Sherwood Back for 2019?

TheGoalNet

I think that graphic's terrible — it just looks like someone just threw a bunch of lines and wedges on a rectangular surface, without idea of how they'd flow with the 'canvas',. There's too much going on, and at the same time, there's no particular line or shape that stands out, or feels likely to become recognizable. To each their own, I'm sure some people will like it. Seems like a rather jumbled, forgettable mess from where I'm standing.

I'm more concerned with the fact that their new stick (line?) name is "Rekker". Reminds me of when Warrior had those god-awful names like "Kronik", "Swagger", "Messiah", and "Mac Daddy"... are they just targeting the teenage demographic? Either way, sounds like a soft rebrand gone wrong. I'm sure the people at Sherwood have considered all sorts of solutions to help their ailing brand... and I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying some, "We've got to show this is a new Sherwood, this ain't your father's Sherwood!" marketing tactic. Personally, I think they'd be remiss in casting aside the following their classic, iconic Sherwood brand garnered over all these decades in favor for some limp-dick appeal to the younger crowd. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a modern pad, or have a modern graphic, or any of that — innovation is key to succeeding in the current goalie market, and Sherwood definitely does need to show that they've done some refreshing. I just think a 180-degree pivot to "Rekker" is transparent, and pretty lame.

This particular set of pads are made in Canada. I can confirm that. No one will tell me future specifics... but here are the two paths I think we will see

1. Sherwood is back as an SKU for PHL, Sportchek, Le Treio, etc. This would be their way of having "pro" gear to compete with Passau, Kenesky, McKenney, etc. If they go this route... will be curious to see if they do the retail version made in Canada or not. The set of pads pictured was made in Canada as a prototype for this idea.

2. This set of pads was built to explore option 1. They decided NOT to peruse it and it will be used marketing and promotional shoots only.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I'm more concerned with the fact that their new stick (line?) name is "Rekker". Reminds me of when Warrior had those god-awful names like "Kronik", "Swagger", "Messiah", and "Mac Daddy"... 

Sher-Wood has been selling Rekker composite player sticks for years. They're usually the lightest stick out there for players. So it's just keeping that line.

They shot the 5030 line in the foot when they went China made and they all stunk so bad. By the time they tried to recover, the market had left them in the dust.

Shame the pads aren't a real line. Would be cool if they could make decent light as heck pads at a killer price.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This particular set of pads are made in Canada. I can confirm that. No one will tell me future specifics... but here are the two paths I think we will see

1. Sherwood is back as an SKU for PHL, Sportchek, Le Treio, etc. This would be their way of having "pro" gear to compete with Passau, Kenesky, McKenney, etc. If they go this route... will be curious to see if they do the retail version made in Canada or not. The set of pads pictured was made in Canada as a prototype for this idea.

2. This set of pads was built to explore option 1. They decided NOT to peruse it and it will be used marketing and promotional shoots only.

The pics floating around of the new McKenney line sure look a lot like these pads.

25 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Could we see Lehner use these? He used sherwood pads in Ottawa

I like the graphic. Looks a little busy, but can look good w the right colors.

Toronto+Maple+Leafs+v+Ottawa+Senators+DbeCLgjSlU3x.jpg

Not a chance... As a guy that is very gear specific, and having the year he is, not way does he switch.  Recall that Sherwood also is not paying fees at the NHL level for marketing:

image.thumb.png.97c11d7c43b58f466940decccb4ddee2.png

I doubt they try and get NHL level guys to switch.

24 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Not a chance... As a guy that is very gear specific, and having the year he is, not way does he switch.  Recall that Sherwood also is not paying fees at the NHL level for marketing:

image.thumb.png.97c11d7c43b58f466940decccb4ddee2.png

I doubt they try and get NHL level guys to switch.

yeah true. i doubt hed switch, would be cool though haha

I remember he was a mess last season w gear

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

yeah true. i doubt hed switch, would be cool though haha

I remember he was a mess last season w gear

I think it would be tough for him to switch now that it's been so many years. He switched out of Sherwood and into Vaughn I believe before Sherwood 'expired' in the league.

