work outs

GoalieInTheDesertYT

Google Maria Mountain.  You're welcome.

Or, squat.  Deadlift.  trap bar deadlifts.  step ups.  bulgarian split squats for unilateral work.  

Front squats.  Starting to see a pattern?  The only machine I use is a leg extension for some hypertrophy for my quads both because I like big quads (and I cannot lie) and because I've had repeat knee injuries and find building lots of muscle to be the most protective thing I can do.

it doesnt work like that.  its like wanting to hit hard in karate.  go watch karate kid the originals from the 80s.

the answer is beach body on demand , depending on where u are : p90x and insanity series.j  thats all u need. the bes thing is the price $100 a year.

of you u probably spend $100 on a color stick that doesn't imporve ur game instead.

lets hear its not made for goalie - secret its all the same drills its the timing and rest and speed that matters.

Maria Mountain has a program called Beer League MVP.  I highly recommend it.  It's not just legs, it's a whole goalie specific training program.  

If you want to get strong generally, you just need basic progressive overload.  If you aren't an experienced lifter, get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.  The big compound lifts are pretty much all you need, but throw in some unilateral work since we are frequently using our legs unilaterally.  

Maria's program is free and Starting Strength is not expensive.  You can find used copies for 10 bucks.

2 hours ago, Goalieinneed said:

im looking for a goalie specific leg work out can anyone help me with that?

I like to do heavy squats for general strength purposes, but when I want to throw in more goalie specific stuff I will do single leg squats and lateral lunges with dumbbells(helps strengthen the groin muscles which are often ignored).  Also, I'll do step ups on a bench with dumbbells and do lunges on a Bosu ball.  The Bosu ball is great for those stabilizer muscles in and around the ankles.  If you've ever sprained an ankle, you'll know right away how beneficial this can be for you.

But squats are king and won't just strengthen your legs, your whole body gets stronger when you squat heavy.  However if you've never done it before try and get a trainer or experienced lifter to show you how so you don't injure yourself.

Please dont squat heavy without proper form. I do CrossFit(i know, i know) but its all the rage in my profession and it worked for me. The number one injury i see is squats and deadlifts with improper form and heavy weight. Core strength is number one, goalie or not, and never neglect ROM training and flexibility.

11 hours ago, FFMedicGoalie said:

Please dont squat heavy without proper form. I do CrossFit(i know, i know) but its all the rage in my profession and it worked for me. The number one injury i see is squats and deadlifts with improper form and heavy weight. Core strength is number one, goalie or not, and never neglect ROM training and flexibility.

this plus 100.  I love dem squats, but I had a trainer work with me on form.  

On 1/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, Goalieinneed said:

im looking for a goalie specific leg work out can anyone help me with that?

This my circuit...

10 min cardio warm up

Jump Rope - 3 X 1 min set w/ 45 seconds between

Lunge Walks w/weight - 3 x 15 min set w/ 45 seconds between

Box Jump - 3 x 15 min set w/ 45 seconds between

Single Leg dead lift w/weight - 3 X 10 per leg set w/ 45 seconds between

Push Ups - 3 X 10 set (don't laugh) w/ 45 seconds between

Super Set:

Sit up medicine ball throw 3 X 20 + Heel touches 3 x 20 each side w/ 45 seconds between

10 min stretch

That's almost exactly 1 hr and burns around 550-600 calories depending on intensity

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not a leg workout but I have found this arm workout super effective in the beer leagues:

12oz curls: 8-10 reps with 30 second downtimes for a new "weight"

Jeez 8-10 reps! Might want to try powerlifting those. I'd suggest 1-3 reps. Wouldn't want to tire yourself out before the game...

On 1/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, stackem30 said:

Yoga.

True that! 

I've been dedicated to my own yoga practice at home and in a studio 3-4 times a week now for about a year and a bit and I've can notice the difference in my game since adding yoga to it. I feel more stable with my movements, my legs have more stamina, plus the flexibility/range of motion improvements help of course. Plus after a more physically tough game or a heavy weekend of simultaneous playing, I feel yoga "repairs" my body while keeping it active and moving. 

I do a studio class mix of Relaxation or "flex" yoga, along with a Vinyasa Hot Yoga flow, plus additional YouTube yoga videos at home on my mat every week.  

Yoga is fantastic. Whenever my body can't handle being a goalie anymore, yoga will be something I continue to do until I die. No joke. It's that good! If you have any doubts about doing yoga, just erase all that and start. It's a game changer. 

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

True that! 

