Pad Settling

Max27

Ive noticed an issue with my CCM pads recently.

A little about them for whatever it is worth- they are eflex 2 760s, 34 + 1.

Have used them for a little over a year very regularly and have noticed where i sit in the knee stack has changed. Ive been landing in the lower section of the knee and i measured the pads to see if it was a settling thing and they measure 30" tall. Is this normal for a pad to settle that much? Is it time to get new pads? Please help. Any advice is appreciated. 

You have a low level senior pad. Cheaper materials. Bound to happen.

Your 30" measurement is meaningless unless you had the original pad height from when they were new.
True pad measurement is across the length of the pad on the face.
You might have lost a half inch to a full inch at the boot break if your knee stack landing zone has changed.

Is it time for new pads?  I don't know.  Are you getting hurt? Are you falling off the knee stack? Do you buy your own gear or do you parents? If your parents, do they want to spend money on new gear for you?

14 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

You have a low level senior pad. Cheaper materials. Bound to happen.

Your 30" measurement is meaningless unless you had the original pad height from when they were new.
True pad measurement is across the length of the pad on the face.
You might have lost a half inch to a full inch at the boot break if your knee stack landing zone has changed.

Is it time for new pads?  I don't know.  Are you getting hurt? Are you falling off the knee stack? Do you buy your own gear or do you parents? If your parents, do they want to spend money on new gear for you?

Im sure they would measure true to size at the original pad height

i measured boot to the top of the thigh rise and got 30 inches

my knee falls off the stack unless i do the velcro knee strap as tight as i can directly across. Ive fallen off and it did not feel good.

My parents bought these pads but i want to help them and buy mynext ones myself since theyre expensive, but i am still looking for a job to pay for new pads. was gonna try and get a job as a rink attendant but you gotta be 18 or older, and im a sophmore in highschool.

Yeah, a cheaper level pad will definitely break down MUCH faster than anything else. When people say that durability on pro is better, this is one of the main things they are referring to. The internal foams are softer and lower quality, so with lots of use it would be unfair to assume they'd last the same time. 

You can always try to put your boot strap through the back hoop of skate (or remove it all together) as that should help push the pad up when going down. Another thing would be to strap the knee elastic at the knee instead of Price style, as that will secure your knee much better. 

I would recommend you look for used pro stuff on SidelineSwap/kijiji/etc. Or even look though clearance. I'm seeing Bauer 1S pads for like $800CDN now. The Eflex 3 will be clearance prices very soon too. 

23 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Yeah, a cheaper level pad will definitely break down MUCH faster than anything else. When people say that durability on pro is better, this is one of the main things they are referring to. The internal foams are softer and lower quality, so with lots of use it would be unfair to assume they'd last the same time. 

You can always try to put your boot strap through the back hoop of skate (or remove it all together) as that should help push the pad up when going down. Another thing would be to strap the knee elastic at the knee instead of Price style, as that will secure your knee much better. 

I would recommend you look for used pro stuff on SidelineSwap/kijiji/etc. Or even look though clearance. I'm seeing Bauer 1S pads for like $800CDN now. The Eflex 3 will be clearance prices very soon too. 

Yeah i removed my bootstrap a while ago altogether and ive kept my knee strap directly across bc my knee slides off if i dont

as for new pads ive seen some on sidelineswap that i might get or i might wait for the Ef3s or GTs to go on clearance, I saw the 1s are a steal for pro pads but their durability is awful, plus all the places ive seen 1s pads only have L and XL which is too big for me 

i might get a whole new set from clearance, I keep getting stingers in my Greiss glove and it has a wavy palm and cant close right and I get vibration in my hand from the Greiss blocker. They were used a lot by him and theyre fantastic but theyre tired. Should i get a full set together on clearance or mix/match? I dont mind mismatching my gear but id prefer to have matching gear but i dont have a ton of money to spend

34 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Yeah i removed my bootstrap a while ago altogether and ive kept my knee strap directly across bc my knee slides off if i dont

as for new pads ive seen some on sidelineswap that i might get or i might wait for the Ef3s or GTs to go on clearance, I saw the 1s are a steal for pro pads but their durability is awful, plus all the places ive seen 1s pads only have L and XL which is too big for me 

i might get a whole new set from clearance, I keep getting stingers in my Greiss glove and it has a wavy palm and cant close right and I get vibration in my hand from the Greiss blocker. They were used a lot by him and theyre fantastic but theyre tired. Should i get a full set together on clearance or mix/match? I dont mind mismatching my gear but id prefer to have matching gear but i dont have a ton of money to spend

