My Bauer 3D Scan

Intro

I scanned my feet using the Bauer 3D scanner the other day. It wasn't my first time using it - I'd used it previously - maybe six months ago - to get scanned for player skates, but I noticed there was a goalie option this time. The very first time I scanned my feet, Bauer suggested a 7.0 EE Bauer Supreme (player) skate. This time, it suggested a 7.5 EE Bauer Supreme (player skate). The one difference I could think of between scans is how much time I spent on my feet that day. The first time I was scanned, I had been sitting in the office all day. The second and most recent scan, I had been on my feet for approximately 6 hours, with plenty of walking during that time. That piqued my curiosity as to how consistent the machine is, plus with the availability of goalie scans, I was curious to see what Bauer skate I'd be in, as I have never worn Bauer except for some Supreme 1000s a decade ago.

You can set up an account with Volumental using an e-mail address by entering it in the Bauer/Volumental scan app on the IPad and you'll get the scan(s, if you did multiple scans) emailed to you. I scanned myself around 5PM, got them about 7 hours later, around midnight.

I ran two goalie scans, with a player skate scan in between, which I have not included here. If I were a real scientist, I'd go back and scan my feet after a hard day's sitting in the office, but I am not. I am the laziest of lazy. I didn't even bother to try on the skates it recommended, partly because the store was closing soon.

Scans and Results

The first goalie scan is: https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/44a9f081-3388-40d6-a161-b21f753cd40c/?utm_medium=myvemail

My third scan (second goalie) is: https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/ef4f9efe-4e27-449c-8bb0-28cc1ba88afd/?utm_medium=myvemail

A really cool feature is that you can click on the specific category - instep height, arch height, etc, and the scan/webpage will show the location of your foot that they use to make their measurements/calculations.

Some notes:

Both scans recommended 7.5 Vapor EE for a retail skate. If I went custom, the first  scan recommended a 7.25 Vapor, while the second scan recommended a custom 7.5 Vapor. For reference, I'm in a CCM RBZ 6.5 D, now.

The summarized foot scan data (let's call it SFSD) has my left foot slightly smaller in the first scan, but approximately equal in the second scan.

The SFSD has my left foot slightly wider in the first scan, and that difference in width becomes greater in the second scan.

The SFSD says my left foot's heel depth is greater than my right foot, but the second scan has the difference greatly decreased.

The SFSD instep height is considered High, and something that has caused some trouble finding skates in the past. The instep is relatively similar across both scans, too.

The SFSD says ankle wrap is considered Short, and both scans seem to be pretty similar in that the left ankle is slightly bigger than the right.

The SFSD says my right forefight height is greater than the left foot's, and this seems consistent across both scans, though the difference is greater in the first scan.

The SFSD says my arches are high in the first scan. The second scan says the left arch is a medium and the right arch is high.

Interpretation and Conclusions

The scan confirms some things I've always though about my feet - that they are relatively wide and have high insteps and high heel depths.

I've had trouble in the past finding skates that have enough volume to fit my feet in; I had to size up and go wide in order to fit them in the boot. I've also always had a little trouble with my left toes in whatever skate I've worn, they always seemed to feel a little squished on the sides. The Bauer scan seems to confirm that, as it shows the left foot is a bit wider than the other.

The scan also indicates that I have high arches, at least on my right foot. I have never had any arch issues, but maybe I'll check out some high arch insoles and see if that'll change the feel of my skates.

An interesting thing is that the scans returned different data on the two scans, made approximately 5 minutes apart. I imagine it had to do with my stance, and I wonder how much impact those changes would have if I had done a full custom skate. Would a different stance result in a bad scan and an ill-fitting skate? A question for someone with deeper pockets...

53 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Goalie skates will be included with the release of 2X Pro and will include 2S Pro too. 2X will a new fit that should accommodate even more feet.

Hopefully that helps for anyone looking at a Bauer scan, but confused about goalies not being included 

Huh? You can do a goalie scan now.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Goalie skates will be included with the release of 2X Pro and will include 2S Pro too. 2X will a new fit that should accommodate even more feet.

Hopefully that helps for anyone looking at a Bauer scan, but confused about goalies not being included 

Yeah, if you follow the links to his scan you can see a 1x vapor goalie skate on the "stock" and "custom" tabs sizing tabs. 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Nice.  It might be time to consider replacing my 1S's!

4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Huh? You can do a goalie scan now.

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

Yeah, if you follow the links to his scan you can see a 1x vapor goalie skate on the "stock" and "custom" tabs sizing tabs. 

I haven't been to a store since last year to test, but I had a call with Bauer last week. They told me scans were not available until the spring? I don't know if this is a limited roll out right now, or they don't count it until myBauer is accurate now, or whatever.

I am just sharing what I got from Bauer

10 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I haven't been to a store since last year to test, but I had a call with Bauer last week. They told me scans were not available until the spring? I don't know if this is a limited roll out right now, or they don't count it until myBauer is accurate now, or whatever. 

I am just sharing what I got from Bauer 

Hmmm. Interesting. The 3D Skate Lab at my LHS definitely had the option for both player and goalie. I played around with both.

Maybe they were referring to fully custom skates built off the 3D scans?

10 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Hmmm. Interesting. The 3D Skate Lab at my LHS definitely had the option for both player and goalie. I played around with both.

Maybe they were referring to fully custom skates built off the 3D scans?

Maybe... One of those things, maybe I was too vague with my question?

I am 100% that full custom like the players skates is coming this spring.

Archived