2S Skate Cut Repair

Mroy31

Got a skate cut that is both a long cleaner cut and a few smaller ones like the blade chattered across the pad (both together, probably from the same incident, just a guy crashing in on a rush, only found it the other day so might have been a while ago).  Planning on tackling this repair tonight/this week, looking for any advice for how to pull it off and make it look as good as possible. 

I've got some automotive goop to use, but mostly curious on if anyone has done this and how best to finish it?  Do I just keep the goop inside the cut and let it bond that way, or do I spread some of it along the top of the cut as well with some kind of edge to smooth it out?  I've seen shoe goo suggested, which is from the same company it looks like, and this stuff is also for like vinyl seat tears so I think it should be good for this too. 

(will post pics of the damage at least tonight)

• 2 weeks later...

Went with the auto goop, I don't think it was overkill after all, but I'm sure that loctite gel glue or shoe goo would do as good of a job. 

Ideally I would have cleaned the puck marks off of the area to give the goop a proper clean surface to bind to, but this cortech is a bitch to clean puck marks off of and I didn't want to risk cleaning solutions getting inside to the foams. 

Got a good amount in the main long cut, some under the triangular cut and then a smooth layer over everything. 36 hours later I was slightly concerned that it was going to be a tacky finish that could be rubbed away, but we're about 3 days out now and it's actually dried out pretty nicely. 

Included a pic where I outlined all the little bastards I had to deal with. Only the main long one actually broke through the skin. 

Before

20190126_113356.thumb.jpg.f327e022679d1161e35e0735a5da7daf.jpg

20190129_221138.thumb.jpg.1da221c4124bd6120f1c0e78702becbd.jpg

After

20190129_220613.thumb.jpg.9ab439e789a9b4f2d277189cb04dafff.jpg20190129_220620.thumb.jpg.63f079e0f2ffba531007427a5d762a27.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well, wasn't a super serious cut, hopefully won't have to get any better at doing this in the future

Edited by Mroy31
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, Mroy31 said:

Went with the auto goop, I don't think it was overkill after all, but I'm sure that loctite gel glue or shoe goo would do as good of a job. 

Ideally I would have cleaned the puck marks off of the area to give the goop a proper clean surface to bind to, but this cortech is a bitch to clean puck marks off of and I didn't want to risk cleaning solutions getting inside to the foams. 

Got a good amount in the main long cut, some under the triangular cut and then a smooth layer over everything. 36 hours later I was slightly concerned that it was going to be a tacky finish that could be rubbed away, but we're about 3 days out now and it's actually dried out pretty nicely. 

Included a pic where I outlined all the little bastards I had to deal with. Only the main long one actually broke through the skin. 

Before

20190126_113356.thumb.jpg.f327e022679d1161e35e0735a5da7daf.jpg

20190129_221138.thumb.jpg.1da221c4124bd6120f1c0e78702becbd.jpg

After

20190129_220613.thumb.jpg.9ab439e789a9b4f2d277189cb04dafff.jpg20190129_220620.thumb.jpg.63f079e0f2ffba531007427a5d762a27.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well, wasn't a super serious cut, hopefully won't have to get any better at doing this in the future

How'd this end up holding up over time? I got a 3 inch gash on my 2x pros the other night because some goof can't skate and blew a tire on a breakaway and took me out.

2 hours ago, Jensen30 said:

How'd this end up holding up over time? I got a 3 inch gash on my 2x pros the other night because some goof can't skate and blew a tire on a breakaway and took me out.

It's kind of hard to judge, not sure if I didn't let it set fully or properly or what. From the directions I read for things like vinyl seat repair, it seemed like it would set pretty firmly. It definitely held the gash shut, but if I ran my finger against the layer on top I could kind of roll/peel it away as it felt kind of soft. On the other hand, playing hockey didn't seem to cause any wear to it, so I just stopped touching it and never really thought of it again. 

So I think it is the right tool for the job, it just may require some practice or expert advice. Could also be that the cortech skin just doesn't let the goop adhere the same as vinyl?