2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just looking at the Devils' Instagram, and if my eyes are right, it looks as though Schneider's wearing a Vaughn glove. I know that he ended up in the same Vaughn pads/CCM gloves/Warrior stick after testing out a lot of different gear during the off-season, but it looks as though he's still experimenting. I was really hoping he'd be in the retro Brians' setup he tested this summer.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.34.15 PM.png

It is pretty rare, but Schneider's rocked Velocity pads and Reebok/CCM gloves since he became a pro. I think he's just stuck with what's worked for him.

From what I've always heard and read, most goalies aren't having that much money thrown at them for endorsing gear to begin with, if any money at all. There are definitely exceptions; I would imagine Lundqvist and Price have decent money coming from Bauer and CCM, respectively. But when you take into account that a) Many guys are making pretty healthy salaries to begin with, and b) Goalies are creatures of habit and superstition, one can see why a goalie might not want to ditch gear they're accustomed to for a little bit of extra cash. I don't think many goalies are being offered any money at all.

And sadly, the New Jersey market isn't a driving force in the goalie gear market. I grew up in NJ for Brodeur's entire career, and there was only a brief period where you could tell his gear was driving sales and filling up pro shops (roughly 1997-2001). Now, you could blame that on the fact that Brodeur-style pads were already relatively outdated by the early 2000's, but at the end of the day, NJ is just not a very popular hockey market, and brands that want to invest endorsement dollars in goalies are going to look at Montreal, Toronto, New York, Boston, etc. 

I'd be curious if anyone hear has any knowledge of which goalies are paid to wear gear, and how much they're compensated.

35 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

So rare to see a modern NHL goalie with stick, gloves, pads and mask all different brands. Was not enough money thrown at Schneider?

When you make 6 million a year, it's not a 150K, or even less, endorsement deal that will make you change your mind on what you want to wear to play good and maybe get 7 million on your next contract.

5 minutes ago, chakal said:

When you make 6 million a year, it's not a 150K, or even less, endorsement deal that will make you change your mind on what you want to wear to play good and maybe get 7 million on your next contract.

If it's not money, I just find it fascinating. He's not an on-ice billboard like so many others.

26 minutes ago, chakal said:

Where does that $150k or less number come from (and I'm not being skeptical)? Do you know anything about what certain goalies have been paid to wear certain brands? I've always been really curious about this. 

23 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Where does that $150k or less number come from (and I'm not being skeptical)? Do you know anything about what certain goalies have been paid to wear certain brands? I've always been really curious about this. 

The only number I know was what Theodore got from Itech to switch when he was in Montreal. It was 375K/year and it was considered the biggest endorsement deal for a goalie back then. So, I assume that since it was Montreal, the biggest market for gear, all other markets would be less, in fact, Theodore's deal went to 0 or something like that when traded to Colorado, because Colorado was a small market for gear.

I've seen that endorsement deals depends on where you play and if you're an icon or not. Roy and Brodeur were icons and no matter where they would play, people would look at them.

So, since Schneider is not in a big market, not a household name neither even if his really good, I don't think he would get even 1/3rd of what Theodore got. I think even Price now doesn't get that much more than what Theodore got back then.

So, I'm going only by deduction.

32 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

If it's not money, I just find it fascinating. He's not an on-ice billboard like so many others.

You also have to take in consideration that goalies and players often are more tied to a rep than a brand. I mean, if you really like your rep you'll deal with him no matter which brand he's working for. So, if you like a guy that much, you'll take his gear, the whole line. It's just easier that way than having to deal with 2 or 3 different reps.

Plus, if you want some mods, all brands are good at it.

I would guess Bauer is paying Andersen a decent chunk for kind of being the face of Bauer along with Hank and Dubnyk. And of course that just happened since he's now the Leaf's goalie. 

