Team struggling, Im thriving. Common or uncommon?

Max27

Title speaks for itself but allow me to explain still.

A team in a league i play in just moved up an age group so a lot of their guys are 12-13 years old. The age group is 12-16 so theyre probably the youngest team in the age group. Their goalie didnt stay with them, so they needed one. I was asked to play, so I said "fuck it, a little more playing time, ill do it". Im not "tooting my own horn" but the team is playing like garbage, but im not. Its weird. We are 2-6 right now, and I have a 2.5 GAA. Their offense is hilariously bad, they have 12 goals for in 8 GP. Im not saying this is a bad thing at all- I like playing for this team. I know going in, im getting tested a lot and it gives me time to try new things with my style of play, and attempt to improve my play. Does anyone have a situation like this, where the team sucks and your stats would make it seem like the teams pretty solid? 

honestly, i envy you a lot. my team won the league championship (jv) and we were far and away the best team, the team we played in the finals had no business being there to be honest, but i played not so good in the final game as i let in 3 goals on 6 shots, all from one guy too. it's hard playing on a really good team and staying warmed up in games. most games i got hardly any action, so it really sucks that i can't prove my true worth to my team, because i know i'm better than what's been shown in games.

in situations like yours it's not uncommon for the goalie to be lights out and their team the opposite. of course i hate losing but i'd rather feel like i had a bigger part in helping my team win or giving them a chance to, not to be cocky at all or anything, i just felt left out in some of the games we even won.  

32 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

honestly, i envy you a lot. my team won the league championship (jv) and we were far and away the best team, the team we played in the finals had no business being there to be honest, but i played not so in the final game as i let in 3 goals on 6 shots, all from one guy too. it's hard playing on a really good team and staying warmed up in games. most games i got hardly any action, so it really sucks that i can't prove my true worth to my team, because i know i'm better than what's been shown in games.

Yeah i get that, on a team i used to play on i played a few games where i felt like i shouldve lost with how i played. Thankfully, I had a goalie partner who bailed my ass out because hes way better than i am 

33 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

in situations like yours it's not uncommon for the goalie to be lights out and their team the opposite. of course i hate losing but i'd rather feel like i had a bigger part in helping my team win or giving them a chance to, not to be cocky at all or anything, i just felt left out in some of the games we even won.  

I felt in the 2 games we won that i very much helped them win, not trying to be cocky at all, although i know it sounds it. The 2 games weve won were 4-1 and 3-2, and the 4-1 win was the only one i feel like I didnt have to be ontop of my game in order for them to have a chance to win (I remember it so well bc it was my debut w them) they had a good surge of offense at the end and i gave up a pretty good goal at the end of the 3rd. 

I feel as much as i will hold this team in games, and as much as i feel theres games im their best player, i cant help but blame myself at one point for the lack of success. Ill be told 24/7 by the coach and team how good ive been for them, and i cant help but think "Have I been though?" Like theres a reason were 2-6. There comes a point where its repeated so much where I think "yeah, theyre just saying it for the sake of saying it." Maybe im just being hard on myself, idk 

• 4 weeks later...

I played JV this season and had to absolutely carry the team. About half of our team was fresh from skating academy and we somehow leveled JV Gold. I was also asked to play 14U house last night and got a shutout in half ice 3 on 3 which is unheard of. The other goalie had better looking gear though ☹️

I played 18U house this season as well and got around 50 shots a game while only letting in 3-4. House league in Texas is hilariously bad.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, Max27 said:

A team in a league i play in just moved up an age group so a lot of their guys are 12-13 years old. The age group is 12-16 so theyre probably the youngest team in the age group. Their goalie didnt stay with them, so they needed one. I was asked to play, so I said "fuck it, a little more playing time, ill do it". Im not "tooting my own horn" but the team is playing like garbage, but im not. Its weird. We are 2-6 right now, and I have a 2.5 GAA. Their offense is hilariously bad, they have 12 goals for in 8 GP. Im not saying this is a bad thing at all- I like playing for this team. I know going in, im getting tested a lot and it gives me time to try new things with my style of play, and attempt to improve my play. Does anyone have a situation like this, where the team sucks and your stats would make it seem like the teams pretty solid? 

