2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TitanG said:

So no more CCM mask for Fleury? Looks to be back in Bauer, at least in practice:

Probably he needs to get confidence back after a concussion. Even if All masks protects the same at that level, some guys may feel better wearing something that they had when they got injured.

12 minutes ago, chakal said:

Probably he needs to get confidence back after a concussion. Even if All masks protects the same at that level, some guys may feel better wearing something that they had when they got injured.

Interesting though because he's been in the CCM for a few years and I think may have had other concussions while in the CCM. Also, he used to be in the 961 SE, so I wonder if this is one of those or if it's a flavour of the new 961XPM?

On 2017-12-01 at 11:43 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@TitanG - My general understanding is that most pros care LESS than we do. However, some guys are nuts (Thomas, Lehner, Price (now ?)) or certain guys have that 1 thing they are about (like your cage example)

Yeah, I remember on YouTube there is so series of videos called “gear talk with the pros by pure hockey, and I think Schneider was the only goal if I remember correctly and he didn’t even know what model his equipment was, he was looking on the back and stuff to try and find a model name to say?but yeah, some guys are really anal about it and some guys just take whatever gets sent to them

@chakal @TitanG - My contact who is close to CCM, but does NOT work for them or is affiliated with them... 

told me that Flower was freaked post concussion. He ordered 2X Bauer’s and CCM made him 2 with updated padding. I’m assuming this be the D30 style. Looks like he’s favoring Bauer now. 

Again, we can only call that a rumor, but my guy has yet to be wrong... 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@chakal @TitanG - My contact who is close to CCM, but does NOT work for them or is affiliated with them... 

told me that Flower was freaked post concussion. He ordered 2X Bauer’s and CCM made him 2 with updated padding. I’m assuming this be the D30 style. Looks like he’s favoring Bauer now. 

You'd think both masks would fit just as well since they're custom padded and all, and considering that's the most important thing for mask safety between two top-of-the-line masks that are essentially made from similar materials. It's still strange to me because he's been in the CCM mask for years and it's not like Bauer's giving him his old SE anymore...

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Wait, CCM is padding masks with D30?

9 hours ago, TitanG said:

You'd think both masks would fit just as well since they're custom padded and all, and considering that's the most important thing for mask safety between two top-of-the-line masks that are essentially made from similar materials. It's still strange to me because he's been in the CCM mask for years and it's not like Bauer's giving him his old SE anymore...

Agreed on all points. I guess it just goes to show how much is simply mental... the old placebo effect if you will. So long as Flower thinks whatever he is doing is working, it is.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:26 PM, Scott said:

Connor Ingram of the Syracuse crunch (Tampa bay lightning) using a Bauer nme 10 mask, or atleast the shell. He’s the first pro that I’ve seen using an nme mask that isn’t the new unreleased one...

That’s NME VTX look at the graphic on the top of the shell. 

Someone sent me the same pic on IG and pointed that out.

hes also got the black padding 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Jarry with a yellow knob. Is this allowed or the did the league give up on the knob itself being white? 

My understanding is that the knob has always had to be white, or at least a light colour as to not have it be mixed up with the puck if the knob happened to enter the net during play.

36 minutes ago, Murray said:

My understanding is that the knob has always had to be white, or at least a light colour as to not have it be mixed up with the puck if the knob happened to enter the net during play.

It has to be white, no question about it:

"NHL Rules and Regulations for Goal Keeper Sticks: Stick Shaft Protection
At the top of the stick shaft, there must be a knob of white tape or some other protective covering, which is approved by the league. The knob of protective material should be equal to or thicker than 1/2″. If a player refuses to make adjustments to the covering, he will be deemed “unfit” for play.

Failure to comply with this provision of the rule will result in the goalkeeper's stick being deemed unfit for play. The goalkeeper's stick must be changed without the application of a minor penalty."

The last time I remember someone getting called out on this, it was Ben Scrivens in 2014, and that was because the opposing coach pointed it out to the refs. I'd imagine the referees simply didn't notice that Jarry's knob was yellow. It's also possible that referees would only go out of their way to correct it if it was brought to their attention. Either way, I'm sure non-white knobs have gone under the radar before, and it will happen again.

scrivens02.jpg

On 12/2/2017 at 9:15 AM, chakal said:

Not sure to remember well, but I think Michel at Protechsport once told me that all Roy's masks were made by Michel Lefebvre himself. That usually Michel Lefebvre was making the mold for each pro client and then, Protechsport was making those guys the following masks for the rest of their career. But not for Roy, all by Lefebvre himself. Maybe someone can confirm that my memories are right.

Michel from Protechsport confirmed it to me one of the first time I went. Roy's model that he has is a copy of a mold, using all the most interesting features that Roy had over the years. But purely speaking, Roy never had a mold exactly like the one Protechsport have, only Michel Lefebvre build Roy's mask until the end of his career.

So yeah, never will anyone be able to say they have a pure replica of a Roy mask... Always a best of.

13 hours ago, hamelingraphix@hotmail.com said:

Michel from Protechsport confirmed it to me one of the first time I went. Roy's model that he has is a copy of a mold, using all the most interesting features that Roy had over the years. But purely speaking, Roy never had a mold exactly like the one Protechsport have, only Michel Lefebvre build Roy's mask until the end of his career.

So yeah, never will anyone be able to say they have a pure replica of a Roy mask... Always a best of.

I can somewhat corroborate this. I remember flipping through pics of one of the factory tours that was put on a couple years ago.  I forget if it was of the Lefevre factory or of Protechsport. 

One of the prominent pieces that was displayed was a mold of Roy’s head with a huge dimple coming out of it, so that no one would be able to make another shell off that mold. 

Archived