Intermediate palm on a senior glove

Insidious Hal

8 minutes ago, Insidious Hal said:

Hey everyone,

I am in the midst of shopping for a set of pads. I am seeing a lot of senior gloves and blockers with an option for intermediate palms. not being the biggest goalie to ever walk the earth(5' 7'). I  was wondering if this is worth it?

I think it's a great option for a smaller goalie.

Do you find current models leave your hand feeling lost or hard to close?

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think it's a great option for a smaller goalie.

Do you find current models leave your hand feeling lost or hard to close?

Yes...but I always thought it was because  I didn't break my glove in properly. would it be worth it on the blocker as well? 

8 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I also have this issue. Thusfar the only stock (current) catcher on the market from the 5 big guys that I can snap properly is the new G-Netik IV. Otherwise all other gloves I need the intermediate palm.

Do you have the intermediate palm on your blocker as well?

12 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I also have this issue. Thusfar the only stock (current) catcher on the market from the 5 big guys that I can snap properly is the new G-Netik IV. Otherwise all other gloves I need the intermediate palm.

Agreed. The new GNETik IV has an amazing break out of the box and is one of the few retail gloves I can close off the shelf. 

I went with intermediate internals on my senior Passau. 

EDIT: Oh I should mention, I went shopping for batting gloves for the first time in 20 years a couple days ago. Apparently SR size Small is what I wear. So of course I'm going to need smaller internals on goalie gloves too. 

5 minutes ago, Insidious Hal said:

Do you have the intermediate palm on your blocker as well?

I don't. It's not necessary when you don't do lots of opening and closing of the palm on your blocker. Unless you REALLY have small hands. Mine aren't small they're just borderline intermediate/senior.

Sadly I inherited my parents fingers and they are small sausage fingers....I did get the custom intermediate blocker and glove palm and the difference is day and night. It's great actually! I suggest anyone with small hands to do this, you will love it. 

This has nothing to do with height, but the size of your hands/palm and fingers. 

You can get warrior gloves and buy a spare intermediate palm on the glove (only comes in 600 break) and the blocker palm in intermediate to see if it works, they velcro into the guts of the glove and are interchangeable. That would be your best bet if you cant try it on in person.

14 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Sadly I inherited my parents fingers and they are small sausage fingers....I did get the custom intermediate blocker and glove palm and the difference is day and night. It's great actually! I suggest anyone with small hands to do this, you will love it. 

This has nothing to do with height, but the size of your hands/palm and fingers. 

Can you take a couple measurements like below to give everyone an idea of a palm size that you found to be about right for using intermediate? Maybe a whole hand... and another of finger length?

image.png.46bf383cc5a7728bf852e4aaf17b14e4.png

@Insidious Hal, it sounds like have the exact opposite problem on my hands (pun not intended).

I had a CCM intermediate glove for a long time. I'm now in a Warrior G3 Pro and it's snug around my finger tips. I have a kind of odd hand where my palm is about a 1/4" past my knuckles. In other words, I have a small palm and really long fingers. I like the snug feel though. I say this because it's been kind of difficult to find a glove with intermediate sized wrist and palm but still has enough space for senior fingers. The Int CCM was perfect but it was an Int. Shots from AAA high school seniors and Int gloves don't mix well. Within a week my hand was bruised and my glove's plates were cracked. I am yet to use the Warrior on ice but will be trying it tomorrow. I will report back after that.

I like @BadAngle41's idea. Very smart!

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Can you take a couple measurements like below to give everyone an idea of a palm size that you found to be about right for using intermediate? Maybe a whole hand... and another of finger length?

image.png.46bf383cc5a7728bf852e4aaf17b14e4.png

I been using the ccm intermediate palm for over 2 years now and it helps me. It will help you if you have the same situation. Attached are my tiny measurements.  Would love to hear from anyone with this issue. 

@ThatCarGuy

20190123_150912.jpg

Archived