Glove Comparison Database

TheGoalNet

20 minutes ago, CJ17 said:

What do people love about the 580 break? I have the opportunity to get a custom set for cheap so I'm thinking about trying something knew with the glove. 

I think a lot of it familiarity. Reebok/CCM probably has the second most devoted following (Vaughn probably wins that category). Since the 580 break has been around since the KOHO days, guys just don't want to change out of it.

I don't think too many people go to the 580 break, but mostly stick with it.

30 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I think a lot of it familiarity. Reebok/CCM probably has the second most devoted following (Vaughn probably wins that category). Since the 580 break has been around since the KOHO days, guys just don't want to change out of it.

I don't think too many people go to the 580 break, but mostly stick with it.

Agreed w/ you here Coop... I fell into a 580 w/ Koho... I've tried other breaks (and brands)... but nothing ever feels the same as a 580. I suspect it will be abandoned sooner rather than later though as it's not very conducive to today's demands on puck handling . Just doesn't have that nice notch to get a good snap... more of a push. 

Trying on a 580 glove at goaliemonkey, I see why people like it but I HATE the feel of pinching your thumb and index finger to close it. Especially when you’re gripping the stick. It has a lot of benefits but I’m trying to get myself to be more adequate at puckplaying. I was never sold on the 590 breaks being the absolute best for that as I’ve heard some people say, I’d like to close it with my whole hand and I get that from my Vaughn glove now.

11 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Trying on a 580 glove at goaliemonkey, I see why people like it but I HATE the feel of pinching your thumb and index finger to close it. Especially when you’re gripping the stick. It has a lot of benefits but I’m trying to get myself to be more adequate at puckplaying. I was never sold on the 590 breaks being the absolute best for that as I’ve heard some people say, I’d like to close it with my whole hand and I get that from my Vaughn glove now.

Again, everyone has their preferences and CCM and Vaughn guys are the biggest culprits for brand loyalty. You can get similar feelings between brands, but 590/580 guys swear up and down that theirs is the absolute best.

I went from a LT90 closure, thought it was the best closure and blamed my lack of catching ability on me. Switched to the R/GT and have improved by an enormous amount.

Everyone just needs to find the glove/break that works best for them.

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Again, everyone has their preferences and CCM and Vaughn guys are the biggest culprits for brand loyalty. You can get similar feelings between brands, but 590/580 guys swear up and down that theirs is the absolute best.

I went from a LT90 closure, thought it was the best closure and blamed my lack of catching ability on me. Switched to the R/GT and have improved by an enormous amount.

Everyone just needs to find the glove/break that works best for them.

My catching hand has been on and off lol. even then it’s still been able to hold on to some pucks in the pocket. 

Edited by southpawtendy48

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2017 at 11:54 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Fingers Only Closure: CCM 580 Break - 

Break at Knuckles - CCM 590 Break - Bauer 1X Vapor Glove - Warrior GT

Fingers & Thumb Closure: CCM 600 Break - Vaughn 5500 Break - Factory Mad - Bauer 1S Glove - Warrior Ritual 

On 5/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, A10airknight said:

My Gnetik 5.0 is a finger and thumb. 

On 5/24/2017 at 7:34 PM, TheGoalNet said:

GNetik is most simialr too 590ish 

SZ is most similar to 600ish

On 6/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, Elliott29 said:

"the 1S is more of a 590 break style" meaning more of a fingers to base of the thumb type of closure. 

On 6/6/2017 at 12:31 PM, TheGoalNet said:

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

On 10/16/2017 at 3:18 PM, Doobiesnax said:

isnt this the opposite of the original post?  

The 590 is fingers to thumb (top pic) and the 580 would be more like the bottom pic, or full palm closure...

warrior-goalie-accessories-ritual-g2-glove-liner-sr-inset4.thumb.jpg.daee5d5d69c1a8632d2bfdc035ebff6e.jpg

MEYNuER.jpg

On 10/16/2017 at 3:27 PM, IPv6Freely said:

The baseball style closure (the 600 in the above photos) 

On 10/16/2017 at 8:01 PM, TheGoalNet said:

someday I should whip out my OG 580 and see how that feels now that I'm used to the baseball style 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:08 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

All of a sudden I can't remember what my T5500 feels like.  I think thumb to fingers...

On 10/17/2017 at 4:10 PM, TheGoalNet said:

5500 is thumb to fingers aka baseball style 

On 10/18/2017 at 11:00 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Optik is fingers to thumb aka baseball style 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, estogoalie said:

SZ is something like 40° fingers/thumb, and Gnetik is more like a 90° (580) or something like that. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Trying on a 580 glove at goaliemonkey, I see why people like it but I HATE the feel of pinching your thumb and index finger to close it.

I was never sold on the 590 breaks being the absolute best for that as I’ve heard some people say, I’d like to close it with my whole hand and I get that from my Vaughn glove now.

Edited by BonesDT

This is why I hate glove closure explanations.  I feel like everybody is all over the place.  I always understood 590 as 60-degrees, 580 as 90-degrees, and 600 as 75-degrees (thanks to Lefevre/Koho/Reebok/CCM for massively confusing model numbers).  With 60-degrees being the "baseball" style closure.

All I know is I have a background in baseball and was awesome at catching, but I tried a Reebok 590 (60-degree) and I couldn't get a puck to land in the pocket, worst glove ever (for me).  I then had a Warrior G2 75-degree and my glove hand was never better.  I upgraded to the G3 75-degree, which is still great, but slightly off from the G2.  Someone posted the G2 was more like a Vaughn Velocity while the G3 was more like a CCM (didn't clarify which break).

Oh well.  

2 hours ago, BonesDT said:

This is why I hate glove closure explanations.  I feel like everybody is all over the place.  I always understood 590 as 60-degrees, 580 as 90-degrees, and 600 as 75-degrees (thanks to Lefevre/Koho/Reebok/CCM for massively confusing model numbers).  With 60-degrees being the "baseball" style closure.

All I know is I have a background in baseball and was awesome at catching, but I tried a Reebok 590 (60-degree) and I couldn't get a puck to land in the pocket, worst glove ever (for me).  I then had a Warrior G2 75-degree and my glove hand was never better.  I upgraded to the G3 75-degree, which is still great, but slightly off from the G2.  Someone posted the G2 was more like a Vaughn Velocity while the G3 was more like a CCM (didn't clarify which break).

Oh well.  

Well, I wasn’t even explaining anything, just stating my opinions on the closures like some others, everyone has a different feel for things. 

3 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Oh well.  

You sure you played baseball? Because if you did the 590 would be it!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for waking up an old thread...

I bought  a Warrior Ritual G3 Pro catcher  from goaliemonkey during the boxing week sale. (even though after the shipping and taxes across the border, it doesn't feel like much of a sale)...

The catcher just arrived yesterday.  I tried it on for the first time and it feels totally different than the Vaughn T5500 that I have been wearing.

However, the G3 comes with a 75° removable liner.  I can order 60° and 90° liners to be put in instead (assuming they are available still).

My question is:   Which break angle has the closest feel to the Vaughn T5500?  Can someone with experience with both gloves please help?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190123_215407.jpg

IMG_20190123_215418.jpg

17 hours ago, sk2000freak said:

Sorry for waking up an old thread...

I bought  a Warrior Ritual G3 Pro catcher  from goaliemonkey during the boxing week sale. (even though after the shipping and taxes across the border, it doesn't feel like much of a sale)...

The catcher just arrived yesterday.  I tried it on for the first time and it feels totally different than the Vaughn T5500 that I have been wearing.

However, the G3 comes with a 75° removable liner.  I can order 60° and 90° liners to be put in instead (assuming they are available still).

My question is:   Which break angle has the closest feel to the Vaughn T5500?  Can someone with experience with both gloves please help?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190123_215407.jpg

IMG_20190123_215418.jpg

60 I believe, but the G3 is never really going to feel anything like the T5500, just a completely different style of glove.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

60 I believe, but the G3 is never really going to feel anything like the T5500, just a completely different style of glove.

The T5500 was my favorite glove until I tried the G3 Pro (75 degree liner). I thought they both felt very great, similar, natural for my hand motion, and the G3 Pro had immediate snap closure out of the box. I guess this is just further proof that gloves are 100% personal preference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teezle said:

The T5500 was my favorite glove until I tried the G3 Pro (75 degree liner). I thought they both felt very great, similar, natural for my hand motion, and the G3 Pro had immediate snap closure out of the box. I guess this is just further proof that gloves are 100% personal preference.

