Dual knee injury, fat dolt, and seething rage

Moose75

So this is a new one for me. I am stunned that a grown-ass player at the tier 1 level could have the on-ice awareness of a tier 6 level player.

I was heels in the blue, he was close, but out more as a screen. His guy gets the puck and shoots as he keeps backing up. 250 pounds on my legs/knees in the butterfly position as the were likely hyperextended. I am screaming, dumbo apparently doesn't know what that means until the ref says "get the fuck off of him". Luckily, I do not think this is as severe as I thought, as I can hobble about, but I'm getting it checked tomorrow. Left knee on the inner side feels worse than the right. Feels less red hot when I walk a little, but feels like I was kicked.

Anyways, my team went on to battle, but at risk of wanting to kill the other team who kept try-harding at the empty net they stopped after 2 periods.

Their goalie was nice after the game and came in the locker room to see if I was better. He was terrified my team was gonna run him in retaliation, even though it technically wasn't done purposefully.

I'm just sore, pissed and venting. This sucks.

15 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Man, this sucks so much.  I'm sorry Moose, tough to read what happened to you.  

Being a goalie and human knees just don't play well for long, it seems.

Best wishes for you at the doctor tomorrow.  Try to stay positive in your thoughts.

Thanks man. I don't think it's as bad as it initially felt. It's definitely a injury, I'm just not the one to determine what it is, or how severe. I think I'll be good in a week or a few weeks. I've never felt that kind of pain during hockey, and I'm a chronic groin guy. I think it was just hyperextension.

It was basically this, just the whole dude landed on both legs.

5 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Thanks man. I don't think it's as bad as it initially felt. It's definitely a injury, I'm just not the one to determine what it is, or how severe. I think I'll be good in a week or a few weeks. I've never felt that kind of pain during hockey, and I'm a chronic groin guy. I think it was just hyperextension.

It was basically this, just the whole dude landed on both legs.

So like this, but both legs, and without a backup goalie on the bench, nervously looking away from the head coach!

Hate to read about this, dude. Pretty solid that he other goalie came to check on you after.

And major props to you for seeing a medical professional, instead of starting a thread like "A guy fell on my legs, kinda like this Smith play. Now diagnose me, so I can select the assessment (read: anecdote) I like the best, and convince myself it applies to me."

Hope you have a good and proper recovery; we're rooting for ya, @Moose75

18 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

And major props to you for seeing a medical professional, instead of starting a thread like "A guy fell on my legs, kinda like this Smith play. Now diagnose me, so I can select the assessment (read: anecdote) I like the best, and convince myself it applies to me."

Hope you have a good and proper recovery; we're rooting for ya, @Moose75

I feel like this post should be copied and pasted into every one of those WebMD threads.   All you young guys:  The money you spend now getting things diagnosed and corrected will pay off tenfold once you're older.   I was one of the "tough guys" who'd play through just about any injury and now my 42 year old knees, hips and back love to remind me of it. 

Moose, I'm glad your team recognized that it wasn't a deliberate play and didn't retaliate at the other goalie.  Hopefully someone crushed the dummy who didn't know the difference between screening the goalie and injuring him.  Get well soon man!

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I feel like this post should be copied and pasted into every one of those WebMD threads.   All you young guys:  The money you spend now getting things diagnosed and corrected will pay off tenfold once you're older.   I was one of the "tough guys" who'd play through just about any injury and now my 42 year old knees, hips and back love to remind me of it. 

Moose, I'm glad your team recognized that it wasn't a deliberate play and didn't retaliate at the other goalie.  Hopefully someone crushed the dummy who didn't know the difference between screening the goalie and injuring him.  Get well soon man!

Truth.

Maria Mountain is great about insisting there is no such thing as a "tweak."  Tweaks are injuries that should be addressed.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:05 AM, Moose75 said:

So this is a new one for me. I am stunned that a grown-ass player at the tier 1 level could have the on-ice awareness of a tier 6 level player.

I was heels in the blue, he was close, but out more as a screen. His guy gets the puck and shoots as he keeps backing up. 250 pounds on my legs/knees in the butterfly position as the were likely hyperextended. I am screaming, dumbo apparently doesn't know what that means until the ref says "get the fuck off of him". Luckily, I do not think this is as severe as I thought, as I can hobble about, but I'm getting it checked tomorrow. Left knee on the inner side feels worse than the right. Feels less red hot when I walk a little, but feels like I was kicked.

Anyways, my team went on to battle, but at risk of wanting to kill the other team who kept try-harding at the empty net they stopped after 2 periods.

Their goalie was nice after the game and came in the locker room to see if I was better. He was terrified my team was gonna run him in retaliation, even though it technically wasn't done purposefully.

I'm just sore, pissed and venting. This sucks.

Wow, that sucks. Wish you nothing but the best and a speedy recovery man

On 2/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, seagoal said:

Truth.

Maria Mountain is great about insisting there is no such thing as a "tweak."  Tweaks are injuries that should be addressed.

I love Maria, but I'll disagree with this.  I'm nearly 48.  I can go to bed healthy and wake up injured.  Or I'll do something stupid (whether in hockey or otherwise) and hurt myself in a minor way.  it usually goes away in a day.  Is it an injury?  Yes.  is it so minor as to require nothing but rest?  Most likely.  that to me is a tweak. 

4 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

I love Maria, but I'll disagree with this.  I'm nearly 48.  I can go to bed healthy and wake up injured.  Or I'll do something stupid (whether in hockey or otherwise) and hurt myself in a minor way.  it usually goes away in a day.  Is it an injury?  Yes.  is it so minor as to require nothing but rest?  Most likely.  that to me is a tweak. 

Fair enough.

But, resting would be addressing it. Keep in mind she deals mostly with young people who play 5 times a week.

I have good (sorta) news: wasn't anything major. No surgery, no tears. Two strained MCLs.

Oddly enough standing over the weekend helped them. Been icing them down, using compression sleeves at work, Motrin, nice warm showers to loosen them a little. Still walking gimpy, but walking.

I have two physical therapy sessions in the coming days. If it feels alright I'm gonna try a light walk on Thursday morning. 

If all goes well I should only miss 2-3 games as a goalie. Might take it slower though, as I have a tendency to rush back in.

Thanks for all the well wishes, fellas!

Well hello!!! Something very very similar happend to me last year, first week or two in January. But this time the dumbo came right into me....it was pickup. And he drove with the puck right into the crease and lost his balance. I was in the butterfly and boom, right ontop of me!!! The worst fuckn pain I have ever felt. 

I didn't go see a doctor and let it heal. I was on the ice week 5 and maybe a little too soon by week 6 a little better but you will feel a bit of pain when not playing. After a year I'm good on the ice. But I would stay off for 6 to 8 weeks and hit the bike. 

Keep us up to date. 

Good to hear things are better.

The situation above is a reason why I've stopped subbing for low level games, especially since your own D at that level just have a hard time with spatial awareness and understanding that I'm competent in my recoveries and don't need you stepping over me to try and block a shot.

Take your time with the MCL. I've had a tweak to my knee (situation above) that occurred and it took a good month of not playing hockey to get it to almost 100%.

From thew Swedish Allsvenskan league. 

The very next day after mine. Same kind of contact, almost same time in the first period, same aftermath, (likely) similar injures sustained.

This is some weird cosmic goalie synchronicity thing. Disclaimer; I've been watching too much Twin Peaks. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 4.17.53 PM.jpg

Archived