Searching for a Glove

ThatCarGuy

I need a new (or used) glove. in my current glove 2 out 3 of the plastic inserts are cracked and I'm using an intermediate glove with intermediate padding to play Varsity hockey. Yep, that hurts a little. I currently have a CCM Premier R1.9 Intermediate glove and love it. It closes perfectly and easily. I need a new glove but it needs to be intermediate (I have big hands but pencil fingers), it needs to have decent padding, and it needs to close easily. I also can't afford any custom gloves (no $300USD gloves for me). I've looked into the Warrior G3 glove and am interested by it. Any better suggestions?

Thank you,

-T

5 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I need a new glove. in my current glove 2 out 3 of the plastic inserts are cracked and I'm using an intermediate glove with intermediate padding to play Varsity hockey. Yep, that hurts a little. I currently have a CCM Premier R1.9 Intermediate glove and love it. It closes perfectly and easily. I need a new glove but it needs to be intermediate (I have big hands but pencil fingers), it needs to have decent padding, and it needs to close easily. I also can't afford any custom gloves (no $300USD gloves for me). I've looked into the Warrior G3 glove and am interested by it. Any better suggestions?

Thank you,

-T

Are you opposed to used? If not, maybe look for a used CCM. It will be a more durable version of what you already like.

42 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Are you opposed to used? If not, maybe look for a used CCM. It will be a more durable version of what you already like.

This CCM was my first brand new glove. I am not opposed to used in any way. I'll take a look on SideLineSwap.

32 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I prefer the GT line by Warrior... I like the traditional feel over the removable liner in the G3

Interesting. I have tried that on yet. Next time I drop by monkey sports I'll try it.

I also really liked the feel of the stock Gnetik IV glove, the strapping felt just about perfect and it closed better from the factory than my broken in CCM. Sadly I do not have $500 to put into a glove.

41 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I also really liked the feel of the stock Gnetik IV glove, the strapping felt just about perfect and it closed better from the factory than my broken in CCM. Sadly I do not have $500 to put into a glove.

I was at my LHS last week and threw on the IV... it was a very nice closure and felt great on the hand.  The BOA system is nice as well.

CCM 590 and the IV would be runners up for me after the GT Pro

Alright, I tried my buddy's Warrior G3 glove on the other day and I loved it. It's a million times for comfortable than my R1.9.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, cwarnar said:

I was at my LHS last week and threw on the IV... it was a very nice closure and felt great on the hand.  The BOA system is nice as well.

CCM 590 and the IV would be runners up for me after the GT Pro

Hopefully I'll be making a trip to monkey sports here soon to try on more gloves. I'm yet to try the CCM eflex series or 590 gloves. I was in a bit of a rush last time and didn't get around to the GT glove either. I did try the Bauer gloves (those are annoying to close) and the Optik glove (didn't like that either). I also tried a couple Vaughn's (I forget which) and they felt kind of similar to my CCM R1.9.

I am also no longer restricted to only Intermediate gloves, I tried my dad's Senior R1.9 and it honestly felt the same, just with a little more padding. However, his glove had the same weakness as my R1.9, the break has zero padding. Because of this I am considering getting a glove with a practice palm and having Factory Mad do their thing to it.

Thank you,

-T

CCM int glove is bigger than Bauers and Warriors. I don´t even know what is the difference between CCM 1.9 int and sr. Maybe there is more padding in sr version, size seems to be the same. For your budget I guess Warrior G4 or GT SR is the best choice, there is enough protection and I think those fit nicely for small handed goalies. 

56 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

CCM gloves are the same as the Premier gloves

Image result for ccm r1.9 gloveYep. figured that one out pretty quick.

Any glove you try in store will be stiffer due to them being new.

Indeed, the difference is incredible. To insure better testing I tried on a brand new R1.9 that wasn't broken in so I had something to compare it to.

You really don't need practice palms. Go for it if you want, it's just a tad overkill.

54 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

This... Even NHL guys use game ready for regular play.  A pro level glove will be more than adequate for what you need

I didn't think I needed practice palms either until I used my dad's CCM Senior R1.9 and got a several bruises to the bone through that (mainly along the break). I've never had pro level gloves either so I'm willing to give that a shot (pun not intended).

23 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

CCM int glove is bigger than Bauers and Warriors. I don´t even know what is the difference between CCM 1.9 int and sr. Maybe there is more padding in sr version, size seems to be the same. For your budget I guess Warrior G4 or GT SR is the best choice, there is enough protection and I think those fit nicely for small handed goalies.

