Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon Set - 33"+1 - Rare Color Combo

cheddarberg

2 hours ago, cheddarberg said:

I impulsively bought the set because I LOVE the color combo and told myself that I could get away with the +1 thigh rise. 

I simply cant use these pads with that thigh rise.. I need at least a +2 (preferably +3).  

Why do you need such a big thigh rise?

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Because he has big thighs

Well I was hoping he'd say he just couldn't close his five hole properly and could nudge him in the right direction strapping wise to help him. I sincerely doubt he needs a +3 thigh rise though

21 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Well I was hoping he'd say he just couldn't close his five hole properly and could nudge him in the right direction strapping wise to help him. I sincerely doubt he needs a +3 thigh rise though

I'll gladly speak for myself here in saying I know how to close my five hole and that my novelty sized thighs require more than a +1..

2 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

I'll gladly speak for myself here in saying I know how to close my five hole and that my novelty sized thighs require more than a +1..

Do you wear a boot strap?  Between that the RRC strap you should get the pad to sit higher on your leg and help with 5 hole closure

51 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I'll bite, since I can't close my five hole. How should I adjust my straps?

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Ditto.

The tops of my pads have never touched in the butterfly.  I ain't the most flexible guy in the world, by far.  It has gotten better recently though with no boot strap and a professor strap.

*probably a great new thread: Strapping Strategies for Closing 5-hole (for all genetics)

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I ain't the most flexible guy in the world, by far.

Same here. At least in one way. I can't even get close to splits. However, I can almost put my feet 180 degrees to each other while in butterfly if I really try. Partly because my toe ties allow it.

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Same here. At least in one way. I can't even get close to splits. However, I can almost put my feet 180 degrees to each other while in butterfly if I really try. Partly because my toe ties allow it.

Toe-ties play a big role, for sure.

Splits are crazy.  Completely impossible for most human bodies.

It's more relevant to discuss when we're down on our knees in the butterfly, where are your feet? How far out can your feet spread?  Strapping can help with these, whether your pads close regardless if your feet/legs look like II or \/ when down on your knees.

3 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I’m so tempted to buy those pads, except I need a +2 thigh rise like you lol

The whole set is gorgeous.  When done the right way the SLR graphic looks very 3-D, like it has actual depth to it.  It's neat.

42 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I’m so tempted to buy those pads, except I need a +2 thigh rise like you lol

For as much as I want to sell you this, dont make the same mistake I did. I just kept telling myself "ah its an inch, big deal"..  You need to be 1000% okay with the looks AND sizing of what you're buying at this pricepoint.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Keep in mind, you can only do so much with a pad to help close the five hole. A vast majority of it has to do with the hip flexors. It's why I was wondering if OP was just having issues with closure or if he actually needed a +2. The goalie position is trending to being more mobile again, and we are now seeing smaller equipment reach retail shelves. Big thigh rises when not truly needed due to thigh size negatively impacts mobility.

I can try to help you... but truthfully, I've never messed with a Passau pad in person so I'm not entirely sure of the adjustments you could make. 

I was referring to the Vaughn SLR in particular, which is very easy to fit taller while in the butterfly. You could also try these perhaps?

1) The RRC strap does WONDERS with the way it was designed. Since it's elastic with their MSH3 material, it can be propped up on the calf and not slip. It is also a thick piece (by strap standards) which should push it up even higher while snug. With how the rest of the SLR strapping is designed (aka not much else), that is the main anchor point of the pad and nothing else should interfere with it.

2) Vaughn boots by design are very deep. There is a ton of cushion for the skate between the centre of the leg channel and the inside edge while going down.. setting the toe ties to the inside will push the pad higher (as the skate will be completely along the ice), even more than most other brands.

3) The elastic boot strap set to the back of the heel. Since it's not a purely leather strap, it can be done snug to the skate but also stretch while going down. No bootstrap could also work, but that could also negatively affect it.

There was/is a Vaughn goalie that makes his pads fit super tall on him but I can't remember who. But of course this can only work to a certain extent, as knee blocks can interfere or to a lesser extent, slip out (if properly sized).

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Ditto.

The tops of my pads have never touched in the butterfly.  I ain't the most flexible guy in the world, by far.  It has gotten better recently though with no boot strap and a professor strap.

*probably a great new thread: Strapping Strategies for Closing 5-hole (for all genetics)

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

There was/is a Vaughn goalie that makes his pads fit super tall on him but I can't remember who. But of course this can only work to a certain extent, as knee blocks can interfere or to a lesser extent, slip out (if properly sized).

i think you mean jared coreau

Archived