Cut-Across

estogoalie

I filmed my kid getting beat on a similar type of goal that I have also been struggling with, and can't seem to find the answer to. When someone comes breaking in on a break-away down the side, usually with a fair amount of speed, and then cuts across in front, and flips it into the far side that is wide open....how do you stop that? Poke-check is one possibility, but let's skip that for now, because they can be out of reach, or could deke around. The best I would say, would be to move up further and match the attackers speed coming back, and hope to slide to the far side. But still, you'll probably be sprawling, and leave some net open above the pads.

...any other ideas?

I see a couple mistakes, and the three backcheckers coasting doesn’t help at all ...

goalie committed before shot release

passive upright butterfly (should lean to his right and project gloves forward) into the puck 

Based on camera angle, depth is hard to gauge but it looks like he could be a bit more aggressive and out of the blue paint 

Nice post.  Good to see new technique topics.

In the video the initial drop is too passive and straight down with the attempt to slide over to the blocker side happening too late.

You know the classic inverted Y theory of breakaways? Planning to end an aggressive slide backwards and sideways landing at a post when you start in the middle?

That would still apply to this play in the video.  Had the initial drop more aggressive with backwards and sideways momentum off a push, the shooters speed could have been better matched and his momentum to that blocker post better matched.

Like Chenner said, the butterfly is too passive and static starting the initial motion too deep without momentum.

OR you could lunge forward hands first to block the shooters path ala Tim Thomas. Not advisable and risky, but damnit it's so fun to watch :)

Just a suggestion, on p55 of On Goaltending by Jacques Plante, "when a player cuts 15 feet in front of the net, move toward him and in the same direction as he is skating". I don't know how to post the 4 illustrations but the first shows the player coming on the goalie's right and cutting across in front of him to the left. At the start of the illustrations, the goalie is squared up at the top of his crease and to his right. The angle is covered, in other words.  In the following 3 illustrations, the skater cuts in front to the goalie's left. As the skater does so, the goalie moves with the skater to the goalie's left but also projects forward narrowing the space between the skater and the goalie while remaining square to the net. I hope this makes some sense but it does work. Anyway, out of all the literature out there, this book is the only one of which I am aware to address the specific situation outlined by Esto. What Plante describes is similar to what BadAngle suggests with the key commonality being to project forward while moving laterally. I can cite you a passage but I've never been able to do it in real life. 

11 hours ago, Fullright said:

Just a suggestion, on p55 of On Goaltending by Jacques Plante, "when a player cuts 15 feet in front of the net, move toward him and in the same direction as he is skating". I don't know how to post the 4 illustrations but the first shows the player coming on the goalie's right and cutting across in front of him to the left. At the start of the illustrations, the goalie is squared up at the top of his crease and to his right. The angle is covered, in other words.  In the following 3 illustrations, the skater cuts in front to the goalie's left. As the skater does so, the goalie moves with the skater to the goalie's left but also projects forward narrowing the space between the skater and the goalie while remaining square to the net. I hope this makes some sense but it does work. Anyway, out of all the literature out there, this book is the only one of which I am aware to address the specific situation outlined by Esto. What Plante describes is similar to what BadAngle suggests with the key commonality being to project forward while moving laterally. I can cite you a passage but I've never been able to do it in real life. 

Can you maybe try taking pictures with your phone and posting directly?

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, estogoalie said:

I filmed my kid getting beat on a similar type of goal that I have also been struggling with, and can't seem to find the answer to. When someone comes breaking in on a break-away down the side, usually with a fair amount of speed, and then cuts across in front, and flips it into the far side that is wide open....how do you stop that? Poke-check is one possibility, but let's skip that for now, because they can be out of reach, or could deke around. The best I would say, would be to move up further and match the attackers speed coming back, and hope to slide to the far side. But still, you'll probably be sprawling, and leave some net open above the pads.

...any other ideas?

I might be late but it’s a fairly easy save if he slides with a tiny bit more speed and PROJECT HANDS FORWARD it is incredible how good it works. If he tries to do a one hand goalie can stop with his right foot and either go in splits or just stop moving and simple butterfly won’t be able to score

15 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

I might be late but it’s a fairly easy save if he slides with a tiny bit more speed and PROJECT HANDS FORWARD it is incredible how good it works. If he tries to do a one hand goalie can stop with his right foot and either go in splits or just stop moving and simple butterfly won’t be able to score

AH... I long for the days when I could simply "... go in splits or just stop moving..." Like a good nap... splits are wasted on the young as they won't appreciate them until they're gone.

I suggest a diving to the side, leading with the blocker and paddle, forward/sideways moving reverse pad stack, rolling onto the back Hasek-esque into full snow-angel.  The key is leading with the blocker and paddle as close to the shooter's stick as possible.  Sometimes you get beat wide and deked around, but when you make the save, it looks FANTASTIC!!

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

AH... I long for the days when I could simply "... go in splits or just stop moving..." Like a good nap... splits are wasted on the young as they won't appreciate them until they're gone.

I've already lost naptime and I'm struggling to keep my splits where they are (not great). I just got into high school, it'll probably only get worse from here on out. I miss when I could do full splits ☹️

1 hour ago, Naz said:

I suggest a diving to the side, leading with the blocker and paddle, forward/sideways moving reverse pad stack, rolling onto the back Hasek-esque into full snow-angel.  The key is leading with the blocker and paddle as close to the shooter's stick as possible.  Sometimes you get beat wide and deked around, but when you make the save, it looks FANTASTIC!!

I did that today in a game! I actually caught all player, and little or no puck - but no goal on the play. And I looked hella-cool too. Splits? Pffft - screw that shit! 

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I did that today in a game! I actually caught all player, and little or no puck - but no goal on the play. And I looked hella-cool too. Splits? Pffft - screw that shit! 

Yup. often you can catch all player and send them flying.  Only problem with this, is I have done that and did not let go of my stick, wrenched my shoulder pretty bad as his skate hooked onto my stick.

1 minute ago, Naz said:

Yup. often you can catch all player and send them flying.  Only problem with this, is I have done that and did not let go of my stick, wrenched my shoulder pretty bad as his skate hooked onto my stick.

Ouch. I certainly picked my spot on this one today; there are some skaters I wouldn’t try it on though. All joking aside, getting hurt negates the cool factor - especially if you’re not getting paid to play.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ouch. I certainly picked my spot on this one today; there are some skaters I wouldn’t try it on though. All joking aside, getting hurt negates the cool factor - especially if you’re not getting paid to play.

It's super cool tho... especially when as you are going down, glove laid on top the pad, and the shooter put it right into the glove... opportunity for a stuPENdous Windmill and monkey roll combo!

As for getting hurt.. meh, I still use the move LOL

4 minutes ago, Naz said:

It's super cool tho... especially when as you are going down, glove laid on top the pad, and the shooter put it right into the glove... opportunity for a stuPENdous Windmill and monkey roll combo!

As for getting hurt.. meh, I still use the move LOL

LOL! For me, when one gets shot right into my trapper - but all the skaters seem to think it was a glove save - I usually just lie down and take a rest rather than windmill it. Makes it look like a Herculean effort, and... well, energy conservation. 

Archived