What stick should I get?

Sean Donahue

3 hours ago, Sean Donahue said:

I need a new goalie stick for my upcoming season. I am starting high school hockey this year and want a high end stick. Please give me feedback.

im in hs too and i use pro v elite sticks, theyre lehner pro returns so they could be one-offs and have different specs than what you would buy, ive seen the stock pro elite in a pure goalie and didnt really notice any differences in the construction though (stiffness, curves, etc.)  but ive been using them 3 times a week since about the middle of January and havent broken one yet. Got them for 50$ each from this guy on Sideline swap Phil the Lion, hes got other sticks for sale if you want he has a bunch and will work with you. You can find a bunch of them online for great prices, theres one thats a 6 pack for 250- https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie-sticks/588407-vaughn-6-pack-of-pro-elite-goalie-sticks

Want a super light stick? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with a great feel? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with great rebound control? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with some fantastic whip for playing the puck? Get a Warrior

Look around for some CR1s getting put on clearance as it's not a migrating line until next year. It's a FANTASTIC stick. V1 pro and pro+ comes out in a month too.

Agreed.  My Warrior CR1 has been bulletproof and I can't wait to get my hands on the 3 pack of V1 Pro+ sticks I just ordered.  With that said, new composites from Bauer (2X) and CCM (Eflex 4) plus a new foam core line from CCM all drop in the next month.  If you don't absolutely NEED a new stick you'd be well served to wait for clearance prices on last year's models and the opportunity to check out all the new hotness.

12 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Agreed.  My Warrior CR1 has been bulletproof and I can't wait to get my hands on the 3 pack of V1 Pro+ sticks I just ordered.  With that said, new composites from Bauer (2X) and CCM (Eflex 4) plus a new foam core line from CCM all drop in the next month.  If you don't absolutely NEED a new stick you'd be well served to wait for clearance prices on last year's models and the opportunity to check out all the new hotness.

Have you taken many shots off the shaft of the stick? I use foam core Warriors at the moment. One of the teams I play against every week has a fellow with a super hard shot - just last night I made a high blocker side save with the shaft of the stick, and there's another dent in it to go with several others from his shots. I'd move to composites, but I'm worried about it snapping in half when that happens.

21 minutes ago, Teezle said:

Have you taken many shots off the shaft of the stick? I use foam core Warriors at the moment. One of the teams I play against every week has a fellow with a super hard shot - just last night I made a high blocker side save with the shaft of the stick, and there's another dent in it to go with several others from his shots. I'd move to composites, but I'm worried about it snapping in half when that happens.

You'll be fine. Composites have gotten MUCH more durable over the past few years. The carbon weave in the CR1 will laugh at a slapshot.

I haven't had a composite fully break on me, rather just soften up to the point of feeling bad, but it takes a while to get there.

31 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

You'll be fine. Composites have gotten MUCH more durable over the past few years. The carbon weave in the CR1 will laugh at a slapshot.

I haven't had a composite fully break on me, rather just soften up to the point of feeling bad, but it takes a while to get there.

Most definitely. I bought a pair of CR1's December 2017 and I'm starting to get to the point where the second one is seeing its wear and is on its way out. This is of course being on the ice 3-4 times a week.

@Teezle Durability of these sticks are great. If you're apprehensive about the cost, feel free to drop down to the CR2 or CR3. Sure you lose a little bit of performance, but it's far less cost prohibitive.

I think it's great to get input from people on here, but personally, I'd really recommend going to a store and trying them out yourself if that's available to you (I don't know where you're located). I know it seems odd, but I think sticks are one of the more personal pieces of gear out there, akin to a glove or chest pad. Super helpful to hear from people about how a stick's durability has held up, but I'd really want to hold them, first — especially if you're looking to invest in a high-end stick. 

