Help for 8yo

kamy04

My son is a 2nd year Mite, 8yo.

He has been pretty regularly put in net for his Select (A/AA) team and has been asked to share goalie position in the spring.  It’s possible he may play some next year (but I would rather him not haha).

Anyways, we are looking at getting him some gear...cheap and used preferably lol.

I am struggling with pad size.  He fits pretty well in the shared gear (Bauer prodigy youth large, says it is 24”.  It’s the quick change stuff).  He definitely does not fit anything smaller.

He is tall!  4ft5, 65lbs (skinnyish).  He wears 1.5 skate in Bauer Vapors.  His Measurements are Ankle to Knee 12.5, knee to thigh 8, floor to knee 15.5 (if I did it right).

Any advice on good beginner pads?  Should we go with 24 inch?  I’m afraid 26 will be big, but he does grow fast.

Heck any gear advice is useful lol.

14 hours ago, kamy04 said:

My son is a 2nd year Mite, 8yo.

He has been pretty regularly put in net for his Select (A/AA) team and has been asked to share goalie position in the spring.  It’s possible he may play some next year (but I would rather him not haha).

Anyways, we are looking at getting him some gear...cheap and used preferably lol.

I am struggling with pad size.  He fits pretty well in the shared gear (Bauer prodigy youth large, says it is 24”.  It’s the quick change stuff).  He definitely does not fit anything smaller.

He is tall!  4ft5, 65lbs (skinnyish).  He wears 1.5 skate in Bauer Vapors.  His Measurements are Ankle to Knee 12.5, knee to thigh 8, floor to knee 15.5 (if I did it right).

Any advice on good beginner pads?  Should we go with 24 inch?  I’m afraid 26 will be big, but he does grow fast.

Heck any gear advice is useful lol.

Hey @kamy04 - I'm going through a similar dilemma with my 7-yr old. Watching him play in a tournament this weekend was the most stressful thing I've ever watched. They don't tell you that part, do they? About how hard it is to watch your kid play goalie... lol!

Like you, the club gear on loan also has 24" pads. I happened to be at a local PIAS yesterday, and looked at the pads with my kid a bit. For one thing, of the junior sizes available, it all was 28", so no dice there. It sucks, because the jump from Youth to Junior can add a few hundred dollars for brand new. That being said, if yours has the right size, I saw them priced at about $110-$200 CAD - and that included a really nice set of Warriors!

For the sizing, maybe 26", if it doesn't impede his natural movements? You really have to strap them on - preferably with skates - to see if they fit. The ATK is a helpful guideline, but only that - a guideline. The really tricky part, as far as I can tell, is fitting a pad to a kid that TBH, is probably making reactionary, instinct-based saves as much - or more- than anything anyone is trying to teach them at this age. The older, pre-butterfly pads that are more than 10 years old are wanting... and yet, a smaller version of a modern butterfly pad is overkill for a Novice, and might even impede them.

One thing you didn't ask about, but that I feel is unnecessary is getting a 7-8 year old a goalie mask. They are much heavier, and designed to withstand shots that they are not getting at this level, plain and simple. Even if some phenom kid is roofing it, they're not putting any bend into their stick when doing so, ergo the velocity is simply not there.  With the standard helmet/cage combo, your kid's able to move his head properly, it's lighter, and visibility is way better - especially important when the majority of play will be at his feet/on the ground. I watched a bunch of tiny goalies at the tourney this weekend with goalie masks, and the kids can't even move their frickin head to the side, or look down! Just seemed ridiculous to me - BUT, I may be wrong, and/or overlooking something, so other members: please feel free to correct me on this.

Archived