Pacific Rink Goalie Bag

Westcoast Tender

I was able to snag one of these first run goalie bags from Pacific Rink.  They produced a limited amount to have some of us tested them out and give feedback before going full run with them.  

Background:  my preference is a carry bag.  I have owned a wheeled bag but found it more of a nuisance and heavy if you get one with a good frame in it to lift in/out of the car.  I carry my pads separate over the shoulder.  I did purchase the Passau goalie backpack but didn’t find it worked for me.  All my equipment plus pads made the bag too heavy for my 5’4” frame.  I always felt like I was going to throw my back out.  Removing the pads from the bag made the bag too empty and it didn’t carry properly.  Ideally, I wanted a backpack bag but smaller than what Passau offers but still bigger than Player backpacks...so I could get through doors more easily but still carry my pads separately.

I’ve used the Pacific Rink bag several times and so far it is exactly what I was looking for.

These first 3 pictures show it fully loaded up.  It has an outer pocket on one side and one small pocket on one end.  The top centre zipper is actually a third external pocket that you can actually access from the inside through an internal zipper.  I keep my jerseys in it.

Picture 4 shows the carrying straps.  I have them clipped together in the “backpack” config.  If you leave them unclipped, the bag can be used as a regular over one shoulder carry bag.

I will show the internals on a second post.

92F7ED17-EA8D-4E5C-98AD-7F2CE867D347.jpeg

A8D905E7-623A-46FF-B676-FA14FC552EBF.jpeg

5F6A3150-0CCB-4CC3-B642-11E88A4D6504.jpeg

ABCEC35F-8A92-49D8-9B9F-BB573210019F.jpeg

The internals...

First thing to note, is this bag has a U-shape opening....In my opinion all bags should open this way...so nice.

So with the equipment out, you will see there’s a lot going on inside. If you like organization, you’ll like this.  There is a centre divider that I actually do use.  I can fit my chest protector (Brown 2400...so one of the bulkier units out there) and pants on one side, keeping mask, glove, blocker, knees pads,...on the other.  The divider can be made to lie flat, if you prefer a more open bag (pic 3).  

There are skate pockets (removable if you don’t want them), with a water bottle holder built into both. At one end there’s a garment bag, also removable and washable if you want to throw the whole thing in the washing machine.  Other end has two zippered pockets.  The larger lower one has some built in dividers if you really want to keep organized.

All my equipment is senior size, but pants and chestie are senior small, just to give reference too the bulk of my stuff.  I do have a generous amount of extra room if for some reason I wanted to carry extra stuff around.

84FDE936-7A81-4F10-8E53-C8A23DC7D8AB.jpeg

686159B6-5AE3-44B9-9C17-8A98E830C3CC.jpeg

8052FEED-1125-49CF-839B-F2109D7F399B.jpeg

27900A44-B8CC-497A-B282-77A4061DDBBC.jpeg

303E85F4-DA25-4520-BC33-64EF65B75D15.jpeg

3A21032A-0B37-4BBE-A969-1C75FB05BCCB.jpeg

A2C00020-FB8B-4BA9-844A-8FC333DD437C.jpeg

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

I like. Is the stitching doubled on the shoulder straps where it anchors?

It is double stitched right where it anchors and then the edge of the red strap is stitched all the way around to the other side (seems like seat belt type material). I have seen straps attached with more reinforced stitching then this...will have to wait and see how durable the stitching is. 

0A6D3140-B471-4502-8F7F-C0DE857D289D.jpeg

20 minutes ago, MTH said:

Looks like a nice bag. How much? I'm cheap/poor

(poor makes you cheap, right?)

I’m not sure what their price will be. Their website still shows the prototype pricing. Full retail pricing will likely be around $200US since that’s where their player bag is priced. 

The two shoulder straps do come and are held together with the padded flap with snaps, for over the shoulder carrying. 