I wonder if/how much players and goalies factor in the endorsement potential when choosing a team. Like if Stamkos would have signed with Leafs instead of staying with TB, would his equipment and off ice endorsements triple/quadruple or more in value for him? I'm guessing so. 

16 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

I would guess Bauer is paying Andersen a decent chunk for kind of being the face of Bauer along with Hank and Dubnyk. And of course that just happened since he's now the Leaf's goalie. 

I wonder if/how much players and goalies factor in the endorsement potential when choosing a team. Like if Stamkos would have signed with Leafs instead of staying with TB, would his equipment and off ice endorsements triple/quadruple or more in value for him? I'm guessing so. 

Likely yes, but at the same time I don't think the endorsements are even close to those in other sports (eg. Basketball the stars can easily make more in endorsements than in salary). 

I know a bit on this topic... 

Basically every NHL starter has the opportunity to earn endorsement money. Many of the future stars or "cool back ups" can get smaller deals too. However, it's not the shoe deal $$$ we are used to hearing about from Nike, Adidas, and UA.  @chakal 's assessment of the team contract value vs low 6 figure endorsement for a "blue chip" guy is pretty accurate

Schneider has literally not changed much about his set up until this year. There have been preseason pics of him many times in a full set and it doesnt stick. He could paid if he wants, but sticks to what he is comfortable in. His set up bores me, but I admire him. 

To my knowledge, the blue chips guys earning at the high end are Price, Lundqvist, Rask, and Murray. Price is in a stratosphere all his own and makes at least 2x, if not more, than anyone else. Anderson, Gibson, Holtby, Duby, and Bobs could be there in the "blue chip"price point, but I haven't specifically heard their names. As I do have info on the topic, but it is somewhat limited, I don't want to overstep any boundaries and speculate what Holtby is making in endorsements. 

Lastly, stick contracts are a thing too. As I learn more about the business side of the sport, that was one of my big surprises. 

If you play in Toronto, even in 4th line, you get $$. But in Arizona you must play in 1st line. Agents get big part of endorsement deals, so they like to sign new deals. it´s not always money, it could be also gears for local kids/friends or something else.

I don´t know about North America but Bauer doesn´t use Dubnyk in Europe, it´s always Lundqvist. 

@Korppi32 - pretty comfortable with my sources and stating any decent NHL guy is getting cash 

I’ve heard guys in the minors might get gifts instead of cash 

I agree with your statement about TO, but not entirely. Montoya certainly has more value than Domingue, but a guy like Jones is getting paid in SJ 

I’m sure Montoya to a CCM mask was no accident 

15 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Maybe this will be the final year that Mike Vaughn will stop living in the stone age and increase the options for face transfer logos. Bloody upcharge to have stiched on Vaughn logos like that ^. Inexcusable.

I love Vaughn, but it's like the analog form of goalie gear when you compare it to the likes of Brian's Optik and Bauer's new equipment. I don't know why they can't produce colored logos (either stitched on or flat).

I just have to say.  Oscar Dansk's setup is quickly becoming my favourite in the league.  It is a great setup that works with both the home and away jerseys which is rare in the show these days.  Quite often goalies have either close to all white pads or a couple have all colour.  This set works just so nicely with both!

59f4114189880458eac00200-245381.jpg

680.jpg

9469507_web1_hkn-knights_102417cs_017.jpg

cropped_2017-10-22T060906Z_380953708_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NHL-ST-LOUIS-BLUES-AT-VEGAS-GOLDEN-KNIGHTS.jpg

DMuODwvUIAE8S92.jpg

44 minutes ago, Sir Psycho T said:

As someone who once worked there, many years ago, Lundqvist first contract with Bauer was over 500k but that's rare, we didn't pay any other goalie more then 100k as I remember

That makes sense to me. Hank is Bauer's flagship goalie. If they lost him to one of the other guys, I don't think they have anyone in their gear of that caliber. It'd definitely hurt. They HAVE to throw some sort of money at him.

Archived