2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, John said:

Regarding Nilsson's setup: I think it's a very cool idea that is ruined by letting the green and blue meet. To match their uniforms it should be white in between. 

I am a huge fan of Nilsson's set up. I love solid colored set ups 

Thanks for joining! We hope you enjoy 

1 hour ago, mik said:

Luongo:

Just for the sake of argument (this IS an internet forum), Luongo's P2 set here has a blue base, with overlaying green swooshes and white accents. But one could certainly argue that they are predominately green ;] Nicest set of Canucks pads since they started to return to this color scheme. Nicest all-time is still Kirk McLean, imho.

I do agree with the others who said a small white outline would really improve Nilsson's setup.

Bauer has never been my favorite when it comes to graphics, but I think the new 2S graphic missed the mark on a whole new level. The minimalist 'wedge' design is not even the big issue -- it's not perfect, but not that bad either. But the balance of the color zones? Pretty pathetic. 

I mean, is there even a point to including the yellow in this set? As if the yellow streaks weren't paltry enough, they're completely obscured by the gradient/pointillist grey border. Bauer should have made the size of those color accents much bigger. They would have filled out more of the bad, and they'd allow the second color to be more visible.

Now that I think of it, can one even order a dark based 2S graphic? Or is it always a white base? I'm not a big fan of the latest CCM graphics, but you have to hand it to them - the amount of possibilities with the color zones is pretty impressive, and you can get some really colorful and unique looks. Can't say they same for Bauer, very limited.

unnamed.png.8144aa363369eaed6a05c1c0f4c0ee28.png

One thing the 2S wedge design has right? They all flow together well while on the goalie. Also, I think Bauer is keeping these pads limited with customization as it ruins the brand image of them.

Everyone knows that they are 2S pads. Unlike Vaughn or Brian's in that manner.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

One thing the 2S wedge design has right? They all flow together well while on the goalie. Also, I think Bauer is keeping these pads limited with customization as it ruins the brand image of them.

Everyone knows that they are 2S pads. Unlike Vaughn or Brian's in that manner.

Yeah, that's why I don't mind the 'wedge' design too much. It's nothing great, but it works. I'll take simple and boring over the overly-intricate tribal designs any day.

I see your point about Bauer wanting to preserve their brand recognizability, but I might counter that potential customers would value better coloring options. While there are certainly plenty of goalies who can't recognize every brand and model in their sleep like most of us, I still think most goalies have at least some eye for detail, to the point that they could easily spot that these are Bauer pads, regardless of how uniform the graphic was. If Bauer were more concerned with brand recognition than making a great looking, highly-customizable pad, I doubt they'd put Bauer Posterboy Henry Lundqvist in a super-customized individual graphic.

I think the 1S and 2S is so good that the standard design is a status symbol. 

You wouldn't take Ford Raptor and pay extra to look like a last generation standard F-150. You know?

The design is is boring for sure. But man, I'd take a set for sure.

Archived