His former teammate Craig Anderson was a Sherwood guy to the end, so he might be more likely to switch if it were to ever get to the NHL. However, a season or two later he also had to switch mask makers from Dillon (also the last goalie in the NHL to use that mask) into a Pro's Choice. His first Pro's Choice was made as a clone of his Dillon, and he said it still took him some time to get used to it, but once he did it was weird to go back. So I think for a lot of these guys, unless they're like Mike Green asking fans to give back signed Easton S16 sticks because he still wants to use them, most guys who were previously in the product are just as likely to switch as anyone else.

I could be wrong though, I'm not a pro or involved in that world.

36 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I think it would be tough for him to switch now that it's been so many years. He switched out of Sherwood and into Vaughn I believe before Sherwood 'expired' in the league.

His former teammate Craig Anderson was a Sherwood guy to the end, so he might be more likely to switch if it were to ever get to the NHL. However, a season or two later he also had to switch mask makers from Dillon (also the last goalie in the NHL to use that mask) into a Pro's Choice. His first Pro's Choice was made as a clone of his Dillon, and he said it still took him some time to get used to it, but once he did it was weird to go back. So I think for a lot of these guys, unless they're like Mike Green asking fans to give back signed Easton S16 sticks because he still wants to use them, most guys who were previously in the product are just as likely to switch as anyone else.

yeah true. doubt he would switch at all haha hes doing fantastic

17 hours ago, aircanuck said:

Do I get Canadian Tire money if I buy a set?

Remember when you could proudly walk in on a bright, sunny Saturday morning, inhale deeply and have your nostrils filled with the scents of rubber, myriad automotive fluids, air fresheners, and chocolates being sold by a kids team, proceed to the cash, proudly slam down a HUGE wad of bills, ignore the cashier's dismayed sigh (cus this is your special day, not hers!), and 2 minutes later walk out with what felt like a free... spark plug for your lawnmower. LOL!

15 hours ago, Max27 said:

Could we see Lehner use these? He used sherwood pads in Ottawa

I like the graphic. Looks a little busy, but can look good w the right colors.

Toronto+Maple+Leafs+v+Ottawa+Senators+DbeCLgjSlU3x.jpg

This Sher-wood and that Sher-Wood have nothing in common. Those pads were made by @WGD and Passau ( @GoalieTimmy33 ) before that. The Passau gear was partially designed by Francis Allaire.

That new Sher-Wood gear is someone's basic design with Sher-Wood logos.

If Canadian Tire wants to launch this... They could. They have deep pockets and could pay the NHL fee if they felt that would help sell gear.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This Sher-wood and that Sher-Wood have nothing in common. Those pads were made by @WGD and Passau ( @GoalieTimmy33 ) before that. The Passau gear was partially designed by Francis Allaire.

That new Sher-Wood gear is someone's basic design with Sher-Wood logos.

If Canadian Tire wants to launch this... They could. They have deep pockets and could pay the NHL fee if they felt that would help sell gear.

ah, did not know that

Canadian tire should launch this. i think the graphic has a lot of potential too look awesome

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, TitanG said:

No fucking way!!  Is he really doing that????? :rofl:

"Fans who I have given signed sticks in the past.  If the stick says Easton S16 I will pay you to ship them back to Detroit at which time I will mail you a new signed 'other' type of stick and a puck in return."

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No fucking way!!  Is he really doing that????? :rofl:

"Fans who I have given signed sticks in the past.  If the stick says Easton S16 I will pay you to ship them back to Detroit at which time I will mail you a new signed 'other' type of stick and a puck in return."

It was when he was still with the Caps: https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/03/04/mike-green-is-playing-with-an-easton-stealth-stick-that-was-discontinued-almost-a-decade-ago/

Archived