Best bang for your buck... Have at er

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/collections/goalie-leg-pads-senior/products/warrior-ritual-gt-classic-senior-leg-pads?variant=14225712971842

13 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

probably going to get a full set on clearance come the GT2 Release. @coopaloop1234 said the seniors hold up great and are fantastic all around 

22 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

And the Pro v elite senior glove is on clearance too on goaliemonkey since it’s the current glove you have https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/gloves/sr-goalie-catch-gloves/vaughn-goalie-glove-pro-v-elite-sr.html

thanks but im gonna try a different  glove if i get a new one. I find the vaughns hard to close and i cant really get my hand comfortably inside it, feels either too tight or too loose 

6 minutes ago, Max27 said:

thanks but im gonna try a different  glove if i get a new one. I find the vaughns hard to close and i cant really get my hand comfortably inside it, feels either too tight or too loose 

yea i found that with most vaughns i wore except for the lt98 lol. good luck with what you find though 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, Max27 said:

Ive noticed an issue with my CCM pads recently.

A little about them for whatever it is worth- they are eflex 2 760s, 34 + 1.

Have used them for a little over a year very regularly and have noticed where i sit in the knee stack has changed. Ive been landing in the lower section of the knee and i measured the pads to see if it was a settling thing and they measure 30" tall. Is this normal for a pad to settle that much? Is it time to get new pads? Please help. Any advice is appreciated. 

Agree with @Chenner29 that this could be the downfall of a cheaper item... but...

You're still a teen, any chance you're stealthy growing a bit more too?

9 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

yea i found that with most vaughns i wore except for the lt98 lol. good luck with what you find though 

thanks, i was checking out the gloves warrior has with the palms you can take out and get different breaks. looks really cool

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agree with @Chenner29 that this could be the downfall of a cheaper item... but...

You're still a teen, any chance you're stealthy growing a bit more too?

I agree it is the downfall of a cheaper item, but a 34+1 measuring 30 inches tall seems insane

and yeah it definetley could be that i am outgrowing the pads, but ive noticed im landing lower in the knee than i was before, which gives me the thought of settling, more than me outgrowing them, youd think if they were too small id land at the top. Im gonna go to a Pure Goalie a few towns over and check out what size i should be in, to see a potential future investment in a pad that will last a lot longer. these pads have held up to shooter levels they probably arent designed for (im playing against Varsity, JV, and some travel players) but Im noticing them getting a little slow on me. @TheGoalNet i know you have the P2s, do you reccomend them? I know you said in you review of them there werent many to any durability issues you had with them and I love my current CCM s and have been eyeing them 

8 hours ago, Max27 said:

thanks, i was checking out the gloves warrior has with the palms you can take out and get different breaks. looks really cool

I agree it is the downfall of a cheaper item, but a 34+1 measuring 30 inches tall seems insane

and yeah it definetley could be that i am outgrowing the pads, but ive noticed im landing lower in the knee than i was before, which gives me the thought of settling, more than me outgrowing them, youd think if they were too small id land at the top. Im gonna go to a Pure Goalie a few towns over and check out what size i should be in, to see a potential future investment in a pad that will last a lot longer. these pads have held up to shooter levels they probably arent designed for (im playing against Varsity, JV, and some travel players) but Im noticing them getting a little slow on me. @TheGoalNet i know you have the P2s, do you reccomend them? I know you said in you review of them there werent many to any durability issues you had with them and I love my current CCM s and have been eyeing them 

I would absolutely recommend P2s to anyone. There's not real hangs ups on that pads.

At the present moment, my GNetik IV pads are my favorite. But that's because I finally got the specs dialed in

If you're now landing on the lower end of the knee stacks, that would imply that the pad is growing, no?  ;)

If they were settling, wouldn't you be landing higher in the knee stack?  

Given that most pads are made with solid sheets of foam these days, I don't think even cheaper pads settle as much.  that was more of an issue when they were stuffed with shredded foam or deer hair.  

How are you measuring your pads? I highly doubt your pads shrunk 5”.  That is unheard of in modern goalie gear.

On the face of the pad you should get the following measurements:

Bottom of boot to boot break: 7.5”

Shin: Around 12”

Knee rolls: 7”

Knee roll seam to top of pad: Around 9”

you add these 4 measurements up and you should get 35”.

