Passau Glove - Break in period

Chester

I must have some of the weakest freakin' hands in history.  Well, i can open a pickle jar when my wife asks me to, but i cant break in a glove for the life of me!

Ive had my glove for a month or so now.  Played three, 2 hour shinnys with it.  Its not broken in.  I can still barely close the thing.  

Yes, it has the Maltese gel mod, dont know if that affects the closure.  I did feel a good shot through it last time i played.  No bruise, but i felt it alright.  

The glove i had before this, and still have, is a Sub2.  Thing works like a charm.  I dont remember it taking soo long.  

However, that said, it seemed to take forever with some other gloves.  R12, Boddam refuze, Boddam Liberator.  

I did try the "hot water method" on the R12.  May have speeded up the process, but i never really liked the glove anyway. Sooo, take that with a grain of salt.

Also, threw me for a bit of a loop, that the Passau doesnt have pinkie or thumb loops.  And whats the rationale behind the wrist strap.  Its quite far back compared to the Sub2 and i get some chest/arm interference.  And i wear a Passau gen 1 chest.

Hey Chester.

My experience with their 60 degree glove has been very different. I am not sure if you have a 60 or something else. In any event, mine broke in where I could close it by the end of the first skate and it has been fine ever since. Not sure whether it matters but mine has a standard or stock palm. No glove I ever used before (GM 12, GM 21, & Vaughn T-1000) had a choice of palms so that was never a concern of mine. The absence of loops took a few skates to get used to but after a few, I like not having them. The channels for the thumb and fingers are snug enough and the Velcro straps do a great job of keeping the glove in place.

Mine has 2 Velcro straps on the top of the hand and a very wide one at the wrist. I clamp as tight as possible the ones over the hand but the one on the wrist, I leave just the end sitting in the clip; I don't pull it through the clip and I don't Velcro it down on itself. Again, this was something no glove I ever used before had so it is something I just don't need or worry about. My chest and arms is an old Heaton with a lot of mods added over the years but I hear you about the sleeves of the arms and the cuff of the gloves. When I bought my Passau blocker a few months ago, we spent a lot of time making sure one didn't butt into the other.

GoalieTimmy checks out the board here. I would PM him or even call the company if you're having a problem. I found their after sale service to be excellent. Here's hoping it works out like you want.

• 4 weeks later...
On May 2, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Chester said:

I must have some of the weakest freakin' hands in history.  Well, i can open a pickle jar when my wife asks me to, but i cant break in a glove for the life of me!

Ive had my glove for a month or so now.  Played three, 2 hour shinnys with it.  Its not broken in.  I can still barely close the thing.  

Yes, it has the Maltese gel mod, dont know if that affects the closure.  I did feel a good shot through it last time i played.  No bruise, but i felt it alright.  

The glove i had before this, and still have, is a Sub2.  Thing works like a charm.  I dont remember it taking soo long.  

However, that said, it seemed to take forever with some other gloves.  R12, Boddam refuze, Boddam Liberator.  

I did try the "hot water method" on the R12.  May have speeded up the process, but i never really liked the glove anyway. Sooo, take that with a grain of salt.

Also, threw me for a bit of a loop, that the Passau doesnt have pinkie or thumb loops.  And whats the rationale behind the wrist strap.  Its quite far back compared to the Sub2 and i get some chest/arm interference.  And i wear a Passau gen 1 chest.

Hey Chester - just now seeing this. Please contact me directly.  But short quick answer for you: Maltese forms to the shape it dries.  So if you dry your glove open, it will want to stay that way. I recommend all of our clients who get our Maltese palm use clamps after use to dry it closed. It will take to that shape. I personally have the Maltese palm and it's super floppy.

Re the rational behind the wrist strap - it's designed to allow for complete wrist flex but honestly the glove is designed to anchor to your hand, not your wrist.  I personally don't even use the wrist strap. It's there for goalies who prefer to have something there.

Hit me up at my info below.

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, Chester said:

Ironic.  Tim, i used a clamp on it after the last game. Just prior to your post.  

Ahhh, great minds.

Good to know.

I have another company's glove that was rebuilt from a practice palm to a pro palm plus Maltese. Its overkill for the level I play but I wanted to try it. Its been a slow break in. I did the keeps33 twice now. Will try clamping after the games as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived