Foot pain in new skates

Max27

Im experiencing this in my S27s. Ive had them since Xmas, used them probably 5 times and my feet have been in so much pain with them on.They fit me fine, just hurt my ankles and the bottoms of my feet.  Is this just a breaking in process of the skates? 

15 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Im experiencing this in my S27s. Ive had them since Xmas, used them probably 5 times and my feet have been in so much pain with them on.They fit me fine, just hurt my ankles and the bottoms of my feet.  Is this just a breaking in process of the skates? 

My 1s did this, took around 10 or so skates for me to feel comfortable with them, mainly on the ankles. Did you get your skates baked?

11 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

My 1s did this, took around 10 or so skates for me to feel comfortable with them, mainly on the ankles. Did you get your skates baked?

+1 on wanting to know if you baked them.

Also, are you cranking down on the laces?  Try laying off a bit specifically where it hurts.  For example, I skip hole 5 on my skates because my feet go up a bit on top.  With lacing adjustment, it's fine.

35 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

ok thanks, glad im not alone with this. i didnt get my skates baked.

21 minutes ago, seagoal said:

+1 on wanting to know if you baked them.

Also, are you cranking down on the laces?  Try laying off a bit specifically where it hurts.  For example, I skip hole 5 on my skates because my feet go up a bit on top.  With lacing adjustment, it's fine.

i didnt.

i do crank down on the laces, ill try next time loosening them. Ill try and go to a public skate before so its nothing foreign come game time. 

I could check at my local pure hockey if they could bake them for me and see if that helps

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I love your enthusiasm and how much you love to talk gear, but sometimes I think you must know the answers to this stuff 

yeah i should, i dont get why i wouldnt have thought i needed it. I dropped a size in the skate bc i found my 11s too big and i assumed that would replace needing to bake them

im gonna try and get them baked over winter break

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

If buy themro moldable skates, mold them 

I love your enthusiasm and how much you love to talk gear, but sometimes I think you must know the answers to this stuff 

While I don't think this is what happened here, I did have someone at a fairly reputable shop tell me my 1S skates didn't need to be baked and would form to my feet after a few skates. They were pretty sore for those few skates, then I baked them and they got a whole lot better. 

9 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

While I don't think this is what happened here, I did have someone at a fairly reputable shop tell me my 1S skates didn't need to be baked and would form to my feet after a few skates. They were pretty sore for those few skates, then I baked them and they got a whole lot better. 

basically, i assumed what you were told by that shop. Im gonna bake them 

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Jesus Max.  Where did you buy them from?  Why didn't the shop tell you to bake them?  Or offer to have them baked.  9 times out of 10 the shop will offer you a free bake when buying a new pair of skates.

+1.  I actually had my LHS offer to bake my used X900's when I got my Speedplates.  The fit and comfort was night and day after they were baked

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Jesus Max.  Where did you buy them from?  Why didn't the shop tell you to bake them?  Or offer to have them baked.  9 times out of 10 the shop will offer you a free bake when buying a new pair of skates.

i didnt buy them. My dad got me them for christmas, idk where he got them 

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

+1.  I actually had my LHS offer to bake my used X900's when I got my Speedplates.  The fit and comfort was night and day after they were baked

im gonna get them baked over winter break this week

5 minutes ago, Max27 said:

sorry im thickheaded

he said pure goalie. Im getting them baked this week

Take them to Pure Goalie and tell them you got them as a christmas gift and want to have them baked and they'll probably do it for free.  Tell pops to bring the receipt just in case.  Or, you can just go to the Rinx since you said you don't love gar from there and have them do it.  They will probably charge you though.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Take them to Pure Goalie and tell them you got them as a christmas gift and want to have them baked and they'll probably do it for free.  Tell pops to bring the receipt just in case.  Or, you can just go to the Rinx since you said you don't love gar from there and have them do it.  They will probably charge you though.

Ok will do, thansk

• 4 months later...

I have a pair of Bauer Reactor 4's that i bought used a couple years ago. What i do doesn't really warrant $600 skates so i took a chance on these. They were in like new condition. Not used much if at all. I was told before i decided to get them that they were baked. 

They're the most uncomfortable skates i have ever worn. It hurts to walk in them and they're noisy walking in them but on the ice i seem to notice less discomfort. Kinda weird. 

Anyway i did try re baking them for me but it didn't seem to make much difference. Should i try baking again or just chalk it up as a lesson learned to not buy baked skates. 

Right now about the only thing I like about them is that they're Bauer and they look good.

Any help or tips is welcomed please. 

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

I have a pair of Bauer Reactor 4's that i bought used a couple years ago. What i do doesn't really warrant $600 skates so i took a chance on these. They were in like new condition. Not used much if at all. I was told before i decided to get them that they were baked. 

They're the most uncomfortable skates i have ever worn. It hurts to walk in them and they're noisy walking in them but on the ice i seem to notice less discomfort. Kinda weird. 

Anyway i did try re baking them for me but it didn't seem to make much difference. Should i try baking again or just chalk it up as a lesson learned to not buy baked skates. 

Right now about the only thing I like about them is that they're Bauer and they look good.

Any help or tips is welcomed please. 

I assume by Reactor 4, you mean the 4000s? The white and blue ones. The cowling likes to make noise but it doesn't affect anything with the skate.

Some skates do feel uncomfortable to walk in, but fine on the ice. A skating motion is different than a walking motion. 

Have you tried different lacing techniques? When you're sitting down lacing a skate, it shouldn't be cranked down as tight as possible. Not only does your foot expand when you stand up, it expands even more when you perspire. You should definitely have some wiggle room when lacing it. I personally keep every eyelet super loose except the 2nd and 3rd from the top (where the ankles are) which should keep you secure. 

Where's the pain coming from? If it's arch pain, its obviously the footbed. The stock footbed on the low/mid line skates are thin pieces of foam to protect from the rivets with absolutely no support. If it's a cramping type of pain, the solution would be the lacing I described above. 

I still would absolutely re-bake the skates in an actual skate oven. A home convection oven is fine for spot treatments, but the first bake to your foot should definitely be in an oven designed to bake skates. The fact that they were baked before shouldn't make a difference, I re-bake mine once in a while too.

TL;DR:
1. Try lacing them looser around the foot, as your foot might be expanding into the quarter package as you sweat, causing cramps. Keep the ankles tight so they don't feel sloppy
2. Try a different footbed. Bauer Speedplate for high arches, Superfeet Carbon/Yellow for lower ones.
3. Rebake in an actual skate oven (try this before the other two, tbh).

Archived