Need help deciding my next glove

southpawtendy48

Ok so let me point something real quick, I'm on the ice everyday now, 4 practices, 1 pickup, 1 goalie lesson and a game, and maybe an extra pick up session within the week. So yeah, I'm on the ice A LOT now.

I currently wear the Vaughn LT98 if you don't know already, and I was thinking because I'm on the ice so much I might just get another one because I'm getting quite a few stingers now. But the thing is it has to be custom since there's no full right gloves in retail that would suit my needs, so I have to be sure, because I love my glove but there's lack of options when it comes to customizing how tight you can make the glove, internally there's only one velcro strap across the back of the fingers and the back of the wrist but no matter what it's still a bit loose and sometimes comes loose to where my fingers aren't all the way where they should be in the glove. So I've been looking around for some models from previous years that might suit me better, and the V6 2000 caught my eye with the ridges on the front of the cuff and the backhand being separate from the rest of the glove so I can have more mobility with my wrist.

I'm leaning more towards this glove, but to those of you who've worn an LT98 or at least an SLR and a V6 how different would the transition be? I found the LT98 to be one of the few vaughn gloves that felt natural on my hand, so I don't want to be hasty. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Well, you DO need a pro level glove for the amount of hockey you're playing, there's no disputing that.

I dunno about the 6 but I found the Velocity 7 & 8 to be around at least 90% the same glove. But those gloves are VERY different than the Ventus SLR gloves. In fact, I have a difficult time selling those Ventus gloves in general in my store. Most people put them on and are just not having it. As far as Vaughn catchers go, 9 out of 10 goalies choose the Velocity. I myself chose the Epic 8800.

Hope this helps.

@southpawtendy48

Are you set on getting a two piece cuff?

I used to have a V6 1000, the offshore version of the 2000. I used it for about a month and couldn't get used to it. I'm not sure how similar or different the mechanics of the two versions are , but I'm happy to answer questions on the 1000. I sold it, so I can't give too many details or photos.

But...the V6 2200 is my glove and I currently own 2 of them. This glove dethroned the 5500, which I used my whole life, as my glove .

I can give lots of details, specs, and photos of the 2200 if you're interested in the one piece cuff V6.

As much of a Vaughn guy as I am, I haven't strayed outside of Velocity stuff , other than my SLR pro pants.

On @ULTIMA point, I was told directly from Vaughn that the V6 gloves are nothing like the 7 or 8 gloves, which themselves are very similar.  So, there is some good ole Vaughn lineage issues to contend with in getting an older glove custom made, like I did recently.

2 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Well, you DO need a pro level glove for the amount of hockey you're playing, there's no disputing that.

I dunno about the 6 but I found the Velocity 7 & 8 to be around at least 90% the same glove. But those gloves are VERY different than the Ventus SLR gloves. In fact, I have a difficult time selling those Ventus gloves in general in my store. Most people put them on and are just not having it. As far as Vaughn catchers go, 9 out of 10 goalies choose the Velocity. I myself chose the Epic 8800.

Hope this helps.

I tried a Vaughn 8880 pro return (one piece as opposed to two piece but essentially the same feel) and found it to fit my hand very well but the closure was weird to me, and I couldn’t move my hand as the backhand interfered with my chesty.

Also I’m kinda set on the v6 as opposed to the v7 and v8 and neither of them have that backhand I was talking about, unlike the others it’s seperated from the front of the cuff.

I’ve heard this glove has a higher thumb angle than the v5 but not quite as high as the LT98, I guess what I’m asking is would that be much of a difference in terms of feel  

246929ED-66D0-4E84-AB61-5F0ADDFF560E.jpeg

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

@southpawtendy48

Are you set on getting a two piece cuff?

I used to have a V6 1000, the offshore version of the 2000. I used it for about a month and couldn't get used to it. I'm not sure how similar or different the mechanics of the two versions are , but I'm happy to answer questions on the 1000. I sold it, so I can't give too many details or photos.

But...the V6 2200 is my glove and I currently own 2 of them. This glove dethroned the 5500, which I used my whole life, as my glove .

I can give lots of details, specs, and photos of the 2200 if you're interested in the one piece cuff V6.

As much of a Vaughn guy as I am, I haven't strayed outside of Velocity stuff , other than my SLR pro pants.

On @ULTIMA point, I was told directly from Vaughn that the V6 gloves are nothing like the 7 or 8 gloves, which themselves are very similar.  So, there is some good ole Vaughn lineage issues to contend with in getting an older glove custom made, like I did recently.

