot is still trying to poke the puck under me....🙄 Fortunately it's only happened a couple times.

As for fighting another goalie, only once since hotshot decided he needed to skate across center ice when I and one of his skaters took offsetting penalties for roughing behind my net. The puck comes in, I went into the trapezoid to play the puck, positioned myself between the opposing player and the puck, so he moves to my opposite side so I position between him and the puck again. At this point, their hero decides to give me a cross check. He moved back around to the previous side which I blocked him once more and dumped the puck behind my net and up the boards. By reflex I gave dude a shot with my blocker. Somewhere in there the refs blew the whistle. Then I skated after him to give him an ass chewing. Had no desire to fight, somewhere in there I'm not sure if I took a hit to the mask (chin was a little sore after) and the refs separated us which without objection I returned to my crease. I look up and their goalie is almost to our blue line. Talk about overly aggressive. Dude should've been kicked out of the game for the stunt and the move alone got me quite heated especially after the other guy chose to play dirty. At the end of the day we smoked them 11-2 which helped.

I've never tried to fight, or been challenged, by another goalie; but once (when I was playing defence) I did grab a guy in a LVNR and drag him down to the ice when he tried to horsecollar my 'tender. (I got a game, he got eleven XD)

There was this other time some old fucker came charging in from the blue-line, trying to get at me during a scrum I started after one of their forwards chopped my hands after the whistle. Refs intercepted him before I could put my blocker through his teeth, and he got tossed.

• 2 months later...

Been in one fight with another goalie and I didn't even know what was happening right before. First game I was filling in for my local colleges club team (Ventura county community college) and we were playing San Diego college, in SD. We were getting blown out 7-1/2 and my team was tired of it and started demolishing people, which led to a all out brawl. I was just sitting in my net watching when I noticed the other teams goalie skate down to me with his mask off and gloves. At first I was thinking what the hell is he doing and realized he wanted to fight. we both ended up throwing some punches that didn't land and I lost my balance and fell down dragging him on top of me.

In the men's league I use to play in it was a pretty competitive league no matter the skill level which made playing fun because everyone actually cared about playing which meant there was actual defense. There were a few heated games that everyone would cheer when one team scored or the other because bad blood. I don't think I've ever wanted to fight a goalie, but there have been plenty of players I have jawed at.

Never had a goalie fight. Only once did I really want to fight either. 

Opposing goalie did a full wind up baseball style, but decided to check his swing and lightly tap my teammate instead of swinging for the fences.

I almost started a post game brawl though.  We won 4-1 or something and I went to the wrong set of locker room doors while their goalie was chirping me, about not being able to stand up, I am 6'3" and he was maybe 5'7" so I just stood there, looming over him not a care in the world, everyone is waiting for a punch to be thrown, while I was waiting to get into the locker room and thinking post game tacos.   

On 1/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, Moose75 said:

In all seriousness, I hate any goalie that claps their stick after their team scores a goal. It's okay if you're a mite or squirt who is just excited his team scored, but a grown-ass man dead-ending in men's league doing it should feel intense shame and self-loathing for doing so

The only time I clap my stick for a goal my team makes is for the first when we’re getting our ass handed to us and the skaters seem deflated. 

Usually if I clap it’s for the other teams goalie when they make a really good save. 

Though this has given me pause about doing the first example ever again 😅

1 hour ago, benner33 said:

The only time I clap my stick for a goal my team makes is for the first when we’re getting our ass handed to us and the skaters seem deflated. 

Usually if I clap it’s for the other teams goalie when they make a really good save. 

Though this has given me pause about doing the first example ever again 😅

Im right there with you, If the other teams goalie makes a really nice save I usually give him a little stick clap. I also meet the goalie between periods when they are going to their bench and give them some blocker love and tell them good job.

For some reason I tend to think its us goalies vs players and always show love for the fellow tendy.

I always clap my stick for a good save on the other end.

For me, there is nothing to prove in these days of “for fun” athletics and actually find myself poking fun at people who take this stuff seriously. I had two runs in two sports trying to be a pro and fell short. Gave it all up in those days with no regrets and I now play for the love of it. Don’t get me wrong- I want to play well, but if I have a garbage game, I am not going to dwell on it. I had to learn to let go of competitiveness because it brought a lot of stress on me.

In the end, I ask these questions when guys start getting weird: Any puck bunnies in the stands? Only if you brought them. Any scouts? Maybe for a blooper reel movie of bad beer league play. If anyone were that good, they would not be playing in a clapped out rink, dressing in rooms rife with the aroma of black mould and showers that spit out lukewarm, rust-tinged water. Simmer your ass down, play some hockey, get a bit of exercise and drink a beer or ten with your mates, I say. 

Archived