Jump to content
TheGoalNet

2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I wonder what the  percentage is of pro goalies jumping to another brand after demoing a set is?  

In this thread we have quick in ccm as well as Nuevy.   Both long time Vaughn guys.  

Was there ever pics of Roy in Vaughn or cooper?  

I don't know that 

but I'm pretty fascinated that Quick & Nuvy are both in really old Vaughn models. I think they're hybrids of V2 and V4.

I wonder if this is just coincidence or if Vaughn maybe ran out of the old components and are discontinuing it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't know that 

but I'm pretty fascinated that Quick & Nuvy are both in really old Vaughn models. I think they're hybrids of V2 and V4.

I wonder if this is just coincidence or if Vaughn maybe ran out of the old components and are discontinuing it? 

I'd have a hard time believing that Vaughn wouldn't try to cater to Quick's needs. He's one of their poster boys. Losing him, even as just a billboard, would be a hit to Vaughn.

 

Edit: It's the same thing we see every off season. Pro's trying out different brands just to try it. I remember a few years ago when pictures of Rinne were posted on GSBB of him wearing some Bauer total ones and everyone was worried he was switching from his usual Reebok set up. Obviously that didn't happen.

I'm sure a lot of these guys are just trying it out to see what the fuss is about. I doubt these guys are going to make such a drastic switch in specs since they've been grandfathered into some old spec gear for years.

Edited by coopaloop1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd have a hard time believing that Vaughn wouldn't try to cater to Quick's needs. He's one of their poster boys. Losing him, even as just a billboard, would be a hit to Vaughn.

 

Edit: It's the same thing we see every off season. Pro's trying out different brands just to try it. I remember a few years ago when pictures of Rinne were posted on GSBB of him wearing some Bauer total ones and everyone was worried he was switching from his usual Reebok set up. Obviously that didn't happen.

I'm sure a lot of these guys are just trying it out to see what the fuss is about. I doubt these guys are going to make such a drastic switch in specs since they've been grandfathered into some old spec gear for years.

Agreed 100%. Halak wore Retroflex in a bunch of pre-season games and Price tested Warrior's. I am just saying that it's a  coincidence that both guys are testing the same pads at the same time and fun to speculate! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agreed 100%. Halak wore Retroflex in a bunch of pre-season games and Price tested Warrior's. I am just saying that it's a  coincidence that both guys are testing the same pads at the same time and fun to speculate! 

 

Speculating is bad! No speculation is allowed. Only facts. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matej Tomek - Interesting story. Played for UND and Slovakia at WJC last year. Won't start at UND, so he is going back to play junior hockey next year

IMG_7681.PNG

Hansen from the BCHL. Non drafted invitee to camp that won the tournament. Nice story, but I will be shocked if he gets a contract. The Flyers have more goalie prospects than minor league teams. 

IMG_7682.PNG

Pickard demoing SLR and rocking his AVS bucket still

IMG_7686.PNG

No clue and don't like the Devils enough to get on google. Vapor seems to be en vogue at development camp. 

IMG_7691.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be so beyond surprised to see Neuvy or Quick switching.  They have perfect specs provided by Vaughn.  It seems to be a case of if it ain't broke...  I don't see those guys flipping like Gibson did last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gp34 said:

I would be so beyond surprised to see Neuvy or Quick switching.  They have perfect specs provided by Vaughn.  It seems to be a case of if it ain't broke...  I don't see those guys flipping like Gibson did last year. 

From what I heard, Gibson only changed for an endorsement. I could see that in Quick's case, but I doubt Nuvy has much marketing value. I would still bet that both are back in Vaughn next season and the same pads they have worn for 10 seasons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, TheGoalNet said:

From what I heard, Gibson only changed for an endorsement. I could see that in Quick's case, but I doubt Nuvy has much marketing value. I would still bet that both are back in Vaughn next season and the same pads they have worn for 10 seasons. 

This is true, CCM did make a push for Gibson which included that endorsement.  I remember CCM making that announcement on Instagram.  Furthermore, here is some shots of Quick's pads with some of what looks to be his specs.  Photos from Goalie Gear Nerd on Instagram, good follow for sure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mik said:

Is it the photo or Quick has realy big tight rise on this pads?

