Professor Strap or Lundy Loop

gdhofeli

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here and I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times but i can't seem to find an answer. I've been looking for ways to have my pads sit up higher on my skates. I have never used the professor strap and from everything I've seen that seems to keep the pads higher than the Lundy loop. if somebody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it. 

Also if anybody has installed the professor strap on a set of CCM Premiers and has any tips that would be awesome.

I recently made a professor strap for my Vaughn pads and it's the best mod I've ever done to my gear. It does pull the pads up a little higher and doesn't restrict rotation at all. I can't say anything for or against the Lundy loop because I've never used one.

The Lundy loop won't cause your pads to sit higher, but it will allow them to move higher when going into the butterfly.  That's also just a function of having no boot strap, not just specifically putting the strap through the loop. 

loosening your toe laces can make it sit higher due to your foot being less tightly connected to the pad. If you look at guys like Jared Coreau, his pads sit very high on his skates and a big contribution towards that is the loose toe laces. Heres a pic- (from @Lucky Pucker a few months ago, just searched Jared Coreau on the search bar on here to find it)

Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 11.23.22 AM.png

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

loosening your toe laces can make it sit higher due to your foot being less tightly connected to the pad. If you look at guys like Jared Coreau, his pads sit very high on his skates and a big contribution towards that is the loose toe laces. Heres a pic- (from @Lucky Pucker a few months ago, just searched Jared Coreau on the search bar on here to find it)

Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 11.23.22 AM.png

Hmm, not sure about that Max. 

Loose toe ties all a looser connection of your skate and pad in the butterfly, allowing the tops of the pads to more freely close because they're being pulled less at the toe. This, of course,  requires  loose bootstrap as well.  

A tight bootstrap will negate both loose toe ties and a professor strap.

Pads sitting high standing straight up like in that pic is not because of loose toe ties. There's got to something pulling or holding them up which is essentially what a professor strap does.

11 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hmm, not sure about that Max. 

Loose toe ties all a looser connection of your skate and pad in the butterfly, allowing the tops of the pads to more freely close because they're being pulled less at the toe. This, of course,  requires  loose bootstrap as well.  

A tight bootstrap will negate both loose toe ties and a professor strap.

Pads sitting high standing straight up like in that pic is not because of loose toe ties. There's got to something pulling or holding them up which is essentially what a professor strap does.

ive messed around w my toe ties on different loosenesses and found the same effect on coreaus, and when i tightened them i found it pulled them down a little bit. My strapping on my pads could factor into it but idk. I got the same effect of having the loose lace section from the toe bar and the knots ride up the toe cap.

I have a leather strap at the top of my calf that i use as a proffessor strap type strap, its not at directly the top of my calf but its pretty close to where a professor strap would be, so that wouldnt be pulling the pad up either

12 minutes ago, Max27 said:

ive messed around w my toe ties on different loosenesses and found the same effect on coreaus, and when i tightened them i found it pulled them down a little bit. My strapping on my pads could factor into it but idk. I got the same effect of having the loose lace section from the toe bar and the knots ride up the toe cap.

I have a leather strap at the top of my calf that i use as a proffessor strap type strap, its not at directly the top of my calf but its pretty close to where a professor strap would be, so that wouldnt be pulling the pad up either

Fair enough.

Tight toe ties will pull a pad down for sure but loose toe ties don't push a pad up.

Something else has to do that, typically a professor strap.  That is why so many of us who use professor straps ditch bootstraps and opt for bungee toe ties.

28 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Fair enough.

Tight toe ties will pull a pad down for sure but loose toe ties don't push a pad up.

Something else has to do that, typically a professor strap.  That is why so many of us who use professor straps ditch bootstraps and opt for bungee toe ties.

yeah i get what you mean. It forsure wont really push it up but it seems to let the pad "relax" a little bit and slide a little higher 

7 hours ago, Max27 said:

For those considering wearing your pads like this, you will need to also adjust the sizing on your pads when ordering from the manufacturer, or else your knees will land too low in the knee block, and the engineered flex points may not work as intended.  The shin needs to be shortened compared to what you typically order.

I am willing to bet pros that are wearing their pads like this are using it as a workaround for the NHL sizing restrictions.  They take an inch off the shin and move it to the thigh, then use an RRC/Scrivens strap so the pad sits higher on their leg.

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

For those considering wearing your pads like this, you will need to also adjust the sizing on your pads when ordering from the manufacturer, or else your knees will land too low in the knee block, and the engineered flex points may not work as intended.  The shin needs to be shortened compared to what you typically order.

I am willing to bet pros that are wearing their pads like this are using it as a workaround for the NHL sizing restrictions.  They take an inch off the shin and move it to the thigh, then use an RRC/Scrivens strap so the pad sits higher on their leg.

yea i dont think anyone should wear their pads that tall haha but its an option if you want them to sit higher 

Archived