Rule Question, turning around after skating towards bench

BonesDT

If it’s the second period, and there’s a delayed penalty against the other team, and you, the goalie, start skating to the bench, and just as you cross the center line, one of your teammates passes the puck towards the empty net, what exactly is the penalty for turning around and returning to the net to stop the puck?

Has the replacement skater gotten on the ice yet? If so, that's too many men. 

P.s. Here's two rule questions as well, happened to me last night:

1) 2 on 1, puck carrier to my right comes in deep.  I commit short side to him, partially outside the crease to the right.  He dishes to the receiver who's dead center in the crease, slam dunk goal.  Refs deliberated on a crease violation.  Goal allowed.

2) Shot from the point, low stick side, i'm playing the angle above the crease.  Half butterfly stick save.  Guy behind me over my right shoulder.  He snags the rebound out of mid air, drops it in the crease, slam dunk behind me.  Goal allowed. 

USA Hockey rules.

As long as:

1) Your team hasn't put out a 6th skater yet and

2) You don't touch the puck until it is back on your side of the red line

I don't think it's a penalty. If you play the puck on the offensive side of the red line, it's a minor penalty, but there is no specific name associated with it. Both the NHL and USA Hockey rule books say the same thing:

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084483-rule-407-goalkeeper-penalties

If you already have 6 skaters out, it's too many men.

Doesn't matter because there's a bigger picture here: even if there's a 6th forward on the ice you turn back. One of two things happens - the puck goes into the net, in which case it's a moot point (you probably didn't touch it anyway), or you stop it and get a too-many-men penalty. Now it's even strength (4:4) for 2 minutes. I'd take that any day over a goal against.

I actually had a situation like this in house league a while back. It was a delayed penalty (turns out it wasn't. I asked ref afterwards and he said "he was stretching" 😶) so I skated all the way to the bench during the second period. I didn't hear my coach yelling "no penalty" until I was at the bench. A breakaway was just starting be the time I started skating away from the bench. I became the third defense resulting in a shot from the opposing team on the empty net. I jumped up, made  blocker save, fell back, and redirected the puck away from the net. Unfortunately I have no recording of this because it was at the Stars rink. All of this while wearing my Christmas jersey.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Has the replacement skater gotten on the ice yet? If so, that's too many men. 

P.s. Here's two rule questions as well, happened to me last night:

1) 2 on 1, puck carrier to my right comes in deep.  I commit short side to him, partially outside the crease to the right.  He dishes to the receiver who's dead center in the crease, slam dunk goal.  Refs deliberated on a crease violation.  Goal allowed.

2) Shot from the point, low stick side, i'm playing the angle above the crease.  Half butterfly stick save.  Guy behind me over my right shoulder.  He snags the rebound out of mid air, drops it in the crease, slam dunk behind me.  Goal allowed. 

USA Hockey rules.

Yeah - I'd like to hear comments on this too. It used to be crease violation if the player was in the crease before the puck, but either the rule is outdated (thinking Brett Hull's goal  some years back against Buffalo to win the cup) or ref's don't know/care.

Well the NHL has all but rendered the crease irrelevant, but USA Hockey does not.  I get whistles all the time for guys just being in the crease with no inbound shot or pass.

4 minutes ago, Colander said:

Yeah - I'd like to hear comments on this too. It used to be crease violation if the player was in the crease before the puck, but either the rule is outdated (thinking Brett Hull's goal  some years back against Buffalo to win the cup) or ref's don't know/care.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Well the NHL has all but rendered the crease irrelevant, but USA Hockey does not.  I get whistles all the time for guys just being in the crease with no inbound shot or pass.

I wish I had that. Unfortunately, it seems that USA Hockey has no control over Texas. I get hacked all the time in a crease no matter if a shot's coming or not. I also have guys pushing me around in the crease (I weigh nothing) and goals are still being counted against me despite this.

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I wish I had that. Unfortunately, it seems that USA Hockey has no control over Texas. I get hacked all the time in a crease no matter if a shot's coming or not. I also have guys pushing me around in the crease (I weigh nothing) and goals are still being counted against me despite this.

That sounds terrible.  Have you tried discussing or petitioning with the league admin?

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That sounds terrible.  Have you tried discussing or petitioning with the league admin?

The Dallas Stars own our league. It's called the Dallas Stars High School Hockey League. Plus I don't have that kind of time on my hands (and yet here I am on forums). Maybe I'll ask my dad to do it because watching me get hit every single game is starting to get to him too.

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The Dallas Stars own our league. It's called the Dallas Stars High School Hockey League. Plus I don't have that kind of time on my hands (and yet here I am on forums). Maybe I'll ask my dad to do it because watching me get hit every single game is starting to get to him too.

Try to get video to help make your case if it's really that bad.  USA Hockey is very responsive to claims if you go through them.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Try to get video to help make your case if it's really that bad.  USA Hockey is very responsive to claims if you go through them.

If I actually took the time to go through all this, I could probably make a 10-15 minute montage of all this shit (my apologies). I also have had a lot of school work lately. Maybe once summer starts I'll look into it if it continues.

5 hours ago, Colander said:

Doesn't matter because there's a bigger picture here: even if there's a 6th forward on the ice you turn back. One of two things happens - the puck goes into the net, in which case it's a moot point (you probably didn't touch it anyway), or you stop it and get a too-many-men penalty. Now it's even strength (4:4) for 2 minutes. I'd take that any day over a goal against.

Thanks guys. This is where I was going with it. I actually wrongfully thought it was a penalty to just skate past the center line, but I just learned it’s only about if you play the puck too.

But yah, always stop the goal, worry about a penalty later. 

If memory serves me, the rule that a goalie can't touch the puck on the far side of the red line was brought in because when he was with the Canucks in the early '70s, Gary ("Suitcase") Smith used to make regular forays beyond the red line with the puck because his D couldn't get he job done LOL.

As far as taking the penalty for too many men, I recall many years ago (around he same time Smith was running his rushes across the red line)  there was an empty net when the other team got control  - the defending goalie , at that point on the bench , threw his stick in vane to try to stop the shot. After the game he was asked about it and he said he figured if by some stroke of luck he prevented the goal , he would gladly take the penalty shot. While today I think it would be automatically assigned a goal, back then it wasn't clear what would happen - clearly this guy was an early example of thinking outside the box.

Archived