I do prefer two-pieces over their counterpart, but I’d still be very interested to hear the types of specs yours has. I’m in no rush as of now to order anything yet. 

I use the Pro V Elite glove and really like it, but one glove I tried on in store recently is the Genetik IV. It is an awesome glove and really liked it, and the BOA system might be something that could really work for you. Other than that, possibly going with a custom Vaughn glove or Passau. 

@southpawtendy48 - Are you limited to Vaughn? Something like the D30 in a CCM 600 might help with your stinger concern.

I don't know exactly what it is, but Vaughn is advertising shock absorption in SLR 2. If you want to stick with Vaughn, maybe waiting a few months could help

Also... If your current glove is not "Dead" and is very broken in. Maybe you order a new glove with a practice palm and use your existing one on in games. This is why pro goalies get 2

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@southpawtendy48 - Are you limited to Vaughn? Something like the D30 in a CCM 600 might help with your stinger concern.

I don't know exactly what it is, but Vaughn is advertising shock absorption in SLR 2. If you want to stick with Vaughn, maybe waiting a few months could help

Also... If your current glove is not "Dead" and is very broken in. Maybe you order a new glove with a practice palm and use your existing one on in games. This is why pro goalies get 2

Yeah I prefer Vaughn and the current model I’m wearing, but see qualities within the V6 and the customization for fit that could benefit me more. But again the only issue I have is the LT98 might be a bit too loose. I’m exploring options for a second one (the v6), but it might not be one to switch off from the LT98 (use it in practice, maybe some games along with the LT98), just asking feel wise how different it is from my current one more than anything.

Also yes, my glove is very much broken in and I usually never get stingers if I manage to catch it properly, lol 

26 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Yeah I prefer Vaughn and the current model I’m wearing, but see qualities within the V6 and the customization for fit that could benefit me more. But again the only issue I have is the LT98 might be a bit too loose. I’m exploring options for a second one (the v6), but it might not be one to switch off from the LT98 (use it in practice, maybe some games along with the LT98), just asking feel wise how different it is from my current one more than anything.

Also yes, my glove is very much broken in and I usually never get stingers if I manage to catch it properly, lol 

I would keep yours for games, get an LT98 with a practice palm and intermediate glove, and you're ready to go

27 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I was able to put on a VE8 at my LHS and it was one of the few newer Vaughn gloves that felt great on my hand.

I will say non-Vaughn... GT Pro from Warrior... Light, protective and snap shut closure out of the box

The VE8 felt weird on my hand and couldn’t really get it to fit comfortably on my hand. Also I was never a big fan of warrior except for their pads but I’ll check their glove out for the future, more likely than not I’m sticking with Vaughn at this point in time 

@southpawtendy48

Have you seen these?

It's a shame Total/Pure Goalie stopped doing these, they were great.

Regardless of which glove you end up getting, you can always order a tighter strapped glove with either velcro straps, or like on the 2200, with leather-buckle strap on the wrist.   I was amazed at how much I liked the leather-buckle strap on the wrist when I got my first 2200. I'll probably keep getting one of these on any future glove I customize.

54 minutes ago, seagoal said:

@southpawtendy48

Have you seen these?

Regardless of which glove you end up getting, you can always order a tighter strapped glove with either velcro straps, or like on the 2200, with leather-buckle strap on the wrist.   I was amazed at how much I liked the leather-buckle strap on the wrist when I got my first 2200. I'll probably keep getting one of these on any future glove I customize.

Yes, I have seen both videos. Sucks they stopped doing those videos, they really helped a lot. I still thought I would ask here cause they didn’t explain much on the break/angle 

Also thank you, I wasn’t completely sure I could custom order extra Velcro straps

Yeah, my hands are on the smallish side and I've always gotten a velcro strap over the back of my hand and one over my fingers on gloves without them as stock features.  These come stock on the 2200s so I didn't need to modify my current glove in terms of straps.

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, my hands are on the smallish side and I've always gotten a velcro strap over the back of my hand and one over my fingers on gloves without them as stock features.  These come stock on the 2200s so I didn't need to modify my current glove in terms of straps.

Good to know, thanks 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:42 AM, seagoal said:

@southpawtendy48

Have you seen these?

BOA is best, but I prefer a leather strap over the the nylon strap and plastic clip. 

Had this on P2 and it will come on my EF4 too 

Archived