Yeah... definitely have had that. Personal stats don't usually matter much when your team doesn't win... no matter how good those personal stats are. No different than a good pitcher who doesn't have run support. Sometimes I can't decide which is worse... what the team does at the other end (for however briefly the puck is down there) or what they do in our own end. More often than not I find that in such situations I have to remind myself that my job is simply to keep pucks out of the net... regardless of how many I see... and how they ended up at my doorstep. All you can end up doing is your best to keep them in it... keep it close... give them a chance.

SUPER frustrating at times though. 

This is one of the oldest goalie problems known to modern hockey civilization. There are many cases where a poor goalie on a great team with fantastic offense will win games and championships over a great goalie on a crummy team. If they score at will, you can generally overcome a few soft goals.  Goalies can steal a game for you *if* the offense is even half as good as the goalie. But unless the great goalie can score, goalies can’t win with a bad offense.

As goalies, we are in many cases expected to bail put the skaters’ bad game. But at least you’re seeing the silver lining in being able to try new things; after all- it sounds like you’re given plenty of opportunities!

I know some goalies that would WHINE WHINE WHINE about “no goal support”, and “always feeling like a wet sheet-hung out to dry!”. As long as you can handle this and you can play in a league where the talent is more evenly matched, it shouldn’t drive you too crazy! When it does, move to the next opportunity. 

3 hours ago, MTH said:

Do you play with my son? This is his goalie's story too.

How is the age group 12-16? Pretty big spread. Usually you're grouped 12U, 14U, 16U or by birth year as my son's team is (2006).

possibly, do you live on Long Island?

The age group is 12-16 bc its hardly a league, its a shitty dek hockey league with no qualifications to play in it. it definetley is a massive age spread thoug

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Yeah... definitely have had that. Personal stats don't usually matter much when your team doesn't win... no matter how good those personal stats are. No different than a good pitcher who doesn't have run support. Sometimes I can't decide which is worse... what the team does at the other end (for however briefly the puck is down there) or what they do in our own end. More often than not I find that in such situations I have to remind myself that my job is simply to keep pucks out of the net... regardless of how many I see... and how they ended up at my doorstep. All you can end up doing is your best to keep them in it... keep it close... give them a chance.

SUPER frustrating at times though. 

yeah definetley frustrating, but i played for free and got a little extra work in

i finished the season with a 2-8 record, with a 2.23 GAA (they dont count save %) the team sucked so bad lol 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

This is one of the oldest goalie problems known to modern hockey civilization. There are many cases where a poor goalie on a great team with fantastic offense will win games and championships over a great goalie on a crummy team. If they score at will, you can generally overcome a few soft goals.  Goalies can steal a game for you *if* the offense is even half as good as the goalie. But unless the great goalie can score, goalies can’t win with a bad offense.

As goalies, we are in many cases expected to bail put the skaters’ bad game. But at least you’re seeing the silver lining in being able to try new things; after all- it sounds like you’re given plenty of opportunities!

I know some goalies that would WHINE WHINE WHINE about “no goal support”, and “always feeling like a wet sheet-hung out to dry!”. As long as you can handle this and you can play in a league where the talent is more evenly matched, it shouldn’t drive you too crazy! When it does, move to the next opportunity. 

yeah exactly

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I played JV this season and had to absolutely carry the team. About half of our team was fresh from skating academy and we somehow leveled JV Gold. I was also asked to play 14U house last night and got a shutout in half ice 3 on 3 which is unheard of. The other goalie had better looking gear though ☹️

I played 18U house this season as well and got around 50 shots a game while only letting in 3-4. House league in Texas is hilariously bad.

The goalie that lost had the better looking gear? Sounds like me.

also, San Diego house leagues are terribad. People are toxic as hell. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, Max27 said:

This happens. You will go through streak where you stink and your team is keeping you in games 6-5. 