For the prototype, they did offer two strapping options, the one I got and the one that’s on their current player’s bag which is a top set of shoulder straps and hidden backpack straps underneath the bag. Their website has some videos that demonstrates this.  

https://www.pacificrink.com/collections/bags/products/player-bag?variant=23544651782

I was all over the site after reading your review. Well done.

Saw too that the testers can also buy a production bag for $100 when they come out. Don't pass on it, I'm sure someone will buy it off you if you don't want either one of the bags.

I wish I got in with this. My friend was telling me he had opportunity with the Sparx sharpener in the day to get in early at 1/3 the cost for one. Kicking himself still for passing up.

16 hours ago, Westcoast Tender said:

The internals...

First thing to note, is this bag has a U-shape opening....In my opinion all bags should open this way...so nice.

So with the equipment out, you will see there’s a lot going on inside. If you like organization, you’ll like this.  There is a centre divider that I actually do use.  I can fit my chest protector (Brown 2400...so one of the bulkier units out there) and pants on one side, keeping mask, glove, blocker, knees pads,...on the other.  The divider can be made to lie flat, if you prefer a more open bag (pic 3).  

There are skate pockets (removable if you don’t want them), with a water bottle holder built into both. At one end there’s a garment bag, also removable and washable if you want to throw the whole thing in the washing machine.  Other end has two zippered pockets.  The larger lower one has some built in dividers if you really want to keep organized.

All my equipment is senior size, but pants and chestie are senior small, just to give reference too the bulk of my stuff.  I do have a generous amount of extra room if for some reason I wanted to carry extra stuff around.

84FDE936-7A81-4F10-8E53-C8A23DC7D8AB.jpeg

686159B6-5AE3-44B9-9C17-8A98E830C3CC.jpeg

8052FEED-1125-49CF-839B-F2109D7F399B.jpeg

27900A44-B8CC-497A-B282-77A4061DDBBC.jpeg

303E85F4-DA25-4520-BC33-64EF65B75D15.jpeg

3A21032A-0B37-4BBE-A969-1C75FB05BCCB.jpeg

A2C00020-FB8B-4BA9-844A-8FC333DD437C.jpeg

not related to the bag, but is that Halaks genetik 3 glove?

51 minutes ago, Max27 said:

not related to the bag, but is that Halaks genetik 3 glove?

It is a Halak pro return but it says it’s a Subzero 3. Feels like the same break as my stock Subzero 3. Has a few differences though with the shape of the cuff and how the back of it Velcro’s. ..now you’ve made me wonder. Perhaps it’s a hybrid. 

27 minutes ago, Westcoast Tender said:

It is a Halak pro return but it says it’s a Subzero 3. Feels like the same break as my stock Subzero 3. Has a few differences though with the shape of the cuff and how the back of it Velcro’s. ..now you’ve made me wonder. Perhaps it’s a hybrid. 

ah nice. I remember his pads that had that graphic that your glove has were gnetik 3s so i assumed the whole set was gnetik 3s, could be a hybrid though

Do you have the whole set?

1 hour ago, Westcoast Tender said:

Nope, just the glove. That’s all the seller had. Pads would be too big anyway. 

ah cool

i wish i couldve gotten some stuff when he was an islander that i could use,  i have one of his old sticks but it is snapped on the paddle so i cant use it.

• 1 month later...

It definitely seems well put together. I definitely like it for the price a I paid. I wanted a backpack goalie bag and the only other one I’m aware of is the Passau one (which is likely a similar price point to what this one will be...my guess).  I like it better than Passau’s. The U opening is much more desirable. The size I like better. It appears to be durable material but not as physically heavy as Passau’s material. I like all the pockets inside. I haven’t been asked to give feedback yet to Pacific Rink. There are a few minor things I would suggest.  Would I pay full price for one, I might, $200 for a goalie bag seems a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of everything else ($600 glove, $400 blocker, $600 Chest protector, $1000 paint job on my helmet....list goes on & on).

Archived