From what I was told the CCM Int gloves are just Seniors with different internals. Sounds like I really need to look more in to these Warrior gloves though.

Alright, looks like I'll be getting some sort of Pro (maybe return) glove. Unfortunately, my Varsity coaches have no concern for safety and don't want me to use mismatched gear so I can't keep using my dad's glove and have to keep using my broken R1.9 (it's ok though, I'm not a fan of mismatched gear either).

I think I have a Brian's Subzero glove sitting somewhere in our garage. How good are those?

Also did I quote enough people?

Thank you,

-T

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Image result for ccm r1.9 gloveYep. figured that one out pretty quick.

Indeed, the difference is incredible. To insure better testing I tried on a brand new R1.9 that wasn't broken in so I had something to compare it to.

I didn't think I needed practice palms either until I used my dad's CCM Senior R1.9 and got a several bruises to the bone through that (mainly along the break). I've never had pro level gloves either so I'm willing to give that a shot (pun not intended).

From what I was told the CCM Int gloves are just Seniors with different internals. Sounds like I really need to look more in to these Warrior gloves though.

Alright, looks like I'll be getting some sort of Pro (maybe return) glove. Unfortunately, my Varsity coaches have no concern for safety and don't want me to use mismatched gear so I can't keep using my dad's glove and have to keep using my broken R1.9 (it's ok though, I'm not a fan of mismatched gear either).

I think I have a Brian's Subzero glove sitting somewhere in our garage. How good are those?

Also did I quote enough people?

Thank you,

-T

The R1.9 is not a pro level glove, it will be lacking in protection at the Senior level as well.  I've had an Eflex 3 glove (Varlamov's) with a practice palm and have a a P2 glove with a pro palm.  I think the Pro palm is overkill and adding that level of protection to the palm makes the gloves incredibly difficult to close.  I had to relace the perimeter of the P2 just to make it useable for me.  Not to mention these things weigh a ton...the Eflex 3 almost 3 pounds and the P2 is 2 1/2.  The Warrior Pro would be a great glove in terms of protection and weight.

45 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

The R1.9 is not a pro level glove

I am aware. I may be in high school but I'm not retarded.

46 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I had to relace the perimeter of the P2 just to make it useable for me.  Not to mention these things weigh a ton...the Eflex 3 almost 3 pounds and the P2 is 2 1/2.

Interesting. I was just looking a P2 on sidelineswap but from what it sounds like I'll stay away from that. I've been thinking about getting rid of all things CCM from my gear for awhile now. What you have said has finally convinced me that CCM is not the best way to go for gloves. 

The search continues...

15 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I am aware. I may be in high school but I'm not retarded.

Interesting. I was just looking a P2 on sidelineswap but from what it sounds like I'll stay away from that. I've been thinking about getting rid of all things CCM from my gear for awhile now. What you have said has finally convinced me that CCM is not the best way to go for gloves. 

The search continues...

Wasn't implying you were retarded or that CCM gloves were somehow bad, in fact CCM gloves are pretty damn good.  Was simply making the point that all you need is a pro level glove, but a practice palm and even pro palm on the newer CCM gloves are kind of overkill and add a ton of weight...but now you've got me wondering.

@ThatCarGuy you might check out the CCM 3.9 in TCGSpec. It has the D30 upgrade in the palm. I have a set (INT sized) in Price Team Canada color way and find the protection quite adequate. I was little skeptical having only used Pro model gloves in the past but the only stinger I've had was a poor catch on my part - that would have resulted in a stinger in my Pro model glove too. 

46 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Wasn't implying you were retarded

I understand. I tend to overreact to things. Shots included.

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

You sure you're ready for varsity, son?

Already there and we're going to state.

16 minutes ago, lummy31 said:

@ThatCarGuy you might check out the CCM 3.9 in TCGSpec. It has the D30 upgrade in the palm. I have a set (INT sized) in Price Team Canada color way and find the protection quite adequate. I was little skeptical having only used Pro model gloves in the past but the only stinger I've had was a poor catch on my part - that would have resulted in a stinger in my Pro model glove too. 

Thank you. I'll look in to it.

I don’t know, I had a custom intermediate ccm premier and once I actually started facing faster shots, I was getting stingers left and right, but that’s just my experience. If you’re going for one on sideline swap, try to find out if it has a cracked cuff or not, that can make your stingers a lot worse. 

Archived