Sentry Hockey Neck Guard

Hello everyone, 

I would like to toss my hat into the ring of neck guards. We're a new brand new company offering (right now) neck gaurds and prototyping a mask re-pad kit. 

The main difference between our units and everyone else is the foam used. Sentry Hockey uses cutting edge patented auxetic foam technology. It's the only open cell, lightweight and breathable foam on the market that becomes more dense upon impact, and when stretched becomes thicker and wider. Our foam is very flexible, yet incredibly shock absorbent. We're waiting on some other samples, but we plan on doing comparative testing between our XPF auxetic foam and everything else I can get our hands on.

The outside covering material is a spandex-poly mix that has 4-way stretch and is water resistant. It can also be dye sublimated, we're working out the final details with that now.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Josh
www.sentryhockey.com

46503237_260986597920640_7986550910216044544_n.jpg.32854413b3931f792ea7744de09e4652.jpg

46471834_318234932237859_9019111140378017792_n.jpg

Looks pretty good from what I can see in those two pics.   Just a thought, I'd like to see a shot of one on a model/dummy.  It's a little hard to get a read on size with pics of the product on a white background.

Should I infer from the slide buckle on the left side that you won't be doing custom sizes and simply relying on the elastic/velcro strap for sizing, or is that just a feature to help goalies fine tune the fit?  I like the idea that at least 1/2 of the Velcro would be replaceable, as that was what failed on my Maltese.  I was able to devise a solution, but wasn't pleased to be forced to do so in under 2 years on a product I paid a ton for.  So if I have one suggestion: Don't cheap out on the Velcro!  :D

Hi,

here my thoughts:

I just researched what auxetic means: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDbSWSm5i8.

Not sure if and how that helps with the neckguard application, mostly local compression

* cuts from skates and sticks, usually taken care off by the wrapping material (BNQ certification?)

* impact from puck, sticks the filling made from gel or foams.

As you can see I am a fan of gel (noncompressible "illiquid" fluid) or dense foams. (

It all comes down to absorption and dissipation.  I could see https://www.d3o.com/ to work well.

Then coming to your shape:

The collar needs to wrap comfortably around the neck.  Certified cut resistance (BNQ) would be a plus.  Goalies get trampled on, hit by pucks during training, when more than one puck is on the ice.

Other than that, we should do an objective test.

Good luck with your business.

Thanks for the input guys and replies. To answer some questions:

The slider is to help fine tune the fit.  Also so the Velcro can easily be replaced after it wears out. We have 3 different sizes, small medium and large. The collar height is 1.5” high and a 2” is available on the large. We can do that on any size it’s just built to order and takes about 3 weeks turn around time. Everything else is shipped out in 1-2 days.

This is not cut/skate proof as the foam does cut easily. The outside would have to be a ballistic nylon to be skate proof.  It is not BNQ certified at the moment mainly due to the cost of the certification process. 

All prices are in USD.

Josh

3 hours ago, SentryHockey said:

Thanks for the input guys and replies. To answer some questions:

The slider is to help fine tune the fit.  Also so the Velcro can easily be replaced after it wears out. We have 3 different sizes, small medium and large. The collar height is 1.5” high and a 2” is available on the large. We can do that on any size it’s just built to order and takes about 3 weeks turn around time. Everything else is shipped out in 1-2 days.

This is not cut/skate proof as the foam does cut easily. The outside would have to be a ballistic nylon to be skate proof.  It is not BNQ certified at the moment mainly due to the cost of the certification process. 

All prices are in USD.

Josh

Is there going to be ballistic nylon added to the neck area or is not a option at this time ? Hearing that the foam would cut easily make me a little leary at buying one. Skate protection is my 1st go to when buying a neck guard, shot protection is next.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, Snowman30 said:

Is there going to be ballistic nylon added to the neck area or is not a option at this time ? Hearing that the foam would cut easily make me a little leary at buying one. Skate protection is my 1st go to when buying a neck guard, shot protection is next.

I'm working on a version now that'll be skate proof, but there's no timetable. There's a type of thermoplastic we'll be  experimenting with in chest protectors, that's used by the military for ballistics. There's a possibility we'll use that or a kevlar type of material. When it's available I'll post it here.

Josh

On 3/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, Snowman30 said:

While you obviously don't want to play around with safety, I'm thinking that foam of any decent thickness isn't that easy to cut with a glancing blow of a skate.  Maltese was the dominant player, and neither the Maltese, nor Roughneck or EcoProFoam use anything other than spandex to cover the material on the neck.  

Archived