Please help with Optik chest protector

Jonathon v

Hey guys I need help. I am 14, and not too tall a goalie. I am extremely mobile and use my agility as my way of playing best. I was using a warrior chest protector as an intermediate medium size since I was 10 years old. 4 years. I had so much movement but recently I’ve been feeling more shots. I ordered a brains Optik senior chest protector medium arms and medium body. I’m 5 foot 7 ish maybe 5 foot 8 and I’m 140 pounds. I got my chesty today, had the main goalie guy at my local jerrys adjust it, he made the arms as far back as possible, made the chest as small as possible, he put the detachable bib almost all the way down to where you can see like Half the Brian’s logo. So it is basically as small as possible. I had him put the shoulder floaters as high as possible, so it looked as big as possible. I looked SO MUCH BIGGER than I used to with my old chesty. I am much more squared. I knew it would be stiff and hard to move for a while, but I didn’t care. I had a practice an hour later that I felt so big and so confident. I got on the ice and I couldn’t move at all. It is heavier than my old one and it’s new so that’s what I thought is the problem. It still might be but I’m not sure yet. I had absolutely no head movement and that’s my biggest concern. I couldn’t track the puck at all. I thought it was because the floaters were as high as possible. So I had a rat hockey I went to an hour ago and I made the shoulder floaters as small as possible. I made them go as small as possible so I could move my head more. On the ice I still couldn’t track the puck at all. My head couldn’t move at all and I know it’s new but I can’t move my head at all. I wear y suspenders under my chesty and I don’t plan to change that because it seems like it would be weird. Will I be able to move my head soon, or is the chest protector too big on me? What can I do to break it in? It would be great if you guys could answer my questions because at this rate I had no mobility and people with decent dangling would go right around me and I know with my old chesty I would stop it. Also Idk if it is because it’s new so I can’t move well or what but I didn’t even notice many shots hit my chest or shoulder that my old one wouldn’t have saved. Also this part I’m mostly sure is because it’s new and stuff, but I can still feel some shots a little. PLEASE HELP

Post a picture of how you have the Velcro set up on the shoulders. The settings are counter-intuitive - if you have them set all the way to the “smallest” setting, it will have the should floaters sitting at high as possible on your chest. The top strap is the one that controls how high the floaters “float”. Hard to explain but you basically need to try all possible combinations until you find the setting that works best. 

ETA: just saw you said you are 14 - get your parents permission before you do anything. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Post a picture of how you have the Velcro set up on the shoulders. The settings are counter-intuitive - if you have them set all the way to the “smallest” setting, it will have the should floaters sitting at high as possible on your chest. The top strap is the one that controls how high the floaters “float”. Hard to explain but you basically need to try all possible combinations until you find the setting that works best. 

ETA: just saw you said you are 14 - get your parents permission before you do anything. 

I messed around with the top straps, the way they are I have the whole top straps pulled as far down as possible, and same with the floaters, I tried to loosen it and it didn’t seem to help. I’ll try suspenders on the chesty today and  hopefully I’ll get used to it 

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Patience 

I think you should wear this around the house when you’re home and give it 5-6 skates before you panic. Some things are not instant 

Hey do you think if I wear suspenders over the chesty it will help? I don’t have those extra straps like yours so would they fall of the chesty ?

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

Hey do you think if I wear suspenders over the chesty it will help? I don’t have those extra straps like yours so would they fall of the chesty ?

Suspenders could help, you need to experiment with different things and see what works. Clear tape works just fine if you don't have the straps.

I'm your height and about 20 pounds heavier, and I wear an Adult Small C/A, which fits me perfectly. I also wear it untucked and over suspenders. Are your elbows lining up with the elbow caps in the arms? Are your pants pushing the C/A up from the bottom - if it's too long, it could explain why your shoulder floaters are interfering with your head, despite them being cranked down. I would also try to move the shoulder attachment tabs outwards, instead of just down, which should free up some room near your mask.

Just a follow up, my coach is helping me break it in, the elbows take a little effort to get into the elbow cap, but that is just because it’s new and my old one was much smaller, I have suspenders over the floaters pushing them down, and I’m tying the chest protector with some skate lace, so it stays tighter to my body while I break it in. 3rd practice in it felt much better. Thanks guys 

5 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Just a follow up, my coach is helping me break it in, the elbows take a little effort to get into the elbow cap, but that is just because it’s new and my old one was much smaller, I have suspenders over the floaters pushing them down, and I’m tying the chest protector with some skate lace, so it stays tighter to my body while I break it in. 3rd practice in it felt much better. Thanks guys 

if its an issue of the way its sitting, try and loosen the backplates connection to the shoulder it will let the c&a ride lower on your body. I had an issue with my G4 sitting too high and I loosened it how i described it and it fit much better. It will expose your neck a little more but thats the trade off. You can always just wear a bib to cover that area, or since you have the optik just make the neck bib piece it comes with just fit higher while the unit sits lower. 

Archived