Glove Cleaning / Sanitizing

estogoalie

I don't usually buy used gear, but I got a good deal on a glove locally that was lightly used, it doesn't really smell since it wasn't used much, but anyway I'm wondering what would be the best way to just give it some sort of cleaning? I was thinking maybe just dump some hot water (and a little soap maybe) in there and let it stay out in the sun a bit?

I use a surgical spirit / rubbing alcohol (its named differently around the world I think) plus water mix - one third surgical spirit, two thirds water in a spray bottle. Came across it on the old GSBB when I got a set of used P4's that absolutely stank and it works a treat. The alcohol in the surgical spirit kills the bacteria but dries pretty quickly

@estogoalie - couple ways.

1. If there is a SaniSport or Esporta service near you, that is the best as they designed to clean/disinfect items. These are commercial grade and work amazing. 

2. You could also snag a small Ozone generator ( I have one made by ScentLok) from Amazon or a hunting store. They work amazingly well for killing bacteria and eradicating smell. This is a non-professional version of the aforementioned commercial grade machines. Plus you can use it regularly to keep all of your gear fresh. Added benefit of the model I bought is it's battery powered. So we take it to tournaments and such to help keep the nastiness down from playing 4-5 games in a weekend. 

3. Oxiclean bath in warm water is great. Added the cleaning document from GGSU member here for you to download. Just follow it. 

4. Or  you could steam the glove and scrub/rinse with Shaving cream (women's skintimates works great). A toothbrush works great to get into the crevices of the finger stalls. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly so no residue is left. Process Steam the glove for a few minutes, apply shaving cream, scrub,  rinse, dry with fan. 

How To OxiClean Gear With Pictures.pdf

9 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I don't usually buy used gear, but I got a good deal on a glove locally that was lightly used, it doesn't really smell since it wasn't used much, but anyway I'm wondering what would be the best way to just give it some sort of cleaning? I was thinking maybe just dump some hot water (and a little soap maybe) in there and let it stay out in the sun a bit?

Do not use hot water. Modern gloves use multiple layers of foam or plastic and are frequently glued together.  Hot water can cause the glue to melt and cause these layers to separate.

Lukewarm water, clothing detergeant, and some Oxi Clean in a bathtub should be sufficient. Give it plenty of time to dry.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try spraying with rubbing alchol, and washing in the tub with some soap.

The ozone generator sounds interesting, never heard of that, but it says in the description "ONLY USE IN UNOCCUPIED SPACE", so how does that work, exactly? It's not safe to breath? Do you shut your gear up in a small closet or something and then run the ozone machine for a few hours?

49 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try spraying with rubbing alchol, and washing in the tub with some soap.

The ozone generator sounds interesting, never heard of that, but it says in the description "ONLY USE IN UNOCCUPIED SPACE", so how does that work, exactly? It's not safe to breath? Do you shut your gear up in a small closet or something and then run the ozone machine for a few hours?

Exactly.  I run it in my basement for three hours and usually start it right before I go to sleep.  Limited exposure won't harm you unless you have breathing problems like asthma (which I do) but you don't want to be there for long.  Ideal is a closet, but I use it to good effect in my basement and it works on things in the immediate area.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:52 AM, raucebyalien said:

I use a surgical spirit / rubbing alcohol (its named differently around the world I think) plus water mix - one third surgical spirit, two thirds water in a spray bottle. Came across it on the old GSBB when I got a set of used P4's that absolutely stank and it works a treat. The alcohol in the surgical spirit kills the bacteria but dries pretty quickly

I tried this. Rub Alcohol/Water in a 50/50 ratio and added a few drops of essence oil. Lemon.  Works well.  And cheeeeeeaap.  ;)

Archived