Playing against former team

Max27

What is it like?

I play house league rn and i am not on the team i was on last year and my first game of the spring season is against my former team. Kinda sucks that im not on that team anymore bc that teams essentially the JV team for my school. What is it gonna be like to play against them? 

3 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I've played my former teams before. Just prepare for it like a normal game, you need to have the same mindset regardless of who you play.

yeah forsure i will have the same mindset of them as oppose to any team just was wondering if it is a weird feeling or anything at the start atleast. i can imagine once the tempo of the game settles in any feelings kinda decipitate

7 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah forsure i will have the same mindset of them as oppose to any team just was wondering if it is a weird feeling or anything at the start atleast. i can imagine once the tempo of the game settles in any feelings kinda decipitate

For me, before the game seeing the kids I used to play with was weird. 

When you eventually hit the big leagues (beer leagues), you'll be faced with lots of opportunities to sub for random teams or even teams in your div.

I've played against so many teams I've played for before that I've lost count. The first few times is neat, after that it turns into a very competitive drive of showing them that you're better than their main goalie.

I always want people to know what they're missing out on. :datass:

51 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

well you have one thing in your favour, you should know most of the players tendencies...

But... they also know yours. Also as a goalie you are "singular" meaning you are out there alone during the whole game whereas your former teammates sit on the bench and discusses your weakness. (Even in shinny I hear stories about how guys sit on the bench and as a group discuss other players weakness, be it forward, D or goalies)

BROOO, I think you think too much.  Do you get nervous or only like talking about this? Is this therapy for you? Does it help? You made a post about your tryouts too I remember.

It's just a game at the end of the day, just do what you do best, pay no attention to anything else but the puck :) STOP IT, done deal!

My oldest son is 12, I moved him to new teams recently, he's had to play his old team after occasionally. He gets really nervous and all. It's normal. Us old dudes will tell you it's no big thing - we've already lived through it and seen that it really wasn't after the fact - but it's not easy for you young dudes the first time.

Hang in there. Don't forget, it's odd for them too.

They'll trash talk you. Whatever. Don't get mad, it's just what you're supposed to do.

5 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

well you have one thing in your favour, you should know most of the players tendencies.  if anything it might make you play that much harder to have bragging rights...

yeah forsure haha id love to beat them but we won pretty much every game last season by ridiculous amounts, every game would be like 14-2 so i hope its not loike that again

15 hours ago, Peter36 said:

yeah its weird, ive played against former teammates and its weird to vs them haha

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When you eventually hit the big leagues (beer leagues), you'll be faced with lots of opportunities to sub for random teams or even teams in your div.

I've played against so many teams I've played for before that I've lost count. The first few times is neat, after that it turns into a very competitive drive of showing them that you're better than their main goalie.

haha yeah i wanna beat them, you answered it the best "its neat" was really just looking for what the experience of it is like

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

BROOO, I think you think too much.  Do you get nervous or only like talking about this? Is this therapy for you? Does it help? You made a post about your tryouts too I remember.

It's just a game at the end of the day, just do what you do best, pay no attention to anything else but the puck :) STOP IT, done deal!

Im nervous for tryouts, sure bc i want to succeed really bad, im just  excited for this. lol i just like talking abt it

i just havent played against an old team in any sport ive ever played so i was wodnering what its like 

3 hours ago, MTH said:

My oldest son is 12, I moved him to new teams recently, he's had to play his old team after occasionally. He gets really nervous and all. It's normal. Us old dudes will tell you it's no big thing - we've already lived through it and seen that it really wasn't after the fact - but it's not easy for you young dudes the first time.

They'll trash talk you. Whatever. Don't get mad, it's just what you're supposed to do.

yeah im not nervous, im excited for it. just was wondering if its weird playing vs them or anything

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm a bit odd but whenever I play against someone I know, chances are they know all my movements as @Colander said. So I change my play style completely when their shooting and it usually works pretty well. Don't try this if you're fully devoted to one style of play. 

i tend to play a little deeper than further out, ill try being more agressive ig lol

On 2/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, Peter36 said:

I've played my former teams before. Just prepare for it like a normal game, you need to have the same mindset regardless of who you play.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:35 PM, Peter36 said:

On 2/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Netnewbie said:

well you have one thing in your favour, you should know most of the players tendencies.  if anything it might make you play that much harder to have bragging rights...

On 2/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

On 2/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Colander said:

But... they also know yours. Also as a goalie you are "singular" meaning you are out there alone during the whole game whereas your former teammates sit on the bench and discusses your weakness. (Even in shinny I hear stories about how guys sit on the bench and as a group discuss other players weakness, be it forward, D or goalies)

On 2/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

On 2/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, MTH said:

On 2/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm a bit odd but whenever I play against someone I know, chances are they know all my movements as @Colander said. So I change my play style completely when their shooting and it usually works pretty well. Don't try this if you're fully devoted to one style of play. 

We ended up losing 10-4. :( such a mess of a game. I didnt play particularly bad, just played vs a fantastic roster and there was a couple own-goals

On 2/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

I think we have to be careful here. While this site tends to cater to all things “gear-related” there is other sides to tending.

What I think a lot of people tend either to forget or more likely not even realize – and totally take for granted - is that you can talk to other goalies here and get “real” responses. Because of anonymity, you may be talking to someone in the other side of the globe or other side of the street and get an earnest response.

Before the internet, you didn’t have this option. Talking to another goalie then meant you were talking to one of two people – either a goalie on another (local) team - see how much feedback you would get from him – or the other goalie on your team, who was competing with you for your position. Either way because of this “familiarity” you didn’t get a response (truth be known, you just didn’t talk to other goalies about facets of your games – especially weaknesses or worries.)

It was interesting for me when I found these types of forums, because I found out a lot of the challenges, questions and concerns I had over the years were ones a lot of other goalies either also had or were/are currently struggling with.

Being able to air concerns and receiving non-minimized responses to these kind of issues and questions can really strengthen a forum like this.

5 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

too bad but at least you got through it and know what to expect for the next time.  

yeah true. Just glad it was over lol 

New team is pretty nice just miss my old team tbh. Loved playing for them and theyre essentially the JV team im trying out for which makes it kinda suck that im now against them

Archived