2 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I think it's great to get input from people on here, but personally, I'd really recommend going to a store and trying them out yourself if that's available to you (I don't know where you're located). I know it seems odd, but I think sticks are one of the more personal pieces of gear out there, akin to a glove or chest pad. Super helpful to hear from people about how a stick's durability has held up, but I'd really want to hold them, first — especially if you're looking to invest in a high-end stick. 

I was just about to say that ☹️

I guess you can't really try a Northstar stick at a store but you can probably find an identical foam core as well as all the other sticks listed above.

3 hours ago, Teezle said:

Shaft saves aren't really a huge part of my arsenal.  😁  All joking aside, I can't think of any huge bombs that have hit the shaft, but it has been pretty much the only stick I've used for nearly a year now.  I'm on the ice twice a week minimum, and I'm usually not good about switching sticks between warmup and the game, so it's seen PLENTY of action and held up well.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, Teezle said:

I've taken a few shots to the shaft of my CR1 stick, no problems.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

@Teezle Durability of these sticks are great. If you're apprehensive about the cost, feel free to drop down to the CR2 or CR3. Sure you lose a little bit of performance, but it's far less cost prohibitive.

If youre worried about performance from senior level sticks, keep in mind Robin Lehner uses CR2s. I spoke to GoalieMonkey and they said theyre sending their stock of his specs (25' Paddle, Bishop curve, White/Blue color) to the Isles for him to keep using them

On 3/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, Teezle said:

I've taken tons of shots and still do with my sherwood bpm150 and it hasn't even dented, only paint chips and that's it.

if you're worried about a transition I think the cr1 would be your safest bet, but if you're looking for something super light I'd check out the sherwood.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, Aquilzz said:

Want a super light stick? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with a great feel? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with great rebound control? Get a Warrior
Want a stick with some fantastic whip for playing the puck? Get a Warrior

Look around for some CR1s getting put on clearance as it's not a migrating line until next year. It's a FANTASTIC stick. V1 pro and pro+ comes out in a month too.

It fairness, the CR1 can’t be called super light. It’s the heaviest stick in its class. It may be a great stick for $200... but let’s be fair about the weight. It’s heavy compared to other sticks that are Pro level at that price. Weight is only 1 category of a stick’s usability, but I don’t want to confuse or mislead anyone. 

@Sean Donahue what sticks are you using currently? Do you have a budget to worry about? 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:03 AM, TheGoalNet said:

It fairness, the CR1 can’t be called super light. It’s the heaviest stick in its class. It may be a great stick for $200... but let’s be fair about the weight. It’s heavy compared to other sticks that are Pro level at that price. Weight is only 1 category of a stick’s usability, but I don’t want to confuse or mislead anyone. 

@Sean Donahue what sticks are you using currently? Do you have a budget to worry about? 

Yep, no arguing that. But it's a very well-balanced stick. I feel like I had more control over directing pucks off of the CR1 than I did the 2S pro. 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

You're talking about peanuts in difference though lol.

No, the weight difference when holding a CR1 and 1S or 2S Pro is significant. 

But weight is only one component as mentioned above. 

I have used the 1S and CR1 most recently and like the CR1 more even though it's significantly heavier. It feels solid in my hand. 

So my suggestion is to get the new Warrior VR1 plus or whatever it's called when it comes out this month. Should be the best of both worlds I'm hoping. Solid feeling and lighter than the CR1. 

10 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

We're talking about less than a tenth of a pound difference between the 1S and CR1. It really is a minute amount.

Can you notice it? Sure. But I really would be reserved about saying it's significant.

I'd use significant for the difference between a foam core and a 1S

29 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

But weight is only one component as mentioned above. 

I have used the 1S and CR1 most recently and like the CR1 more even though it's significantly heavier. It feels solid in my hand. 

So my suggestion is to get the new Warrior VR1 plus or whatever it's called when it comes out this month. Should be the best of both worlds I'm hoping. Solid feeling and lighter than the CR1. 

The V1 Pro+ I had was very 1S in feeling.  I have both a pro return 1S and a CR1... The V1 Pro+ is a very nice stick and will easily be a huge success for Warrior

Archived