I've been dedicated to my own yoga practice at home and in a studio 3-4 times a week now for about a year and a bit and I've can notice the difference in my game since adding yoga to it. I feel more stable with my movements, my legs have more stamina, plus the flexibility/range of motion improvements help of course. Plus after a more physically tough game or a heavy weekend of simultaneous playing, I feel yoga "repairs" my body while keeping it active and moving. 

I do a studio class mix of Relaxation or "flex" yoga, along with a Vinyasa Hot Yoga flow, plus additional YouTube yoga videos at home on my mat every week.  

Yoga is fantastic. Whenever my body can't handle being a goalie anymore, yoga will be something I continue to do until I die. No joke. It's that good! If you have any doubts about doing yoga, just erase all that and start. It's a game changer. 

Amen to all of that — it's the best. Stability is a huge part of the strength component I get from yoga. If that sounds vague to anyone, do you know when you go skiing/snowboarding/surfing, and your legs are sore in all those funny little muscles you didn't even know you have? It's all those balancing and stabilizing muscles. You get the same thing from an intense Vinyasa flow session (and agreed, hot yoga Vinyasa flow is my favorite). 

Nothing wrong with squats and weights, but that's just one type of leg strength. I feel like the 'stability' strength is more relevant to goaltending — it combines strength, balance, and movement, all while maintaining a specific form. 

I'll second Maria Mountain. She has a ton of material available on YouTube, as well as designed routines. I've added her strategic mobility program to my workouts (also designed by her), and it's done wonders for my hips and core stability. If you want or need more, she offers more personalized programs as well. I'd recommend her to anyone.

14 hours ago, DL42 said:

the answer all u guys are looking for is "beachbody on demand" - insanity and p90x series..

all these random bits and piece of information is not going to be helping anybody without any real program.

so I deleted my comments before.  But beachbody on demand is not the answer.  That's great if you want to lose weight but that stuff is cardio disguised as weight training.  You want to get stronger, it's progressive overload not "muscle confusion."  

A real program is one like Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe which was mentioned above, or Maria Mountain's programs.  

On 1/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, TheGoalNet said:

This my circuit...

Lunge Walks w/weight - 3 x 15 min set w/ 45 seconds between

Box Jump - 3 x 15 min set w/ 45 seconds between

Does 3 x 15 min mean 3 sets, 5 mins continuous reps with 45 second rest between sets? So 15 mins of lunge walks and box jumps each?

8 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

so I deleted my comments before.  But beachbody on demand is not the answer.  That's great if you want to lose weight but that stuff is cardio disguised as weight training.  You want to get stronger, it's progressive overload not "muscle confusion."  

A real program is one like Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe which was mentioned above, or Maria Mountain's programs.  

YOu are completely wrong if you think all the stuff is cardio,  they have more then one type of program,

i'. not going to bother explaining what u think u know but u are wrong.

only one program is based on "muscle confusion" and that is p90x the original program.

The information and material is better them maria mountain's programs b/c its not just bits and pieces, its built to maximize time and growth.

It has yoga built inj all the programs and the bfly 3.0 program, that just stretch u do before ur workout, its nothing special, u r suppose to roll it out.

Hip and flexibility and range of motion is also built into the program.

at the end of the day u just follow the program , u don't need to know the science unless u want a degree in kinesiology.

46 minutes ago, DL42 said:

YOu are completely wrong if you think all the stuff is cardio,  they have more then one type of program,

i'. not going to bother explaining what u think u know but u are wrong.

only one program is based on "muscle confusion" and that is p90x the original program.

The information and material is better them maria mountain's programs b/c its not just bits and pieces, its built to maximize time and growth.

It has yoga built inj all the programs and the bfly 3.0 program, that just stretch u do before ur workout, its nothing special, u r suppose to roll it out.

Hip and flexibility and range of motion is also built into the program.

at the end of the day u just follow the program , u don't need to know the science unless u want a degree in kinesiology.

Sooooo how long have you been working for P90X? 😜

There are lots of ways I could respond to what you've posted in this thread, but the most concise (and truest) way to put it is this: strength, mobility, flexibility, and general fitness can be achieved in a million different ways, and to think that there is one, superior way to do this is absolute nonsense. You are getting played hard if someone has convinced you that the only/best way to get stronger, faster, leaner, or any other adjective is to buy into some packaged-and-branded system (especially one with "Beach Body" in the name... sheesh).

i don't work for Beachbody.

i didnt' say its the only way but it is the most bang for your buck bc it has several programs not just 1 or 2.

It has everything u are looking for u just have to look.

You know what go and continue with all the random bits and pieces on Youtube and put it together and see how far you get.

Oh and Bandit goalie school and Future pro goalie school both have show p90x at the school.

Archived