Help with a helmet

Hello fellow members. I'm in desperate need for a new helmet. I'm currently playing in college hockey as well as a men's league, and well... my current helmet is just not cutting it anymore. Nearly everytime I take a shot to the head I get a ringer, and I've had a fair amount that have even stunned and dazed me, as well as having what I would believe as a concussion if not multiple. I have a history of concussions as well from other sports in the past. I really just need a helmet that is going to offer me the best protection for my head and I have no problem waiting for it. I'm looking at; Protechsport, OTNY, Masked Marvels, Sportmask, Warwick, or even ProsChoice (although it is more than I would like to spend). I know some of these helmets now have innegra while others are a full kevlar, or even a kevlar carbon mixture. Is the innegra better than a full kevlar shell? Also with the padding on the inside of the helmet, is there is one that is better than another?

Thank you guys for the help and advice as I really do need it in this circumstance.

We need a little bit more info to help you out bud... The biggest thing will be fit.  If you're looking at a high end mask materials and build quality should be close to on par.

Do you want a full custom mask, or just custom padded.  Are you in the US looking to capitalize on the exchange rate?  Lastly, does it need to be HECC certified?

I have a Sportmask and have nothing but great things to say about it.  Tony can also do a full custom mask for you if you provide a mold.  They are also merging with Otny so that covers both mask makers.

Bang for buck ProTechSport offers the best deal, but you're waiting 16-20 weeks.

Other options you didn't mention:

Coveted (hit and miss reviews of their products/customer service) - https://www.covetedmask.com/

Chad Warwick's Defender - https://defendergoaliemasks.com/products/custom-goalie-mask-1

Bauer NME VTX

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

We need a little bit more info to help you out bud... The biggest thing will be fit.  If you're looking at a high end mask materials and build quality should be close to on par.

Do you want a full custom mask, or just custom padded.  Are you in the US looking to capitalize on the exchange rate?  Lastly, does it need to be HECC certified?

I have a Sportmask and have nothing but great things to say about it.  Tony can also do a full custom mask for you if you provide a mold.  They are also merging with Otny so that covers both mask makers.

Bang for buck ProTechSport offers the best deal, but you're waiting 16-20 weeks.

Other options you didn't mention:

Coveted (hit and miss reviews of their products/customer service) - https://www.covetedmask.com/

Chad Warwick's Defender - https://defendergoaliemasks.com/products/custom-goalie-mask-1

Bauer NME VTX

I'm looking for preferable a full custom helmet as I feel that will offer me the best protection.

Capitalizing on the exchange rate isn't as important to me, I don't need it to be HECC certified either.

I know otny and sportsmask recently started using innegra in their helmets.

17 minutes ago, hockeyboy1002 said:

I'm looking for preferable a full custom helmet as I feel that will offer me the best protection.

Capitalizing on the exchange rate isn't as important to me, I don't need it to be HECC certified either.

I know otny and sportsmask recently started using innegra in their helmets.

Then it will come down to price.  Pro choice will be the most expensive but well worth it.  If you can wait, go ProTechSport. 

Sportmask/Otny or Defender by Chad Warwick would be the happy medium 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:34 PM, hockeyboy1002 said:

Hello fellow members. I'm in desperate need for a new helmet. I'm currently playing in college hockey as well as a men's league, and well... my current helmet is just not cutting it anymore. Nearly everytime I take a shot to the head I get a ringer, and I've had a fair amount that have even stunned and dazed me, as well as having what I would believe as a concussion if not multiple. I have a history of concussions as well from other sports in the past. I really just need a helmet that is going to offer me the best protection for my head and I have no problem waiting for it. I'm looking at; Protechsport, OTNY, Masked Marvels, Sportmask, Warwick, or even ProsChoice (although it is more than I would like to spend). I know some of these helmets now have innegra while others are a full kevlar, or even a kevlar carbon mixture. Is the innegra better than a full kevlar shell? Also with the padding on the inside of the helmet, is there is one that is better than another?

Thank you guys for the help and advice as I really do need it in this circumstance.

I own Masked Marvel Goalie Helmets, let me know if you have any questions about our mask lines. You can learn more at www.maskedmarvelhelmets.com

fullsizeoutput_700.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_683.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_882.jpeg

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggested masks as long as they are at the very least custom padded. Personally, I'm intrigued by a possible Sportmask/OTNY full custom mask with ECOproFOAM: not only great materials in the shell, but also more advanced padding than any other mask other than the Bauer NME VTX, which cannot obviously be ordered custom padded. Also going to be a much cheaper proposition than Pro's Choice since it is in CAD and cheaper to begin with.

If you haven't already, maybe reach out to a couple of companies and see what they say. You probably want to get your order in before the summer as things will get busy then with the custom guys making masks for the pros.

50 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggested masks as long as they are at the very least custom padded. Personally, I'm intrigued by a possible Sportmask/OTNY full custom mask with ECOproFOAM: not only great materials in the shell, but also more advanced padding than any other mask other than the Bauer NME VTX, which cannot obviously be ordered custom padded. Also going to be a much cheaper proposition than Pro's Choice since it is in CAD and cheaper to begin with.

If you haven't already, maybe reach out to a couple of companies and see what they say. You probably want to get your order in before the summer as things will get busy then with the custom guys making masks for the pros.

I just reached out to otny through goalie parts with a few questions. I thought about seeing about a vtx and then maybe padding it with the ecoprofoam, just because of how much i'd be able to get the vtx for currently

On 2/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, cwarnar said:

Then it will come down to price.  Pro choice will be the most expensive but well worth it.  If you can wait, go ProTechSport. 

Sportmask/Otny or Defender by Chad Warwick would be the happy medium 

I have no problem waiting, but would also like something a little bit sooner than later. I can get a nearly brand new vtx for $700 plus tax, so a little bit cheaper than the otny I was looking at, but the otny would definitely be more custom and I still have to double check how that vtx fits my head.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, cwarnar said:

Bang for buck ProTechSport offers the best deal

just do this.

There are many other well built masks, but few will fit and pad them to you. I can't remember ever reading of someone regretting getting a mask built by Michel. 

23 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

A lot of people miss this, but OTNY gives you a limited LIFETIME warranty on the shell and backplate.

https://goalieparts.com/warranty/

15 hours ago, craig said:

just do this.

There are many other well built masks, but few will fit and pad them to you. I can't remember ever reading of someone regretting getting a mask built by Michel. 

23 hours ago, hockeyboy1002 said:

I just reached out to otny through goalie parts with a few questions. I thought about seeing about a vtx and then maybe padding it with the ecoprofoam, just because of how much i'd be able to get the vtx for currently

I have no problem waiting, but would also like something a little bit sooner than later. I can get a nearly brand new vtx for $700 plus tax, so a little bit cheaper than the otny I was looking at, but the otny would definitely be more custom and I still have to double check how that vtx fits my head.

I would say do the ProtechSport first: it's by far the best bang for your buck. Of course it is slow, but the options and quality is amazing for the price and they also have a limited lifetime warranty on the shell. Full kevlar is $660CAD, which is $500 USD, can't beat that. While the VTX is a good retail mask, the fit will never be as good as the ProtechSport (I believe Michel has around 30 shells to choose from), the warranty is not as comprehensive, and you cannot talk to the guy who makes it directly. OTNY is a great choice if you need a custom padded mask right now, but if price matters ProtechSport is the way to go. Also if it matters OTNY and ProtechSport both make their products in Canada, so you would be supporting more local manufacturing jobs.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these masks, this knowledge just comes from years of reading this and other boards.

Archived