No question that gloves and chest protectors are the most individual pieces of equipment out there.  They all seem to feel different to everyone and that has a lot to do with our various sizes and shapes.  I've had every Warrior glove going back to the Swagger and since the G2,  they just don't feel anything like a traditional glove like the T5500 to me.  Not saying they don't perform well, quite the contrary, but going from one to the other would be a bit of an adjustment for most people I think.  That's the only point I was making.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

No question that gloves and chest protectors are the most individual pieces of equipment out there.  They all seem to feel different to everyone and that has a lot to do with our various sizes and shapes.  I've had every Warrior glove going back to the Swagger and since the G2,  they just don't feel anything like a traditional glove like the T5500 to me.  Not saying they don't perform well, quite the contrary, but going from one to the other would be a bit of an adjustment for most people I think.  That's the only point I was making.  

I think this is the point we're both trying to make, and it's pretty well illustrated in both of our posts. You think they feel very different, and I think they feel very similar (these two specific gloves). Saying to someone "get this glove Y because it feels like your current glove X" will be very subjective, and so I don't think it's very helpful.

Instead of comparing generic break angles, etc. I think it may be more useful to talk specifically about what people like in their gloves internally: do your fingers spread out inside the palm, how much wiggle room is there in the finger stalls (and do you like that), what angle you hold your wrist at, what angle the glove tries to put your wrist at, do you wear the back hand loose or crank it down tight (and where those straps are on your hand can play a huge role in comfort), and a myriad of other little details that all combine to make up a glove that we enjoy using. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.   I guess I will just have to get used to it.
I loosened up the straps and put a stick to stretch the pocket open for a day... The glove feels better already.
Another question is where can I get those G3 liners (both catcher and blocker)?  A lot of websites carried them but they are all sold out.

29 minutes ago, sk2000freak said:

Another question is where can I get those G3 liners (both catcher and blocker)?  A lot of websites carried them but they are all sold out.

Remember, the G3 is the older line. Of course the older one will be harder to fine. I think a G4 liner will fit but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

G4 Liner                                                                                                                                                                 G3 Liner

125110182_RG4Liner.jpg.cc8a4bb0b8914d977ea35bb67758849a.jpgg3tls756000_war_02_i?$dw_temp_default_gallery$

Image result for you're welcome

Edited by ThatCarGuy
EDIT: Hi Res Images

• 1 month later...

Just reading back through this thread, made me think that its kind of strange that gloves are almost universally referred to by break angle these days instead of model type - especially given that theres so many build variables that go into each glove. I remember reading a few years back (maybe on the GSBB) that the original Koho / Lefevre angle designation of 60/90 degrees was actually to do with how they saw the goalies arm in the stance, rather than the mechanics of the glove - i.e. if you held your glove arm at a approx 60 degree angle in your stance then the 590 glove was better for you etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I personally think with gloves, to simply try it on. Just relying on break angles do not always provide accurate hand feel. 

CCM 590 = Vaughn VE8 1 piece = Genetik = Bauer 2S

CCM600 = Vaughn PVE/VE8 2 piece/SLR (a bit modified)

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X. 

Warrior doesn't really count as I don't notice THAT much of a difference when switching liners since the glove itself is still the same. 

NOTE: This is just what I feel when I try them out. REsults may vary.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:49 AM, ruckus007 said:

I personally think with gloves, to simply try it on. Just relying on break angles do not always provide accurate hand feel. 

CCM 590 = Vaughn VE8 1 piece = Genetik = Bauer 2S

CCM600 = Vaughn PVE/VE8 2 piece/SLR (a bit modified)

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X

Warrior doesn't really count as I don't notice THAT much of a difference when switching liners since the glove itself is still the same. 

NOTE: This is just what I feel when I try them out. REsults may vary.

To get a feel based second opinion

Agree: 

CCM 580 = Brian's Subzero = Bauer 1X/2X

Don't Agree:

CCM 590 = Bauer 2S

For me the 2S much closer resembles the CCM 600

Don't know Vaughn enough to comment there.