Slapshot from the hash marks?

Lucky Pucker

Saw some of the ASG this weekend. Explained to my son that the whole thing is not fair to goalies - though they did amazingly well, considering.

So anyway, in one game, Karlsson (who I always felt was prone to bouts of douchebaggery) was on a clear breakaway. He skates up to the hash marks, then takes a full-windup slapshot. My first thought was WTF?!?! What a dick move! But then as nobody said anything, I wondered if it was only me who was offended by what I perceived to be a lack of respect and class. I'm pretty sure Karlsson wouldn't want to stand in front of the net while a top NHL D-man winds up from the hash marks.

So - is it now OK? Only at NHL level? Not OK, at any level? Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Saw some of the ASG this weekend. Explained to my son that the whole thing is not fair to goalies - though they did amazingly well, considering.

So anyway, in one game, Karlsson (who I always felt was prone to bouts of douchebaggery) was on a clear breakaway. He skates up to the hash marks, then takes a full-windup slapshot. My first thought was WTF?!?! What a dick move! But then as nobody said anything, I wondered if it was only me who was offended by what I perceived to be a lack of respect and class. I'm pretty sure Karlsson wouldn't want to stand in front of the net while a top NHL D-man winds up from the hash marks.

So - is it now OK? Only at NHL level? Not OK, at any level? Thoughts?

KHL guy did this in a shoot out recently. I think Chara did this once or faked one?

It's not common, but as long as he's not headhunting... I don't see how it's not fair game

There's two parts to my answer depending in the situation:

In the ASG it's a dick move mainly because, at least to me, judging by the way the players play, the unwritten rule is not to hurt other players in  what  is a glorified exhibition game. A better example of what you say about Karlsson not standing in front of a slap shot is that you would hear pretty big outrage if someone like Benn was to step into Karlsson with a heavy hit while Karlsson had his head down in the ASG.

On the other hand, in a real game, short of a "penalizable" offense, anything goes - it's always been like that. Forwards aren't going to pull back on that kind of shot and sacrifice a possible goal because they are concerned about respect for or injury to a goalie

37 minutes ago, Colander said:

There's two parts to my answer depending in the situation:

In the ASG it's a dick move mainly because, at least to me, judging by the way the players play, the unwritten rule is not to hurt other players in  what  is a glorified exhibition game. A better example of what you say about Karlsson not standing in front of a slap shot is that you would hear pretty big outrage if someone like Benn was to step into Karlsson with a heavy hit while Karlsson had his head down in the ASG.

On the other hand, in a real game, short of a "penalizable" offense, anything goes - it's always been like that. Forwards aren't going to pull back on that kind of shot and sacrifice a possible goal because they are concerned about respect for or injury to a goalie

I think your second point is probably spot on. Trying to do something fancy to excite the fans in an exhibition.

I guess my objection is based on the assumed understanding that @Colander mentioned, wherein participants of the ASG will take extra care to not injure fellow participants. If there is a thought to entertainment value (I agree this is very likely), then why not turn the goalie inside out with the kind of deke you only attempt in practice? Not much entertainment value in a slap shot from that close - that didn't even go in.

To be fair, as I recall, it seemed clear to me that while it was a rising shot, Karlsson was NOT headhunting.

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I guess my objection is based on the assumed understanding that @Colander mentioned, wherein participants of the ASG will take extra care to not injure fellow participants. If there is a thought to entertainment value (I agree this is very likely), then why not turn the goalie inside out with the kind of deke you only attempt in practice? Not much entertainment value in a slap shot from that close - that didn't even go in.

To be fair, as I recall, it seemed clear to me that while it was a rising shot, Karlsson was NOT headhunting.

I agree with everything except for the "exhibition / entertainment value". At the end of the day, the fans don't really care about the ASG, they care about their team winning the cup. I saw a few bits of the ASG skills competition and Lundqvist went on record to say something like "Yeah, we're out there to compete and have fun but if I'm beat (on the penalty shot challenge) I'm not overextending myself." These guys aren't out there to take risks. The bomb from the hash marks was douchey imo.

Archived