Thigh rise does look big, but I'd bet the CCMs sit more upright than his Vaughns

ran into the same thing when I wore XL 1S vs my Brian's. Both 37" tall, but the 1S looked and felt like 2" taller, haha

the more amazing thing about that photo is quick's quick disconnect straps! This is def the Pat Lefebvre era. Michael would have never allowed that shit on Kohos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, he has a double break in the CCM's.

He's been pretty much a single break in Vaughn's as far as I can remember. I'm guessing this is due to the more rigid foundation of a Eflex pad in comparison to the velocity model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that too for the breaks.  Looks similar to the set that Brian Elliot was wearing.  His had the double external break as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt CCM would go to that extent to build a Vaughn pad style pad for Quick if he wasn't going to wear it. Most companies just send basic spec'd gear with some minor mods that the pros have for them to try out 1st before they go all out and build them a set in there exact specs.

Chances are Vaughn is ditching the old lines and only going to make what they have out now. Ryan Miller, and Brian Elliott went through it with Reebok and Bauer. They were an old line and finally after so many years they both refused to make that line for them so they switch brands to a company that would make something close to went they wanted. It not productive enough for a company to keep making a line that is 5 plus years old, when they are trying to market the new style they just put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be true.  There are not too many examples of CCM recreating certain styles of stock for some goalies, but you can see here that they have managed to make Braden Holtby's P3 specs for a long time.  That width of leg channel is not stock for the EFlex 3.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by gp34
Additional pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 8:50 PM, gp34 said:

This could be true.  There are not too many examples of CCM recreating certain styles of stock for some goalies, but you can see here that they have managed to make Braden Holtby's P3 specs for a long time.  That width of leg channel is not stock for the EFlex 3.

One huge difference between CCM and Vaughn here though.

The V4 / V2 combo pad that Nuvy, Quick, and Schnieder wear is a completely different pad core. Vaughn may have ran out of stock or is tired of supporting such an old product.

Holtby's pad is just moving the wraps out to the edges of the pad. That's very easy to accommodate. If you look at the inner gusset of his EF3, it's the EF3 style. 

With all that said, if Quick is considering EF3, why not consider V7 and just get a really tight leg channel. This will be interesting to see where it ends up. . . 

I have reached out to Vaughn for comment. I don't expect a response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the carbon core that are within the V7's, what other materials are in the V2 and V4's?  It's interesting that these guys still use cores that old.  Almost like we are getting new versions of Artus Irbe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gp34 said:

Aside from the carbon core that are within the V7's, what other materials are in the V2 and V4's?  It's interesting that these guys still use cores that old.  Almost like we are getting new versions of Artus Irbe!

I believe the leather straps run thru the pad core in some fashion. In the newer models, the straps just are attached to the outer edges of the pad. 

Is V7 a solid core. The V2 / V4 would have been made in the fashion with multiple pieces of foam. The older pads still have shrinkage issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 7:46 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Wings Camp

Lot of Vapors 

 

IMG_7573.PNG

 

This OG Epic graphic glove works surprisingly well with the Pro Vs. Solid choice on his part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 10:12 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Interesting, he has a double break in the CCM's.

He's been pretty much a single break in Vaughn's as far as I can remember. I'm guessing this is due to the more rigid foundation of a Eflex pad in comparison to the velocity model.

Keep in mind recently he switched to the V6 core which allowed for a much softer, flexible top roll with a single break. Rask made the change from the double to single for the same reason. Quick very well could have been wearing a double internal, single external break Vaughn w/ is V4, V5 skinned V4s, etc, and wants to see how flexible the CCMs really are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, djtendy said:

Keep in mind recently he switched to the V6 core which allowed for a much softer, flexible top roll with a single break. Rask made the change from the double to single for the same reason. Quick very well could have been wearing a double internal, single external break Vaughn w/ is V4, V5 skinned V4s, etc, and wants to see how flexible the CCMs really are.

Are you 100% he switched to the V6? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rough quality pic but it is Anderson doing promo for Bauer.  Apparently it is the second generation of the Supreme gear.

10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×