Padskinz or Pad Wrap on Bauer 1X's

jhmerriman

I picked up some used all white Bauer 1X's on SidelineSwap the other day, and am hoping to spice them up a bit using Padskinz or Pad Wrap (haven't picked which one). I've done some research on tips/techniques for applying the skin to pads, and it looks like the general rule of thumb that you should apply the wrap along a stitched seam for a secured seal.

Since 1X's don't have any stitching, I was wondering if anyone has had experience applying a skin/wrap to them, and if so if there are any tips.

Also, I know that Mike McKenna used a wrap on his 2S's for about a week after he was traded to the Flyers to cover up his Ottawa colors, so I know a wrap can work for a short-term, but am curios to see if anyone has had any longer term success or failure using a skin on Bauer 1X's (or 1S/2S's).

Any feedback or advice is appreciated!

36 minutes ago, jhmerriman said:

I picked up some used all white Bauer 1X's on SidelineSwap the other day, and am hoping to spice them up a bit using Padskinz or Pad Wrap (haven't picked which one). I've done some research on tips/techniques for applying the skin to pads, and it looks like the general rule of thumb that you should apply the wrap along a stitched seam for a secured seal.

Since 1X's don't have any stitching, I was wondering if anyone has had experience applying a skin/wrap to them, and if so if there are any tips.

Also, I know that Mike McKenna used a wrap on his 2S's for about a week after he was traded to the Flyers to cover up his Ottawa colors, so I know a wrap can work for a short-term, but am curios to see if anyone has had any longer term success or failure using a skin on Bauer 1X's (or 1S/2S's).

Any feedback or advice is appreciated!

I would not try and wrap anything over the corners / edges of the pad. If you keep Pad Skinz on the face, you should be in good shape. The flatness of the pads makes then good candidates for projects.

The only other thought is to avoid putting large flat areas over the ridges. That will not work well.

I can’t speak to the application on the 1X but I can vouch for the long term durability.  We used the pad wrap to add color to 2 different sets of my son’s pads.  Took a while to trace and cut the material to the existing graphic but once in place it looked great and was very durable.  We used it on blocker, glove, and pads.  TGN is right on about using it on the flat surfaces only.  Pad rolls were a pain to cut and fit and the material would peel back.  Had to use crazy glue to get it to stick on the pad rolls.  Maybe someone with sewing skills would know how to trim the material for the corners better than me.  We went right over lacing on the fronts of the pads with no issues. The material lasted, stuck, and looked great for a full season, probably 4 to 6 hours a week for 6 months. The only downside was the removal after the season.  The material peeled off fine but the glue residue was tough to remove.

• 2 weeks later...

I covered the X on my 1X with pad wrap.

On the leg pads, don't wrap on the landing surfaces. Give yourself breathing room on the inner edges. They are peeling up over the top, but for the most part they've stayed in place.

On the blocker, the binding has kept the wrap from peeling up at all.

On the glove, I only covered the part of the X that's on the cuff. It's coming up on both sides, but not by much.

The hardest part was not having stitching to trace, so they don't match up to the printed graphics perfectly. But take your time and you should be fine.

Archived