From my opinion, this post is just bad.

You should be solely focused on continuing to keep your team in the game. You should also focus on being a good teammate with good energy. Your teammates know they’re stinking and your positive attitude can help keep them loose. 

There’s no I in team, who cares how well you’re playing if you are constantly losing? 

39 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

This happens. You will go through streak where you stink and your team is keeping you in games 6-5. 

You should be solely focused on continuing to keep your team in the game. You should also focus on being a good teammate with good energy. Your teammates know they’re stinking and your positive attitude can help keep them loose. 

There’s no I in team, who cares how well you’re playing if you are constantly losing? 

Actually, this ^ is the post that should be taken to heart @Max27 It has been so long since I have been a member of a team. Drop in does that to you.

Being a sub will do that to you, as well. Are you going to be a permanent part of the team? If so, get invested and  give some vibes to your team. The guy who carries the team on his back has the opportunity to be the team leader; of course as goalies, we’ll never get the “C” or “A” sewn on our sweater, but you can still be a leader in trying to give as much positive energy as possible. 

Just had to get a bit more perspective.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yeah Ive kept a positive attitude through all the games. In pretty much every game we lost, we lost by 1 goal. Ive done my best to keep them in everything and its payed off in the playoffs so far. Its all ive tried to do, is keep them loose and have them feel like theyre in the game because of me. I like to talk with them a lot and keep them motivated. 

53 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Actually, this ^ is the post that should be taken to heart @Max27 It has been so long since I have been a member of a team. Drop in does that to you.

Being a sub will do that to you, as well. Are you going to be a permanent part of the team? If so, get invested and  give some vibes to your team. The guy who carries the team on his back has the opportunity to be the team leader; of course as goalies, we’ll never get the “C” or “A” sewn on our sweater, but you can still be a leader in trying to give as much positive energy as possible. 

Just had to get a bit more perspective.

I was just a sub for this team. I know that I wont return to this team because Im trying to work on just ice as tryouts come up for my highschool team. I might come back to them after tryouts though. I had fun playing for them I just dont have the time to. I work with my goalie coach 3 times a week, I play on 3 teams, Im in school, and Im trying to get a job

6 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Yeah Ive kept a positive attitude through all the games. In pretty much every game we lost, we lost by 1 goal. Ive done my best to keep them in everything and its payed off in the playoffs so far. Its all ive tried to do, is keep them loose and have them feel like theyre in the game because of me. I like to talk with them a lot and keep them motivated. 

I was just a sub for this team. I know that I wont return to this team because Im trying to work on just ice as tryouts come up for my highschool team. I might come back to them after tryouts though. I had fun playing for them I just dont have the time to. I work with my goalie coach 3 times a week, I play on 3 teams, Im in school, and Im trying to get a job

Gotcha. I can certainly understand how you would not be too vested. 

You have a lot on your plate. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Gotcha. I can certainly understand how you would not be too vested. 

You have a lot on your plate. 

Yeah forsure, Im trying to get as much action as i can before my HS tryouts (April 29th) 

Thinking about that for a minute, Ive come a long way. Ive caught up to kids playing their whole lives in 2 years

6 hours ago, Max27 said:

Thinking about that for a minute, Ive come a long way. Ive caught up to kids playing their whole lives in 2 years

Confidence is great... but it leaves a person far faster than it builds itself back up. Best to let others say those things about you than to say them yourself IMO. 

9 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Confidence is great... but it leaves a person far faster than it builds itself back up. Best to let others say those things about you than to say them yourself IMO. 

Yeah I hardly ever give myself confidence building things. An action I make will speak louder than any words I can say would

I wanna leave myself wanting better than what im at. If i make the JV team this year, my next goal is to make the varsity team as a senior. I set a goal for myself that I knew would be hard so I could get myself to work harder than being honest, at anything ive worked for in my life. I havent had as much dedication to anything in my life than hockey

Archived