Pros and Cons of a Dangler

Peter36

The only time I played without one was when it broke durring a game and taking it off was the safer option. I've been hit there more times than I can count (7 is the highest I can go) so I would never consider intentionally playing without one.

Getting the right fit is a must. When I had my Ventus chesty, I had it dangle a lot lower. But when I switched to the CCM chesty, had to bring it up quite a bit because of the beefier chest. It kept getting tangled and restricted head movement. Once I got it dialed in, it's never impacted my vision or movement.

Far as the pros/cons go: Pros are very easy. Your throat isn't in constant danger of being crushed. Cons: If it's not fitted on right, then it'll impact movement of your head. But there are people who will swear by them and against them. My personal preference is to wear one. I like the extra safety of it.

Ive played games w a dangler+bib, dangler without bib, bib without dangler, and with neither.

What ive found-

Pros-

Helps with neck coverage and allows your neck to "breathe" more if you dont wear a bib underneath it

Cons-

"clanging" noise when you make pretty much any movement

visually gets annoying/ interferes with your visual of the puck

At the end of the day it comes down to a few things, 

(obviously)1. League rules on what goalies have to wear. my league personally mandates one or both of a neck guard and/or a dangler

2. what your values are. if you want to have more head movement, you probably dont want a dangler. If you want more coverage of your neck, and a little more puck impact, you may want to keep it. 

I’ve almost always wore one.  Yes they can be annoying.  But better thantaking a puck to the throat.  

My senior year  we had a camp before the season.  I decided I’m not going to wear the dangler.  I had a puck hit the bottom chin of my mask and it deflected down and hit me in the atoms apple.  Didn’t feel too special.  

Needless to say the dangler went back on.   

A lot of people don't like the dangler because of the rattling it causes. I found a few small strips of self-adhesive resilient foam (like the stuff used around doors for weatherproofing) neatly cut and strategically positioned on the inside surface of the dangler at the chin and in the area near the back of the jaw or closer to the ear tends to deaden a large amount of the rattle. You don't need a lot - I use much less than a square inch in total and it can be positioned so it's very hard to see if  you are concerned.

Another option is the way you tie your dangler. If you use slightly thicker cord (thin para-cord or a skate lace) by routing it the right way such that it is pinched between the dangler and mask, the cord acts as a damper minimizing the rattling.

8 hours ago, netminder said:

7 out of the 8 goalies in this years NHL Allstar game wore a dangler

Quick uses stuffed v4s that dont seal w/ basicaly no knee stacks, Lundqvist uses a glove so beefed up you cant close it, judging if something is good or not bc nhl goalies do it isnt a smart idea 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, Max27 said:

Quick uses stuffed v4s that dont seal w/ basicaly no knee stacks, Lundqvist uses a glove so beefed up you cant close it, judging if something is good or not bc nhl goalies do it isnt a smart idea 

I agree with the thought that we average folk shouldn’t just blindly copy the pros. However, the dangler provides no real competitive advantage (or belief of one) nor is it likely anyone finds it more comfortable than not having one. It basically only serves as protection therefore I think it was a pretty relevant comment. If the guys who seek every possible performance advantage are willing to deal with it and possibility decrease vision at the cost of protection I think that says something.

I've always used one. We had to have one when I was a kid and honestly in my decrepit age now it just makes sense to have another piece of protection around my throat.

I currently don't have one on my mask right now because my last one broke. A huge con for me is that I find the ones produced in the last few years are brittle crap. (I'm looking at you Bauer) That's three since my season started. For a piece of plastic, they aren't cheap either.

There was a thread about neck protection recently started by @Max27.

The gist: wear one, don't wear nothing.

Danglers are noisy and hit your shoulders and can break but they deflect impact.

Padded collars are hot and can be suffocating and don't deflect impact but rather absorb it.

They both work with pros and cons.

I run hot and easily feel suffocated so I wear a dangler with noise dampening lining on my mask.

Plus, I think danglers look good and I think collars look silly. 

No brainer for me. You gotta figure out what cons are worse for you.

Pro: piece of mind. 

It's actually improved my game. I used to not wear one and would get the odd hard shot to the neck (as every goalie does) and it got to the point I started flinching with every hard shot. Not ideal conditions to make a save. 

Got the dangler and am confident that it will protect my neck which led to more confidence and less flinching. 

4 hours ago, netminder said:

Sorry, was my fact unclear? Did i mention if its smart or suggest they copy it? Im glad you cherry picked out the part about me mentioning it being safer and how to keep it un-fogged. Thanks for your reply though?

im not doubting youre right, you are, in a lot of situations having a dangler probably will be safer. just the reasoning is questionable, and people shouldnt be doing things just bc pros do it. Pros have spent their entire time dialing in specs to cater to their specific style. What one goalie considers great one could consider terrible in terms of gear of choice

3 hours ago, Ryan W said:

I agree with the thought that we average folk shouldn’t just blindly copy the pros. However, the dangler provides no real competitive advantage (or belief of one) nor is it likely anyone finds it more comfortable than not having one. It basically only serves as protection therefore I think it was a pretty relevant comment. If the guys who seek every possible performance advantage are willing to deal with it and possibility decrease vision at the cost of protection I think that says something.

yeah

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

There was a thread about neck protection recently started by @Max27.

The gist: wear one, don't wear nothing.

Danglers are noisy and hit your shoulders and can break but they deflect impact.

Padded collars are hot and can be suffocating and don't deflect impact but rather absorb it.

They both work with pros and cons.

I run hot and easily feel suffocated so I wear a dangler with noise dampening lining on my mask.

Plus, I think danglers look good and I think collars look silly. 

No brainer for me. You gotta figure out what cons are worse for you.

yea exactly, just dont wear nothing. In dek hockey which i basically just use as practice i dont wear any neck guard and i got a stick to the throat and it didnt feel good. Its an indoor arena w no air conditioning tho so im not putting a collar on in that heat of that rink

@Peter36 the forum i made in the past abt this topic is right here

ultimatley, use what works for you. A dangler isnt for everyone, as is a bib style one. What works for us on this forum may not work for you. If youre unsure on if you want it or not, experiment. Try in practice(s) wearing just a bib, or just a dangler, and see if you enjoy the feeling of the bib not "getting in the way" as much

49 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

In my opinion if you can see bare skin on your neck while in your gear, a dangler is a great idea. Myself however, I am very much a "frightened turtle" in my gear, so no dangler.

dana-carvey-as-the-turtle-guy-during-nic

The question remains though - are you Turtley enough for the Turtle Club...?

TURTLE! TURTLE! TURTLE!

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Texans love swinging their big sticks

Thank god that video has spread everywhere. This is in my league. Neither of those teams are mine though. If I was that goalie I would've gone behind the net and took that kid out. Unfortunately this is the only time this sort of thing has been caught on video in my league.

15 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Texans love swinging their big sticks

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

index.png.43f73d9141e456805b28f547326324d8.png

There are teams called the Houston Hitmen and the Arlington Attack, and then the one we all love because it makes no sense. The Texas Tigers.

image.jpeg.d2b3c02b5b94513865c92b1818dc095c.jpeg

Rawr

I also forgot to mention that one of my teammate's legs was broken in 3 places by someone leading a hit with their knee. Welcome to Texas y'all.

51 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Thank god that video has spread everywhere. This is in my league. Neither of those teams are mine though. If I was that goalie I would've gone behind the net and took that kid out. Unfortunately this is the only time this sort of thing has been caught on video in my league.

You mean there’s more? 

Im glad the kid that fell down is okay 

Archived