5 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

If you're now landing on the lower end of the knee stacks, that would imply that the pad is growing, no?  ;)

If they were settling, wouldn't you be landing higher in the knee stack?  

Given that most pads are made with solid sheets of foam these days, I don't think even cheaper pads settle as much.  that was more of an issue when they were stuffed with shredded foam or deer hair.  

idk i was landing center for awhile but ive been landing at the bottom asof late

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would absolutely recommend P2s to anyone. There's not real hangs ups on that pads.

At the present moment, my GNetik IV pads are my favorite. But that's because I finally got the specs dialed in

ok cool

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

How are you measuring your pads? I highly doubt your pads shrunk 5”.  That is unheard of in modern goalie gear.

On the face of the pad you should get the following measurements:

Bottom of boot to boot break: 7.5”

Shin: Around 12”

Knee rolls: 7”

Knee roll seam to top of pad: Around 9”

you add these 4 measurements up and you should get 35”.

I just did all those measurements again and got

bottom of boot -> boot break- 5

Shin-12

Knee rolls-7 

Knee roll seam - top of pad-8 

55 minutes ago, Max27 said:

idk i was landing center for awhile but ive been landing at the bottom asof late

Ummm... if you are landing at the BOTTOM, that would mean the pads are growing bigger... if they were shrinking/settling, you would be landing at the TOP.....

1 minute ago, Naz said:

Ummm... if you are landing at the BOTTOM, that would mean the pads are growing bigger... if they were shrinking/settling, you would be landing at the TOP.....

yeah i dont understand it lol like @TheGoalNet said im a teen (sophmore in HS) i could be growing again, but im also about 6'3 already and i dont see myself gtowing much more

1 minute ago, Max27 said:

yeah i dont understand it lol like @TheGoalNet said im a teen (sophmore in HS) i could be growing again, but im also about 6'3 already and i dont see myself gtowing much more

You mentioned earlier that you removed the boot strap.  Perhaps the pad is riding up too high due to nothing holding it down.  If you are landing at the bottom of the stack, the pad is NOT shrinking.

2 minutes ago, Naz said:

You mentioned earlier that you removed the boot strap.  Perhaps the pad is riding up too high due to nothing holding it down.  If you are landing at the bottom of the stack, the pad is NOT shrinking.

ive had the bootstrap removed since i think July and havent had issues 

the pads definetley have settled, the measurements @Chenner29 said to do that are supposed to equal 35 (34+1) and i got 32.5, i extensively broke them in to make them softer, which im sure caused some of it, i did Tomy Ames from GCNs break in method for pads twice on them when i got them to make them really soft, bc i was just starting out playing organized hockey, ive played for a couple of years messing around with friends and what not in street/ball hockey pads which are crazy soft and wanted to replicate that feel but i think it caused a little premature settlage on the pads and made them too soft. now that ive played organized hockey for about a year now, ive gotten used to the stiffer profile (not that my pads are stiff but theyre stiff compared to ball hockey pads) and will not make that mistake again. I was playing around with strapping and found the way i strap my pads recently and found my knee lands much higher on the stack when i put my velcro knee strap directly across the knee, as appose to price strapping. What I want to do is get sized to see what fits me the best across a few brands at a local pure goalie and if i get new pads that are also 34+1, compare them side-by-side to see if they actually did settle, and learn from my mistake of making them as soft as i did and use a stiffer profile pad to aid in not having to re-adress pad settling.

9 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Not sure how you could have gotten a 5" boot.  Are you measuring on the face of the pads?

NHL minimum is 7.5" and CCM isn't going to change their tooling for senior pads.

i measured from the bottom of the boot by the binding at the toe to the boot break

5 hours ago, Naz said:

Thank you!! I was reading through each post hoping someone pointed that out. Didn’t want to have to get to page 2 or 3 to see it. 

23 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thank you!! I was reading through each post hoping someone pointed that out. Didn’t want to have to get to page 2 or 3 to see it. 

I meant i thought it was coming from the pads settling and sitting lower, causing my knee to land somewhere different 

31 minutes ago, old but slow said:

The foam in the e-flex will not settle in the boot length. Definitely won't settle 2 inches. Break in techniques won't cause modern pads to settle. Breaks will soften, allowing more flex causing pads to fit differently.

thats what i think, bc i find it hard to believe a "solid core" pad would settle that much 

Archived