The Goalie Guru Grip Review

Punisher Goalie

I have not seen much, if anything, on this site regarding this product, so I thought I would throw up a quick review. I don’t have any affiliation with the company or the product, I just bought it on a whim after seeing trav4oilers use it and post about it.

Bottom Line Up Front: It’s a super-simple, well-executed product that may fundamentally change how you think about your stick grip.

The product itself is nothing more than a chunk of rubber cut or formed into a curved shape. It is meant to be glued to the paddle of your stick anywhere you desire to provide a leverage point for your index finger, similar to a trigger grip, but on top of the paddle (toward the shooter) as opposed to on the side/edge of the paddle. 

Installation: I have now installed the grip on two different sticks. The kit includes a small tube of ultra strong crazy glue. You just dry fit it with your blocker on, mark where you want to put it, then a couple drops of the crazy glue will secure it. As I am an inpatient moron, the first time I did it I glued my fingers together. Twenty minutes of my hand in a bowl of acetone and they separated. The glue is no joke.

Once dried, it the grip holds on very strong. Interesting note - on the second grip I installed, I noted that the surface appeared to have been “roughed” a bit, perhaps to make adhesion stronger. Did not notice that on the first one, but I could have just missed it. Either way, installation is super easy and both grips are holding ultra-strong. This may be an issue if you ever want to remove one, but I would think, like my fingers, acetone would do the trick.

Use: This thing is an instant eye-opener. It is a bit difficult to explain the feeling. With a regular paddle shape, your index finger points down with the pad of the finger facing back to the net. With the guru grip installed, you have the option (and can change this depending on the play situation) of placing your finger with the pad facing down to the ice, with the grip acting as a leverage point. This may sound really simple and trivial, but I found it to make a massive difference in my control of the stick. I feel much more connected and in command of the paddle. It also makes me feel like there is no play whatsoever in the paddle and there is more of a 1:1 ratio of what my hand is doing and what the stick is doing.

What I mean by this is if I held the stick up horizontally in the air and someone stood at the blade and tried to wiggle the stick out of my hands, I would be able to keep far more control of it with the Guru grip on.

Even if you are not actively placing your finger this way, the Guru grip provides a “backstop” for your finger, which is especially helpful on any sort of twisting motion with your hand to change the angle of the stick relative to the puck.

Performance & Durability: Zero shifting, glue is holding strong after about 10 games/pickup sessions. Grip hasn’t taken anything like a skate cut or direct shot with a puck.

Perhaps predictably, I am noticing the biggest impact on my game when making stick saves. I am far more confident directing pucks to the corners or specific areas than before. I’ve also felt in the past that shots to the stick could rattle it out of my hands - this is totally gone now. Lots of confidence to take even the hardest shots. I also feel like the leverage point helps me focus on leading with my hands and I have more confidence that I know where the stick blade is while I’m tracking the puck.  

That is important to note is that I’m using a 2S Pro, which is basically the lightest stick on the market. This may be why I’m noticing such a huge difference with vs. without. The concept should of course translate to a heavy stick too - the added leverage point may help even more, I just don’t have direct experience to be able to opine.

The only issue I have had is that I notice that the grip could catch on the index finger of the blocker glove when switching from “short” to “long” to stickhandle. After a few ice sessions, I have somewhat automatically altered my technique and I think I just release my index finger a little earlier in my motion, but now I have no problems. 

Also, I have not noticed any additional wear on my blocker palm/finger, which I was initially worried about.

I know the the pictures don’t show much. I tried to get one that shows how thick it is compared to the grip (i.e. how much material is there to rest your finger on).

Anyone looking for a custom grip without cutting (e.g. composite users) should consider giving this a shot. Even those who might otherwise cut their grip might find that an “additive” grip like this is different than a “subtractive” grip where material is cut away. I feel like it might be easy to try the concept out with a cut piece of plastic or wood taped to the stick of course.

Conclusion:

Pros:

- Easy install

- Super strong glue

- Lightweight

- Significant difference-maker in control/leverage on the stick

Cons:

- Super strong glue (may not be easy to remove)

- Super strong glue (can glue ones fingers together)

- May take an adjustment to your transition to stick-handling mode

2DBC43E1-1455-43C2-85D9-1CDC9C3A6F5D.thumb.jpeg.868085a3ed0b0c2a48196b11072bdf58.jpegEFF83DAD-514A-4271-9C65-C99F6FDE256F.thumb.jpeg.8215b1c5a3b37f17f88f1aa7c16b24de.jpeg

I see a solution to a problem that I am not quite able to wrap my "hand" around. It gives me better control of the stick, but my stick wasn't out of control before.

I could put thrust reversers on my car, but the brakes have been doing their job so far. Not to be a negative nelly, I just need more explanation. 

8 hours ago, LordOfTheCrease said:

Honestly, the only issue I've had with mine, is the adhesive not lasting nearly as long as i had hoped initially. More to come from my channel on that though.

How long before yours failed?

8 hours ago, aircanuck said:

I see a solution to a problem that I am not quite able to wrap my "hand" around. It gives me better control of the stick, but my stick wasn't out of control before.

I could put thrust reversers on my car, but the brakes have been doing their job so far. Not to be a negative nelly, I just need more explanation. 

It’s not going to be for everyone for sure. It is also one of those things that is difficult to explain in writing. 

It’s not so much that I had no control of my stick before - the added leverage point lets me control and move the stick with more efficiency, prescision, and less effort. 

If you’re intrigued by the idea, just do what @IPv6Freely did - you may not even need to buy the fabricated product. 

12 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

How long before yours failed?

It’s not going to be for everyone for sure. It is also one of those things that is difficult to explain in writing. 

It’s not so much that I had no control of my stick before - the added leverage point lets me control and move the stick with more efficiency, prescision, and less effort. 

If you’re intrigued by the idea, just do what @IPv6Freely did - you may not even need to buy the fabricated product. 

I'd say about 2-3 games initially. *Forgot to sand the 1S paddle down to material prior to placement, dummy move, I know*

After the cleanup, I did get it to last about a month using a piece of double-sided Gorilla Tape for placement followed by Krazy glue to "seal" it.

5 minutes ago, LordOfTheCrease said:

I'd say about 2-3 games initially. *Forgot to sand the 1S paddle down to material prior to placement, dummy move, I know*

After the cleanup, I did get it to last about a month using a piece of double-sided Gorilla Tape for placement followed by Krazy glue to "seal" it.

Oh wow, mine seems to be holding much stronger with no surface prep. My second one went on a brand new 2S Pro. 

I did make sure to press the grip into the paddle to ensure the crazy glue spread to all parts of the side that touches the paddle so I got good adhesion. So far so good on both. 

28 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Oh wow, mine seems to be holding much stronger with no surface prep. My second one went on a brand new 2S Pro. 

I did make sure to press the grip into the paddle to ensure the crazy glue spread to all parts of the side that touches the paddle so I got good adhesion. So far so good on both. 

I'm honestly glad that I am in the minority in this aspect. 😓

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the thing, especially for guys like me that happen to have lost some dexterity in my paddle hand. I am willing to  put up with putting it back on after it comes off. 

Very interesting.  I may have to try this with tape first and see how it feels.    One thing I used to do, but haven't' really felt the need for since switching to composite, is placing a lump of tape on top of the shaft of my stick towards the top of my blocker hand.  It provided more leverage and made my stick feel lighter.    Come to think of it, I may try that again to help battle the tendonitis I'm fighting.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived