Dropout's 2017 Season

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the 4 July game now:

Did you get a piece of the shot at ~ 1:47? If so nice reaction

Nice holding your ground on the breakaway at 2:56.

They opposition scored most of their goals because they were able to get into the high percentage zone and take the shot while unaccosted.

Re July 9: Look at you with the glove @ 1:03! I cant believe the number of long range wrist shot. Very smart of them because they are hard to handle on the rebounds. Great job by you managing them. I don't care about the L. You played great. Best you've looked since you know what. Extremely well done Gary!

Andre and Matt, you fellas need to check the Man out in this film. Just awesome.

4 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Did you get a piece of the shot at ~ 1:47? If so nice reaction

They opposition scored most of their goals because they were able to get into the high percentage zone and take the shot while unaccosted.

yes, got just a smidge of it.  Enough for it to not go in. :)

Totally agree on the second comment.  The worst part is, they allow those great chances RIGHT after scoring ourselves.  Frustrating.  But now I'm coming to expect it a little bit so I can mentally prepare after we score (the rare times it happens!).

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

Re July 9: Look at you with the glove @ 1:03! I cant believe the number of long range wrist shot. Very smart of them because they are hard to handle on the rebounds. Great job by you managing them. I don't care about the L. You played great. Best you've looked since you know what. Extremely well done Gary!

Andre and Matt, you fellas need to check the Man out in this film. Just awesome.

Thanks Joe.  I wish my old team could see my play now.  With their decent defense and some goal support, we could win a lot of games.  Oh well, sometimes life gets in the way!

I don't care much about the losses either, I knew going in that would be the norm this summer.  What was disappointing was we had beaten them the last time we played, and we were 3 points ahead in the standings.  A very lackluster performance by the team and we get pounded.  Just wish they would pursue the puck like the other teams in our division do.

• 3 weeks later...

First playoff game, July 20.  Not sure what happened to the group I was playing with, but a big turnaround.   Only problem (as has been all year), couldn't score.

Unfortunately, this is where my second hard drive decided to start dying.  So, I didn't record the other two playoff games, which we lost 4-3 and 3-2 (in a shootout, which I stopped 2/3 and the one that went in went off my left arm then off the crossbar and in).  One last game tonight, will have video of that one!

I registered for the over 40 league I spared in last winter, so excited to get that underway.  Teams are drafted mid-August and I believe we start in September......

And the final game of the season.  Thankfully.  Meaningless game at 11 pm on a Wednesday night = not my best effort.  We had 7 skaters......guys played well, even had some good chances but their goalie was huge and quite mobile.  Good tender and I was not up to matching the intensity.  Enjoy, will be the last one for a bit until the new season kicks off.

Dropout:

LOL - you're a younger man than I - I was grousing the other day because my 9:00 pm start was delayed to 9:30...

I’ll give your team a bit of the benefit of the doubt in that they were low on players, but they sure left you hung out on at least three of the goals. I especially like the brutal giveaway at 3:37 that turned into a 2:0

My only comment on your play, especially in the case where you are getting gassed due to the low numbers on your side: at 4:58 the puck is going cleanly wide. I wouldn’t bother trying for it – I appreciate you were probably trying to control it, but that just causes you excess energy and puts you out of the play on the inevitable rebound.

You stated you’ll be involved in a draft for the upcoming season. I’ll be interested to hear your comments on the process and your resulting team members

Good luck!

On 8/16/2017 at 11:17 AM, Ghostender said:

Dropout:

LOL - you're a younger man than I - I was grousing the other day because my 9:00 pm start was delayed to 9:30...

I’ll give your team a bit of the benefit of the doubt in that they were low on players, but they sure left you hung out on at least three of the goals. I especially like the brutal giveaway at 3:37 that turned into a 2:0

My only comment on your play, especially in the case where you are getting gassed due to the low numbers on your side: at 4:58 the puck is going cleanly wide. I wouldn’t bother trying for it – I appreciate you were probably trying to control it, but that just causes you excess energy and puts you out of the play on the inevitable rebound.

You stated you’ll be involved in a draft for the upcoming season. I’ll be interested to hear your comments on the process and your resulting team members

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise.  I do "overplay" shots going wide at times.  I will have to be cognizant of that in the future.

I'm not really involved in the draft process.  Everyone registers, and the team captains draft the teams.  It's a fairly long standing league, and many of the guys all know each other.  Some go out to the sponsoring bar after the games and chirp each other (in good fun of course).  I spared in this league last winter, and went 5-1-1 with 1 SO, and played for 5 different teams.  The guys are pretty casual for the most part with the odd overzealous player.  I am excited to get going!

15 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

.. I spared in this league last winter, and went 5-1-1 with 1 SO, and played for 5 different teams.  ...

WTH?!?!? Did you mention this before?? You need a PR person to make sure the good stuff gets out - kudos, props et al!

• 3 weeks later...

Man 11 is a rough start time and only 7 guys, that is rough. Personally I am a worthless goalie after midnight, haha. All around a tough situation only 7 guys so you know they are bagged after 10-15 minutes and it is up to you to keep it close. I thought you hung in there and made many solid saves. Tough call on that one goal where it looked like you had it and the guys pokes you and it comes free and into the net. Seemed like a slow whistle to me. 

6 hours ago, Imperative said:

Man 11 is a rough start time and only 7 guys, that is rough. Personally I am a worthless goalie after midnight, haha. All around a tough situation only 7 guys so you know they are bagged after 10-15 minutes and it is up to you to keep it close. I thought you hung in there and made many solid saves. Tough call on that one goal where it looked like you had it and the guys pokes you and it comes free and into the net. Seemed like a slow whistle to me. 

Yeah, my guys after the game all said the same thing.  It happens.  Not like it was the championship game. :)

So, with the summer season mercifully over, my winter season with the "over 40" league began Sunday night.  Nice early time too - 6 pm!  No games start later then 9 pm either.  Sweet......

So I got drafted by the Wings, and barring any trades to even up the teams, this is my crew for the year.  We started off against the Jets (who won it all last season, but don't have much carry over as far as I can tell), and I did a number of things wrong in this game.  Too deep and bad rebound control come to mind.  Not too bad of a group though, I think after we've had a chance to play together a bit we might do pretty well.  My D seems fairly strong for the most part, they do "mostly" the right things (except covering the 2 open guys in the slot - you'll see it).  

Not a bad result considering my performance.  Doubt we'll be lucky enough to pot 7 every game, so I have some work ahead.  I'm excited to play this winter, so that should motivate me to get off my fat @$$ and do some workouts again.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a little behind already.  Was sick last week and off a couple days from work.  Skipped my Friday night skate but was well enough for the game Sunday.  It was a pretty awful effort on multiple levels, not just me.  From my own team scoring on me, to trying to score on me, it was just not good.  We had plenty of zone time, but few quality scoring chances.  The result is quite predictable.

Archived