Blade lengths?

Chester

Wish to pick the collective brains. Have two pairs of skates. Makos in Bauer cowling. Skates and cowling size 7. Next, CCMs in CCM cowling. Now it gets interesting. Size 7 boot but size 6 cowling. 

Now, I’m finding the CCMs harder to move in. As if there is more steel contacting the ice. 

I’ve had Reebok skates in the past with a 7 cowling and they felt like skis so I sold them. 

So, my question is, can I get the CCMs to feel like the Bauer’s? Do I need a radius cut? Or...... what are other possible options. I do like the skates. And I can’t wear the Makos more than an hour or my feet cramp. Yes, Hav superfeet in them. 

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Chester said:

So, my question is, can I get the CCMs to feel like the Bauer’s? Do I need a radius cut? 

I would reach out to noicingsports and see if he can recommend a combo radius that would have less steel on the ice at any given moment.  It's certainly cheaper than trying to swap cowlings to a size 5 and to be honest I really doubt that would work anyway.   Regardless, having my blades profiled makes a HUGE difference when they're freshly done, and noicing has always treated me well.  

Don't CCM skates have less pitch (forgive my aeronautical terms if I'm wrong) than Bauer? For my skates (Graf Supra) I forget what radius I have but I take a stone (not just any stone) and dull the outside edges of my skates, this way I have stability and a much easier shuffle. I also currently have 5/8" for the edge. As Puckstopper said, profiling helps an unbelievable amount. I don't think I could ever use profile-less skates again.

Your CCM steel is probably flatter than what you are used to. 

Get a good skate shop to profile them (No Icing as mentioned above does fantastic work). 

7 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Don't CCM skates have less pitch (forgive my aeronautical terms if I'm wrong) than Bauer? For my skates (Graf Supra) I forget what radius I have but I take a stone (not just any stone) and dull the outside edges of my skates, this way I have stability and a much easier shuffle. I also currently have 5/8" for the edge. As Puckstopper said, profiling helps an unbelievable amount. I don't think I could ever use profile-less skates again.

Pitch = lean forward or back

Radius = amount of steel contacting the ice

Profile = combination of the above two

Radius of hollow = “sharpness” 

Unsolicited advice: you can also ask for an offset cut where your inside edge is a smidge taller than your outside. Saves you the extra labor of hand stoning your steel, and you will probably get more consistent feel. 

Pro sharpening guys (not the high school/college kid working at a shop) know stock blade lengths and radii, check with them on CCM vs Bauer.

Another thing to note if your CCMs are new - your sharpener may have inadvertently rounded the steel on your Mako+Bauer cowlings. 
Don't get upset with them, this is normal over the course of a few years.
There is also the chance that your CCMs aren't perfectly flat, and could have a reverse profile (curves out instead of in)
It's possible for your skate guy to find the profile on your Mako+Bauers if they have the right tools.

I used a Reebok cowling and steel off a 9k model (to give you an approximate age) and I believe those were 30', so you might start there, if CCM hasn't changed.

I use a 27' front, 30' back with aggressive forward pitch that I like, but some would find it puts too much of your weight forward.

Archived